What should I get? Galaxy S5 or HTC One M8?

terrytek

OH. MY. GOD!!!! LINUS ACTUALLY POSTED THIS ON FB??? O_o

Indeed, now take a chill pill. ;)

I need the wireless Charging sooo  S5 for me..

if you ONLY can get one of these 2. i would go M8 all the way. S-off has been achieved on it and its just a way better phone imo way to much bloatware on samsung android phones. the all metal M8 is really nice. plus..... wait for it...... software nav keys (the way android is made to be experienced) sick of samsung and other companies using buttons and or off screen capacitive buttons for the nav bar. (as well as getting rid of the multitasking button)

Personally, though i hate to admit, but im a iphone user.   dont get me wrong though, i love android but at the moment, im in love with my jailbroken iphone 5.  i was on straight talk with a nexus 5 and was loving the phone but not loving the shitty ATT coverage i was getting where i live. so went back to verizon and bought an unlocked iphone 5. (wish i could use the nexus 5  on verizon :( )  

but for android i would rock M8, LG G2, or Nexus 5.  the gunmetal M8 looks so nice. its like brushed steel !!!! its sick 

Indeed, now take a chill pill. ;)

Well, I didn't know he would actually communicate to a normal person. In the tech world, I think he's treated as a celebrity.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I think you'd be happy with either.

I know that doesn't help your decision, but I thought you'd like to be comforted in the knowledge that you'll probably still have an awesome phone either way.

Saw an M8 in the flesh the other day at a Telstra store. Is anyone else with me in thinking they look pretty ugly?

Saw an M8 in the flesh the other day at a Telstra store. Is anyone else with me in thinking they look pretty ugly?

Wow, the only person on this thread that thinks the M8 is ugly.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

i was on straight talk with a nexus 5 and was loving the phone but not loving the shitty ATT coverage i was getting where i live. so went back to verizon and bought an unlocked iphone 5. (wish i could use the nexus 5  on verizon :( )  

My brother got a nexus 5 with T-Mobile and hasn't had any coverage problems.  Maybe you should look into that.  They have pretty cheap plans also.

My brother got a nexus 5 with T-Mobile and hasn't had any coverage problems.  Maybe you should look into that.  They have pretty cheap plans also.

I still think $50 for a plan is too expensive. And that's T-Mobile's cheapest plan.

I'm getting the S5.  Nice camera, records 4K video and already familiar with the Samsung layout.  It's been three years since an upgrade so this will be big for me.

I still think $50 for a plan is too expensive. And that's T-Mobile's cheapest plan.

Ohh,  I think my brother paid $35 for his plan.  That was in december of '13.

Ohh,  I think my brother paid $35 for his plan.  That was in december of '13.

No wonder. Now they raised it a whopping 15 bucks.

Wow, the only person on this thread that thinks the M8 is ugly.

I quite liked the pictures until I was hands on with it. Have you seen one in the flesh?

I'd take the HTC over the Samsung GS5 any day. I can't justify spending $600+ USD on a plastic phone that feels like the people who made it just don't care.

That said, there is no way either phone is worth $300 USD more than my Nexus 5.

Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 Asus X99-Deluxe | EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Seasonic Platinum Series 760 | NZXT H440 White | Shimian 27" 2560x1440 | Ducky 9087 TKL | Logitech G9x | Audio-Technica ATH-M50 | Schiit Audio Modi DAC & Magni Amp

www.ethangriswold.com

I own the HTC one m7 and the built quality is fabulous. Plus the sound is amazing. I'd rather have a phone that feels well put together and miss out on a finger scanner.

I love my m7. The m8 looks more plasticy even though it's 90% metal vs 70% for the m7.

M8 all the way. And I'm a hardcore Samsung user.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

M8 looks a lot nicer, will probably be a bit faster cause TouchWiz (at least last year) is a bit too bloated. Rooting will be a bit easier on a Samsung, or should I say just faster? Go for the one that you find looks better *cough*M8*cough*

The m8 it's the obvious choice. Even if i still don't like the fact that it doesn't have removable battery. 

That is very important, if you want to flash and have a problem, removing the battery HELPS a lot. if you don't flash then you are fine

Will you be rooting/roming your phone? If you are in my experience samsung tends to be easier, atleast it was very easy on my old s3 compared to my current lg g2, and my very old htc evo design. If you aren't i suggest the m8, i hate the look and feel of touchwiz and would never touch a stock samsung phone.

Rooting will be a bit easier on a Samsung, or should I say just faster? Go for the one that you find looks better *cough*M8*cough*

Didn't Samsung have their built in thing in the bootloader that detects if you've modified the firmware that is said to be non-reversible? I heard that flashing even stock ROM will trigger it and effectively void your warranty. HTC's variant required you to unlock through their website and triggers a similar "unlocked" and "tampered" flag, but these can be reset if you're S-OFF so that you can use a few commands and effectively restore your device with no visible signs of having ever touched the firmware.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

I'm gonna say the M8. It seems like Samsung is starting to put out the same old stuff every year just with new features like heartbeat crap.   PS: LUMIA 930 in June/July WOOT!

I'm going to be the first to say S5 because water proof is a must for me. And I've been using Samsung since the first Galaxy S :) just me, and plus I'm not really a fan of aluminum

Imo aluminum is waaaay betetr than plastic ;) (I got s3 and i fucking hate the cheap build quality)

The m8 it's the obvious choice. Even if i still don't like the fact that it doesn't have removable battery. 

That is very important, if you want to flash and have a problem, removing the battery HELPS a lot. if you don't flash then you are fine

This is not true. I have a nexus 5 and it does not have a removable battery. But I have managed flashing and moding it with out needing to pull the battery. There are other ways to do it.