What should I get? Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8?

terrytek

The m8 it's the obvious choice. Even if i still don't like the fact that it doesn't have removable battery. 

How is the M8 the "obvious choice"? It's far worse in a lot of areas.

I'd go with the M8 just because of the better build quality. Solid aluminum is way more sturdy than Samsung's cheap, flimsy plastic.

What you're most likely referring to is "in hand feel", not "build quality". I see a lot of people get these two mixed up.

Feeling solid does not necessarily mean it has high build quality. Plastic is not necessarily cheap either. Aluminum is actually a pretty cheap material, much cheaper than a lot of the more exotic plastics. Takes a longer time to make a case out of though, and buying/renting CNC machines isn't that cheap. The material itself though is cheap. It's recycled soda cans for crying out loud.

It's not true 4k recording (It's 1080p scaled), the 4mp IS better than the 16mp... The 16mp can't get almost any light in the pixels because theres so many.

That's a big fat lie. It's not 1080p upscaled and the 4 "ultrapixel" camera in the M8 is often a lot worse than the 16MP calera in the GS5. The only time the M8 is better is in low light, like if you're outside taking photos at night, or don't have any lights on inside your house. It doesn't "pretend" to record at 4K by simply upscaling 1080p. That's a very serious accusation and flat out wrong. The sensor can handle 4K and the ISP can handle 4K. There is absolutely no reason why it would just upscale 1080p footage and I have no idea where you even got the idea from.

Lots of example shots here: Anandtech

Neither

Both are big disappointments. After reading Anand's review I think the Galaxy S 5 is the least disappointing though, but still pretty shitty.

Wait for something like the Oppo 7 and the One+ One instead. Hopefully they won't be as disappointing. Or better yet, wait for Snapdragon 805 devices.

They don't sell Oppo phones in the US.

Also, another question: Which is better, iPhone 5S or HTC One M8? 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

They don't sell Oppo phones in the US.

Are you sure? There are people in the US that own Oppo phones (I am sure of it). At worst you'll just have to import it (and make sure it supports your carrier).

Also, another question: Which is better, iPhone 5S or HTC One M8? 

You don't want to open that can of worms...

Personally I would get the M8 but it's very subjective. Which phone do you have right now?

Are you sure? There are people in the US that own Oppo phones (I am sure of it). At worst you'll just have to import it (and make sure it supports your carrier).

You don't want to open that can of worms...

Personally I would get the M8 but it's very subjective. Which phone do you have right now?

None. I am researching before I buy it. Plus, if I win the CA State spelling bee next month, I can get a smartphone.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'm going to be the first to say S5 because water proof is a must for me. And I've been using Samsung since the first Galaxy S :) just me, and plus I'm not really a fan of aluminum

What if I told you, the HTC One is waterproof but not advertised? 

--Xenon-VI - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.34V (Gib 4950X) - MSI MEG X570 Unify -  48GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600MHz - MSI WindForce // NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti @ 2GHz Core 7GHz Mem flashed with 350W BIOS (SOLD, Temporary 1660 waiting for 3090) - 240GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIE - OS Drive - 1TB SanDisk Ultra II SSD - 1TB Crucial BX500 SSD (SHIT, DONT BUY) - 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD - EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold - Lian Li O11D - 9x Corsair SP120RGB - Corsair Commander - Corsair Hydro X Pump/Res - 360mm Thicc Radiator - Hydro X CPU Block - 3090 Waterblock soon come 

1x Acer 27" XV273K 4K 144Hz G-Sync - 1x LG 24UD58 24" 3840x2160 60Hz - 1x Iiyama 28" 3840x2160 60Hz - Valve Index Headset! 

Corsair K95 Platinum RGB MX Reds & Corsair Dark Core RGB 
Philips Fidelio X2HR w/ JDSLabs Atom & Topping D10 DSD DAC

You'll find that a lot around PC forums. I think most people just hate Apple as a company, but there are also people who want everything to be completely open etc. and I can't blame em.

I actually really like the 5s, I hadn't used an iPhone since the 4. My main concern was the screen size, but in all honesty I'm enjoying the 4" form factor. Coming from 3 different 4.7" phones and not having the biggest of hands, I'm finding the 5s a fair bit easier to handle. There is room for maybe a 4.5" screen with no bezels, but I'm fine with this for now.

Hardware is rock solid. Build quality is lovely, nothing weird and nitpicky with it, screen is really nice looking (no it's not up to par with 1080p clarity, but colour accuracy and viewing angles are perfect), camera is a real treat (by far the best camera I've used on a phone), and TouchID is definitely not a gimmick, very useful. 

Software is fine for what I do. I don't play a huge ton of games, watch movies, use office software etc. basically the advantages that you get with Android phones, I don't make use of them. NFC etc. I don't use it. Basically all I use my phone for is basic phone use, email, social apps, a bit of web browsing, some news reading, some games, things like banking etc. music/podcasts and now more than ever, photos. It is quite a bit, but it's very basic stuff that I can do on either platform quite well. Where iOS stands out for me is the consistency of apps, in terms of stability, performance and design. It's all done consistently well, even in 3rd party apps. What I found with Android was that all of my apps looked and worked completely different from each other. Maybe you'd get the navigation drawer crop up in a few apps, but you'd hardly get any type of design guideline or consistency between apps. I love Holo, but I wish more devs would follow it closely.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I use my phone for average and very basic tasks, but I use it a lot. I could use either platform, but at the moment, the iPhone is a joy to use and suits my needs perfectly. I don't need customisability, custom ROMs, complete freedom etc. I don't have the time to mess with that stuff anymore, at least not with something I use everyday. I will be picking up a Nexus tablet this year just to play around with the latest versions of Android and custom ROMs, but I find the iPhone caters all my needs very well.

It's solid and consistent. If you ever get a chance to play around with one, do so, nothing to lose.

Thanks for the info. I'm either going to pick up the Samsung S5 or iPhone 5s ^_^

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

Very serious.

Numbers aren't everything.

Go watch Linus' half review of the M8 on NCIX channel, he talks about how nice the camera is.

The number of Megapixels isn't everything, that's what the M7 proved.

Didn't say "Megapixels" means everything...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSlt_2X8sPw

Here is my quick pros and cons list! Hope this helps. I work at a retail wireless outlet (Rogers) for reference. I personally chose the HTC over the S5. 

First read this: Performance wise, the phones are going to be pretty damn close... so nit picking the processor clock speeds, amount of ram, graphics unit, and such and such is useless. Both phones are snappy and quick. Both phones will be able to handle any application you throw at them. 

Why S5? 

Pros: -Brilliant display(It's BEAUURRRIIIFULLL) -Slightly bigger battery (I don't think you will notice the difference between the two devices tho...) -CAMERA(It's pretty obvious that the S5 outperforms the HTC in that regard)

-Fingerprint scanner(Personally I don't even care about this feature) 

Cons: -Typical Samsung construction. 

Summary: All around solid performer as expected from Samsung. This phone will be rock solid, and Samsung definitely improved their display. Only reason I can see people not buying this phone is because they are bored of the typical Samsung construction. 

Why HTC M8? 

Pros: -Display is still very decent -Quality of construction(feels good in the hand) -Front speakers -Expandable SD Card(My goodness they did it!) note that this only puts the HTC on par with the S5 haha. 

Cons: -Camera isn't as good as the S5's. 

Summary: Your going to choose this phone over the S5 if you care about the build quality. Spec wise everything is pretty much on par, except the camera. The concern with the camera has become one of those #1stworldproblem moments... where the quality nowadays on cell phones is pretty damn good, but some people just want the best. If you want the better of the two in terms of camera... go with an S5.

What if I told you, the HTC One is waterproof but not advertised?

I didn't even know that lol well time to debate more now :) haven't had time to look at both since building my computer

COMPUTER - Enermax Ostrog Gt | Asus M5A99FX R2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X 4GB | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | Crucial M500 240GB | WD Blue 1TB

NAS - NZXT H440 | Asus H97 Plus | Intel Pentium G3258 | Stock Intel Fan | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | MyDigitalSSD M.2 64GB | 4x 2TB WD Red

LAPTOP - Microsoft Surface Pro 3 | Intel i5 | 128GB SSD + 64GB MicroSD | 4GB Ram :)

I don't think you can go wrong. I Had the S2 and the S3, and I just bought the HTC One M8....will serve you great no matter what,.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

The Galaxy S5 and the iPhone 5S are both just a big, loud yawn. Nothing impressive about them at all

Sony Z2 is a good choice though

But of those three, M8

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

S5 gets my vote, with the addition of SD card- M8 has swayed me a little but the waterproof S5 with its removable battery and USB3  wins it for me. Fingerprint scanner is a bit of a gimmick. 

I love the aluminium body of the M8 but i will be putting a cover over the phone which hides all that shinny away anyway(i have dry hands and cannot hold on to smooth slippery phones)

My favourite reviewer "Marques Brownlee" uploaded a HTC One (M8) review. 

Just watched it about 20 mins ago ^_^

S5 all the way!!!! The HTC ONE M8 is crappy. They left the bottom logo on there then put on screen buttons so that there is less screen space. They need to get rid of the stupid logo edges and that other crap. and that double camera thing does not really work. Marques Brownlee kind of proved that already in his review. Although it has some cool accessories like the dot view cover also reviewed by Marques. But the gunmetal grey color is absolutely boring and terrible looking  :angry:. And gold!? Really?! Ever sice the 5s made a gold version  bunch of other companies are doing it. GOLD COLORED STUFF IS SO TACKY. I am saying this to APPLE, samsung, and especially HTC for making a full gold version of the M8. The S5 or wait till the iPhone 6, there is rumors the the iPhone 6 will be bigger. or even wait till the NOTE 4.

apple.com

The Galaxy S5 and the iPhone 5S are both just a big, loud yawn. Nothing impressive about them at all

Sony Z2 is a good choice though

But of those three, M8

SONY MAKES TERRIBLE PHONES!!!!!! also the s5 is better than the phones listed and the Z2 whatever that is.te only better phone would be the iphone 6 if it is bigger or the note 4 or the droid DNA

apple.com

Here is my quick pros and cons list! Hope this helps. I work at a retail wireless outlet (Rogers) for reference. I personally chose the HTC over the S5. 

First read this: Performance wise, the phones are going to be pretty damn close... so nit picking the processor clock speeds, amount of ram, graphics unit, and such and such is useless. Both phones are snappy and quick. Both phones will be able to handle any application you throw at them. 

Why S5? 

Pros: -Brilliant display(It's BEAUURRRIIIFULLL) -Slightly bigger battery (I don't think you will notice the difference between the two devices tho...) -CAMERA(It's pretty obvious that the S5 outperforms the HTC in that regard)

-Fingerprint scanner(Personally I don't even care about this feature) 

Cons: -Typical Samsung construction. 

Summary: All around solid performer as expected from Samsung. This phone will be rock solid, and Samsung definitely improved their display. Only reason I can see people not buying this phone is because they are bored of the typical Samsung construction. 

Why HTC M8? 

Pros: -Display is still very decent -Quality of construction(feels good in the hand) -Front speakers -Expandable SD Card(My goodness they did it!) note that this only puts the HTC on par with the S5 haha. 

Cons: -Camera isn't as good as the S5's. 

Summary: Your going to choose this phone over the S5 if you care about the build quality. Spec wise everything is pretty much on par, except the camera. The concern with the camera has become one of those #1stworldproblem moments... where the quality nowadays on cell phones is pretty damn good, but some people just want the best. If you want the better of the two in terms of camera... go with an S5.

THANK YOU!!! You know what u are talking about when it comes to fingerprint scanners

apple.com

SONY MAKES TERRIBLE PHONES!!!!!! also the s5 is better than the phones listed and the Z2 whatever that is.te only better phone would be the iphone 6 if it is bigger or the note 4 or the droid DNA

The Xperia Z2 looks pretty good if you ask me, at least on paper.

The Xperia Z2 looks pretty good if you ask me, at least on paper.

TERRIBLE LOCK BUTTON, GLASS ON THE BACK (i think we all learned what happens to glass-backed phones from the iphone4/4s and the nexus 4. Also, not really sold in america on any carriers. u would have to buy it ulocked for 800-300$

apple.com

Marques should join Linus techtips

apple.com

Get the s5 for its heart rate monitor : P I would grab the exynos version for the wolfson DAC (do note that I'm in UK, don't know if it will be in US) and I really really like oled displays. don't get it for the heart monitor btw, stupid move by them imo 

Get the s5 for its heart rate monitor : P I would grab the exynos version for the wolfson DAC (do note that I'm in UK, don't know if it will be in US) and I really really like oled displays. don't get it for the heart monitor btw, stupid move by them imo 

They don't sell Exynos CPUed S5s in America. Only the Snapdragon 800 version.

They don't sell Exynos CPUed S5s in America. Only the Snapdragon 800 version.

Well, you could always import it.

I am not so sure if the Exynos model is better though. Haven't seen how good/bad the Exynos 5422 is. It should be a lot better than the Exynos 5410 that was in the Exynos model of the Galaxy S 4, but I am still not sold on Cortex A15 in a phone. It uses too much power and is too hot.

I'm also debating between getting Samsung Galaxy S5 or HTC One (M8) It's a pain in the butt :D