Custom Water Cooled Desk - 56k warning. Lotsa Pictures! *Now with Table of Contents*

PBaines

So here is what the new desk will look like. I am just chopping and changing my original desk, however still using the draws and probably the legs. Am only be going to change the top bit around.

-snip-

Damn, that's a lot of detail put into the parts.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

You'll make a seperate thread?

So many things I could write here... things like this.

• 5 months later...

Did you start a new thread for the new version of the desk??? if so please give me the link

• 2 weeks later...

I know you already posted a list of the necessary parts for this (truly amazing) build, and their prices. But more specifically what quantity of wood would somebody need to buy, and what length, width, thickness, or type would you recommend. Also what tools would you need, and what level of skill or experience with woodworking or general craftsmanship would you recommend somebody have before they blow all their money and not be able to build it. Besides tools maybe some other things necessary, like rails for the drawers, screws, biscuits, etc. And all of this is for the desk only, not including the PC components which I would decide for myself, and probably have my friend who helped with my previous build help me on.

Keep up the EPIC work. 

I know you already posted a list of the necessary parts for this (truly amazing) build, and their prices. But more specifically what quantity of wood would somebody need to buy, and what length, width, thickness, or type would you recommend. Also what tools would you need, and what level of skill or experience with woodworking or general craftsmanship would you recommend somebody have before they blow all their money and not be able to build it. Besides tools maybe some other things necessary, like rails for the drawers, screws, biscuits, etc. And all of this is for the desk only, not including the PC components which I would decide for myself, and probably have my friend who helped with my previous build help me on.

Keep up the EPIC work. 

He's been done already. Like months ago. Sorry if it sounds rude to you. It's true.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Late to the dance but having read all 37 pages of this thread i can only say what an inspiration you've been.  Your patience is what I believe I admire the most.  I am rather impatient and draw strength from what I have seen in your effort.  Thank you for motivating myself and others to extend their reach.  What has impressed me the most is your dligence in documenting the process.  That alone deserved tremendous praise and admiration.

I will begin a  build that I expect to be a lengthy one.  My initial goal was a simple water cooled case build but you have driven me to  extend my reach and replace my 25 year old desk with something a bit more appropriate.  My budget is sufficient however my patience may not be  :) 

Keep up the EPIC work. 

If you stop and look at the desk, think about how things have been done. Really, the process of doing this all is relatively simple. However, all though it is simple, the thing that gets people is the precision. It can be quite tricky to use a router, can be a little tricky to use your biscuit joiner and get all of the sections to line up with each other. If you can dedicate a lot of time, and practice on scrap bits of timber completing a project like this, all though time consuming is very possible to an extreme rookie.

In terms of wood used, how long is a piece of string? 

To figure that out you will need to make a plan (or like me and make a model) so you can work it all out. As for thickness, i think the timber I used was about 12-13mm thick

Late to the dance but having read all 37 pages of this thread i can only say what an inspiration you've been.  Your patience is what I believe I admire the most.  I am rather impatient and draw strength from what I have seen in your effort.  Thank you for motivating myself and others to extend their reach.  What has impressed me the most is your dligence in documenting the process.  That alone deserved tremendous praise and admiration.

I will begin a  build that I expect to be a lengthy one.  My initial goal was a simple water cooled case build but you have driven me to  extend my reach and replace my 25 year old desk with something a bit more appropriate.  My budget is sufficient however my patience may not be  :)

Cheers man! I promise I will get to finishing this desk off, it will look relatively the same to the above sketches but will finalise nearer to when I can start it. I am working on a 1972 and 1979 toyota corolla's that i'd like to get them out of the way first before I poor more money into it.

I look forward to seeing your thread, as I do with every other desk build!

Would you happen to have a list of all the parts used in this project? Some of the parts you've used I can't seem to find because I don't know the proper name for them. 

yip sure thing, it is somewhere in this thread but won't make you dig your way through it!

cost%20of%20desk.png

yip sure thing, it is somewhere in this thread but won't make you dig your way through it!

cost%20of%20desk.png

You wouldn't happen to remember the manufacturer for the grills and the fittings would you and maybe where you bought them? Love the desk by the way!

Very good job! It took me almost an hour to go through the topic! And I was rushing, mostly looking at pictures...

You wouldn't happen to remember the manufacturer for the grills and the fittings would you and maybe where you bought them? Love the desk by the way!

Bitspower gear all around man, I got them from PerformancePCS too :)

• 6 months later...

Well well. Bit of a bump here. I have gotten some free time in the coming weeks and will endeavor to get the revised version done. I have also finalised my sketch for it too, what you see is what it will look like :)

Be ready for awesome 2.0

screen3.png

screen4.png

screen5.png

I have also called this desk

Might get it printed out and put it on the glass

Erection Resurrection 

I have also called this desk

Might get it printed out and put it on the glass

Erection Resurrection 

Well then, despite the name, looking forward to see how the progress with the Desk gets on. =p

"Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

Well then, despite the name, looking forward to see how the progress with the Desk gets on. =p

I'm kidding, I won't be calling it that.

To me it is just "The Desk"

You have a goat?! and a dog?!   omg yes

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

I'm kidding, I won't be calling it that.

To me it is just "The Desk"

I was hoping you'd say that, but perhaps it does require some sort of name, after all people name their Cars, Computers, Architecture, like any other this is a work of art. You have worked relentlessly for some time on designing and creating this desk, a name would serve it will. =)

"Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

• 2 months later...

Looking back on this and it is still just so awesome. I need one of these.

I'm late to the party but you know what they say, better late than never.

38pages

1.5gb of SSD space gone (pics) :P

Thoroughly enjoyed every bit of the build! You're a master craftsman and your pets are awesome hah :)

Good to see your pup made it through, huge dog lover here.

Looking forward to your next adventure.

:P :P :P