HDMI vs DisplayPort

greenroost1445
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

..for me the only benefit HDMI has over display port is the ability to carry audio, which is great for hooking stuff up to a TV but not amazing for anything else.

Both of them can carry audio.

DisplayPort has some PC features that HDMI lacks (such as daisy-chaining multiple displays, and auxiliary channels that can be used for USB, Ethernet, or basically anything you want) while HDMI has some home theater features that DisplayPort doesn't have, like audio return channel and CEC (although it would be possible to easily support these through DisplayPort's aux channels).

They both support 8-channel digital audio (Although HDMI 2.0 will increase that)

They both support 16bpp color depth

They both support 3D

They both support Ethernet

DisplayPort can natively output to both HDMI and DVI, while HDMI can only adapt natively to DVI.

The current revision of DisplayPort has more bandwidth than both the current and future versions of HDMI (21.6Gbps vs 10.2 soon 18.0Gbps on HDMI).  A newer revision of DisplayPort is coming in the near future which will increase DP's lead to 32.4Gbps.  Currently, only DisplayPort can do 4K at 60Hz.  HDMI is limited to 4K at 24Hz.  HDMI 2.0 will increase that to 4K at 60Hz, but the also upcoming DisplayPort 1.3 will up the ante to 4K at 120Hz.

G-Sync and FreeSync are only supported over DisplayPort.

HDMI charges a royalty fee for implementation (per device, plus $10,000 a year base).  DisplayPort is royalty free.

And finally DisplayPort has a locking connector design which people seem to like better.

I use HDMI/VGA.

I don't know the wonders of DSP

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

My monitor only supports vga, but it supports up to 1080p

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

As far as I know DisplayPort is the only one to support 4K.

There's a newer version of HDMI that supports 1440p but there's a lot of cards/monitors/laptops using the older version.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

..for me the only benefit HDMI has over display port is the ability to carry audio, which is great for hooking stuff up to a TV but not amazing for anything else.

Both of them can carry audio.

DisplayPort has some PC features that HDMI lacks (such as daisy-chaining multiple displays, and auxiliary channels that can be used for USB, Ethernet, or basically anything you want) while HDMI has some home theater features that DisplayPort doesn't have, like audio return channel and CEC (although it would be possible to easily support these through DisplayPort's aux channels).

They both support 8-channel digital audio (Although HDMI 2.0 will increase that)

They both support 16bpp color depth

They both support 3D

They both support Ethernet

DisplayPort can natively output to both HDMI and DVI, while HDMI can only adapt natively to DVI.

The current revision of DisplayPort has more bandwidth than both the current and future versions of HDMI (21.6Gbps vs 10.2 soon 18.0Gbps on HDMI).  A newer revision of DisplayPort is coming in the near future which will increase DP's lead to 32.4Gbps.  Currently, only DisplayPort can do 4K at 60Hz.  HDMI is limited to 4K at 24Hz.  HDMI 2.0 will increase that to 4K at 60Hz, but the also upcoming DisplayPort 1.3 will up the ante to 4K at 120Hz.

G-Sync and FreeSync are only supported over DisplayPort.

HDMI charges a royalty fee for implementation (per device, plus $10,000 a year base).  DisplayPort is royalty free.

And finally DisplayPort has a locking connector design which people seem to like better.

HDMI is technically DVI-D + some other features, of which the fact that it carries audio is the most commonly known. The main problem of HDMI is it's lack of available bandwidth when compared to DP. Because of that, you can drive high pixel count (4K+) displays at high refresh rates via DP, while HDMI is limited to uncomfortably low refresh rates.

Also I think most DP devices can be upgraded via software to be compliant with future revisions.

There are more things in heaven and earth then are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Totally displayport. So many advantages.

For my home use, I do use HDMI for the audio transport as well...but only to an HDMI switcher at which point I have it stripped out to go out on a single TOSLINK cable instead.