Custom Water Cooled Desk - 56k warning. Lotsa Pictures! *Now with Table of Contents*

PBaines

I pay $115 NZD for the speed I get, with a 150GB datacap..

super jealous of your speeds :(

Yeah up in Alaska we pay for 15 download/5 upload with a 150 gb data cap for 135 us dollars a month. I wish internet prices were reasonable in some places

there is a monopoly or bilopoly in the USA or something? because in spain internet companys do almost everything to keep you 

2773029084.pngthats mine 

Nobody cares, dont turn this into a speedtest thread 

Anyways, enough talk about internet :P We are here for a build log!

Will be posting this small update just because it will be a little while before I can do mass amount of work on the next points to cross off the list.

here I started the initial planning for the cablemanagement. 

I measured the width of a sleeved 24 Pin cable I had in the wardrobe and used that as my guide for how I will be having the stand offs

IMG_6662.jpg

As you can see, The cable will sit in there like that. With a clamp on that will be help by the ends of the M3 motherboard standoffs. Might use some clear plexi/acrylic. Not sure yet! As I have said, that is still in the planning stage

IMG_6665.jpg

Can I use the original PSU 8-Pin EPS connectors?

IMG_6666.jpg

I could... But would rather go custom :D

IMG_6670.jpg

First wire measured to length, and crimped

IMG_6673.jpg

I lengthened the wires so that when they wires are basically horizontal they have a curve in the end. This just makes things tider at the CPU end and will make cablemanagement easier to do

IMG_6675.jpg

After about an HOUR I had finally cut all 8 wires, crimped them and plugged them all into their respective holes. Is a lot more time consuming than one would think 

IMG_6681.jpg

As you can see, with the wires flat at one end, the wires have been staggered

IMG_6684.jpg

Just making sure that the cable will sit how I want it to

IMG_6686.jpg

IMG_6688.jpg

Time to start the 24-Pin, the thing I love MOST about the AX***i series is that they basically use 1:1 wiring (if you don't know what that means it doesn't matter :P ) so that will make the cable management so much easier, and basically if I have enough brain as I think I do, I shouldn't put the wires in the wrong holes eg, a 12v wire on the Motherboard end goes into a 5v plug. NUT GUD.

IMG_6691.jpg

IMG_6693.jpg

IMG_6694.jpg

IMG_6695.jpg

Had a spare motherboard, thought I would just test the new cables out, looks like all is well

IMG_6696.jpg

I received my 40 Link adapters from the states, I probably won't end up using 40 but is always handy to have a few extra.

IMG_6742.jpg

Time to start putting them all in place, and adding my Crystal Tubes. Not sure if previously stated in the log but the tubing I am using is 12/8mm. Where the Bitspower ones are 12/10mm. This is not a bad thing at all, just means I need less coolant which = win ;)

IMG_6745.jpg

IMG_6748.jpg

IMG_6750.jpg

IMG_6751.jpg

Here is where the tube splits into three. Just to take up the space, and do something different is why I did this really. Just to point out though, as the water flows through the loop and it comes to this split join it will go through the middle one mainly, and just move the side ones a bit. There will be no pressure issues when joining back to being a single route.

IMG_6753.jpg

I needed my Q fitting to go into my radiator. Which I will be using a side port on the NeXXoS Monsta Rad. For this I need a hole in the middle board of the desk. To do so I will be using this drill bit here, known as a "wood spade". She's a bit rusty, but still bloody sharp. It is a 20mm Piece

IMG_6754.jpg

making sure my extender fitting sits in it 

IMG_6755.jpg

IMG_6756.jpg

After marking out where the hole needs to be using my Sliding Square.

IMG_6765.jpg

Hole is set

IMG_6766.jpg

Top stop the other side of the wood to shatter apon drilling through, you drill half on one side, half on the other

IMG_6767.jpg

Lovely Jovely

IMG_6768.jpg

(awkward picture)

IMG_6769.jpg

Same was done on the other side

IMG_6760.jpg

IMG_6761.jpg

To measure the exact right length, to keep the 3-way splitted tubing square I used this little tool. Cannot remember the name of the top of my head, but I am sure someone will :P

I got the top measurement of where the link comes out, then square that up at the bottom and thus measure from the long horizontal piece going from elbow to elbow-to-rad fitting

IMG_6774.jpg

The process of getting the links to size goes like this

Measure

IMG_6776.jpg

Cut with dremel, very carefully

IMG_6777.jpg

Sand with rough, 120 grit paper

IMG_6778.jpg

sand with super smooth 1200grit paper

IMG_6779.jpg

And BALLBAG. I needed one last piece of about 550mm, the last piece I had of link was 500mm :( Looks Like I will not be leak testing today! Another metre of 12/8mm tubing to get.. 

Anyways, this is where we are at now

IMG_6780.jpg

IMG_6781.jpg

IMG_6782.jpg

IMG_6783.jpg

IMG_6784.jpg

IMG_6786.jpg

IMG_6787.jpg

PBaines, on 14 Jun 2013 - 2:12 PM, said:

Here is where the tube splits into three. Just to take up the space, and do something different is why I did this really. Just to point out though, as the water flows through the loop and it comes to this split join it will go through the middle one mainly, and just move the side ones a bit. There will be no pressure issues when joining back to being a single route.

IMG_6753.jpg

Incorrect. If I recall correctly from my fluid dynamics lessons from two years ago, liquid will distribute itself according to the resistance of the three pipes. Thus, the shortest pipe will have more flow in it than the longest one.

That said, bends and coupling pieces have way more influence on the pressure drop and flow resistance of the pipe than the length of the tube (in a pipe this short, that is), so you can assume the liquid too distribute itself evenly along the three pipes.

Edit: I forgot to take into account the right angles used to split the path. These would raise the resistance of the outer tubes, thus making the liquid more centered in the middle tube. I would sitll not say that there will be 'just a littile bit' of flow in the outer tubes.

What will you be using as supports for those long tubing runs? i see you currently have something in place, but will that be permanent or do you have a suitably classy solution in mind which keeps inline with the rest of the build?

MG2R, on 15 Jun 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

Incorrect. If I recall correctly from my fluid dynamics lessons from two years ago, liquid will distribute itself according to the resistance of the three pipes. Thus, the shortest pipe will have more flow in it than the longest one.

That said, bends and coupling pieces have way more influence on the pressure drop and flow resistance of the pipe than the length of the tube (in a pipe this short, that is), so you can assume the liquid too distribute itself evenly along the three pipes.

Edit: I forgot to take into account the right angles used to split the path. These would raise the resistance of the outer tubes, thus making the liquid more centered in the middle tube. I would sitll not say that there will be 'just a littile bit' of flow in the outer tubes.

Basically all I got from that was that the main flow of of fluid will be in the middle piece, and the outer two will have a lot more resistance. That is what I was trying to say :)

Flangas, on 15 Jun 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

What will you be using as supports for those long tubing runs? i see you currently have something in place, but will that be permanent or do you have a suitably classy solution in mind which keeps inline with the rest of the build?

I will be making some nice Rimu supports, That will be in the following update :)

Basically all I got from that was that the main flow of of fluid will be in the middle piece, and the outer two will have a lot more resistance. That is what I was trying to say :)

Yeah, I know, that's why I put the edit in there ;)

Lookin' good!

I am so looking forward to the end result.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

not even close! lol,

I am on 4Mb/s down and  and 0.5Mb/s up :(

noob...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2773684412.png

i live like three kilometers outside of Copenhagen...

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

The craftsmanship that went into this is so serious, dood is puttin in work! Respect for the awesome & super unique build! By the way I didn't see anywhere, where you gona be puttin this bad boy when it's finished?

Keep it up!

So many things I could write here... things like this.

I CANNOT wait for more! 

I just got my first big boy job and just looking at these photos are making me so STOKED to build mine!

Been around since the beginning of LTT & the forums, but mostly just lurk!

Looks amazing! Can't wait to see this finished!! By the way, will the water flow into the pumps properly if they're lying sideways? Won't it allow air pockets to sneak through? You should tilt them up against the back to show through the glass more and avoid this problem. ;) that's what I would do :p

An ultimate lurker                My Current Rig

CPU- I5 3570K GPU- AMD HD7950 Motherboard- Asus P8H77-I Ram- 8GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo SSD- Samsung 256GB 850 Pro, 256GB OCZ Agility

Hard Drive- 2TB WD Green Power Supply- Silverstone 450W SFX Case- Bitfenix Prodigy Operating Systems- Windows 7/OSX Mavericks Monitor- HP Pavillion 23BW IPS 

Fantastic update! Love how its looking, can't wait to see it with some liquid flowing!

To everyone complaining about their internet connection, think yourselves lucky, I get 0.8mbps down and even less up, it SUCKS. 

I pay $115 NZD for the speed I get, with a 150GB datacap..

super jealous of your speeds :(

Dam' that sucks.

there is a monopoly or bilopoly in the USA or something? because in spain internet companys do almost everything to keep you 

Exactly, I can't understand it either... After all as a company in fields like Internet service what you have to do is to keep your clients. In my country when fiber came in, everyone jumped to the first company that brought it into the city, didn't matter that you were already subscribed to another company, and even tough the ISP I left because it didn't have fiber when a new company arrived came back in force with better fiber speeds I didn't change again. This one is already awesome and it includes a free USB stick for internet too. As a side note my internet is 100Mbps both ways, and 7.2Mbps on the USB stick (only 11Euro/month... wondering where? In a beautiful country called Romania :) ).

Nobody cares, dont turn this into a speedtest thread 

After seeing all these posts I was ready to post mine :D, but then you are right so I will retain myself from doing that. Though I already stated my internet speed in the above reply but not in speedtest picture.

Looks amazing! Can't wait to see this finished!! By the way, will the water flow into the pumps properly if they're lying sideways? Won't it allow air pockets to sneak through? You should tilt them up against the back to show through the glass more and avoid this problem. ;) that's what I would do :P

the reservoirs are already tilted, you can see it better in previous posts, and air pockets will be there until he first fills it, but don't worry he will make sure to not leave any in the loop :D.

Anyways, enough talk about internet :P We are here for a build log!

Will be posting this small update just because it will be a little while before I can do mass amount of work on the next points to cross off the list.

To/p stop the other side of the wood to shatter a/upon drilling through, you drill half on one side, half on the other

IMG_6767.jpg

Wow, thanks for the tip :). I will try to remember it. Btw that part needs a small edit :P.

It's so awesome to see it close to being done, I was wondering though if you will use led strips to bring some light in the dark?

(Also I found out that I can't have 11 emoticons in one post :D)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

You've done an amazing job.  This is certainly an ultimate build.

Coming along nicely.

You probably can not wait until this is done!

Really interested to see what you come up with for your keyboard solution

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.