BitFenix Spectre won't spin up on boot

Sizark

I have a few of the BitFenix spectre white LED editions and one of them wont spin up when I turn my PC on but the LED's are on. When I start the blades myself the fan will run fine. Any one heard of and know how to fix this issue?

The fans are plugged into a 4 or 5 channel NZXT Sentry btw...

MY RIG:

WHITE BITFENIX SHINOBI WINDOW EDITION - AMD ATHLON X4 740 (SOCKET FM2) - GIGABYTE F2-A85XM-D3H - OCZ GOLD SERIES 4GB - NOCTUA NH-D14 - ATI RADEON 5850 2GB VAPOR-X - OCZ ZS-SERIES 550W PSU - WINDOWS 8 64BIT

the voltage many fans need to start spinning is higher than what is needed after they are running, i guess you don't run that fan at 12V and you are under the starting voltage

A friend of mine had a similar problem and I just blew on the fan and it started spinning normary every time. Just start the blades yourself a couple of times and if it still happening return them.

This is happening in every fan connector ?

As Andi said: the fan isn't getting enough voltage for it to start. Plug it into the motherboard.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Try to plug the fan into the motherboard.

the voltage many fans need to start spinning is higher than what is needed after they are running, i guess you don't run that fan at 12V and you are under the starting voltage

As Andi said: the fan isn't getting enough voltage for it to start. Plug it into the motherboard.

Thanks peeps, I'll try that.

A friend of mine had a similar problem and I just blew on the fan and it started spinning normary every time. Just start the blades yourself a couple of times and if it still happening return them.

This is happening in every fan connector ?

No, just one fan dude.

MY RIG:

WHITE BITFENIX SHINOBI WINDOW EDITION - AMD ATHLON X4 740 (SOCKET FM2) - GIGABYTE F2-A85XM-D3H - OCZ GOLD SERIES 4GB - NOCTUA NH-D14 - ATI RADEON 5850 2GB VAPOR-X - OCZ ZS-SERIES 550W PSU - WINDOWS 8 64BIT

the voltage might be a problem but i have seen some cheap fans which do so,this usually happens because there is probably more friction between ur motor n ur brushes so on giving a little heads up they spin normally.

try oiling them in some way. I havent done this so cant give u any proof

i think the fan controller is not giving it enough voltage to start it of but just enough for it to maintain momentum. how many fans are you running from the fan controller. 

CPU: i7 3770k 4.5ghz M/Board: Sabertooth Z77 GPU: Asus Gtx 560 Direct CUii OC RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Veangance PSU: Corsair CX600 Cooler: Custome Water Loop With Gentle typhoon 1850rpm fan, Single 120mm Rad, XSPC Raystorm CPU Block

To expand on what's been said - my guess is that you have the fan speed turned down to reduce noise. On standard 3-pin connector fans, the reduced speed is acheived by turning down the voltage to the fan. (4-pin fans use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) which use varying pulse widths at full voltage)

There is a point at which the voltage becomes too low for the fans to start spinning on their own, and that point will vary from fan to fan. Either turn up the fan speed (and thus, the voltage) for all the fans, or that fan in particular. Simply increase the fan speed until all fans startup on their own.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

If you set the speed to maximum, the fans should start. My Noctuas won't start unless I set them to maximum speed for a few seconds on my NZXT sentry.

if your running your fans off a fan controler then its running out of usable power some will only handle 10-12v so 3 fans may be to much stress for it. so disconnect 1 fan and attach it somewhere else, like the motherboard, psu (if available) or power cable molex.

you can try connecting the fan controller to the psu and see if it gives more power than the motherboard.

if your running directly off the motherboard. plug in another fan and see if it does the same. if it does its the motherboards power distribution if the fan spins normally then its the fan.

you can put a few blasts of compressed air in the gap between the coils and magnets, and see if you can blow out any grime that mite be fouling the motor.

if its the fan then theres little you can do. you can oil the spindle (pop the cap in the very middle of the motor you should find the spindle under it, and dont forget to put the cap back it will help contain any excess oil. also use 3 in 1 or a very light grade machine oil for best results) and thats about it.

do not put oil between the brushes and the magnets it will short out.

if none of that works then take or send it back if you think its worth the p'n'p or travel costs.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel