What PSU wattage would i need to power Radeon HD7770 Crossfire?

Sam R

What PSU wattage would i need to power Radeon HD7770 Crossfire?

Thanks

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/501/bench/Power.png

me personally would get 600W if I'm in your possition

btww why didnt u get single 7850/7870

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

A quality 500w would suffice. Do you already have the card however? What is the rest of your system?

At least 550 Watt would be the choice i would go for , (something like a Corsair TX550 or a seasonic PSU would do very well.)

Interested in Business and Technology

These questions seemed to get asked alot. Here is a great link to help you figure it out. It always tells you need a little bit more than what you could get away with but that tends to be a good thing. Always good to have a little extra room on your PSU if you can afford to.

​This has a high level of customization but i find it very useful.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Just grab a quality 400-500w depending on how high you want to oc your system. Anything over 500 is pretty overkill.

Have you bought the second HD 7770? If not you should keep the money and sell your current one for a newer card like the HD 7850 or you might be able to find a good deal on a HD 7870. But anyway back to your question, a quality 500W should do the trick as they don't use a lot of power.

Might as well save for a 7870 or 660ti

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

sell the 7770 and buy a better single card solution.. taking a beginner GPU solution and adding another is

counter-productive. Linus has touched on this many times.. if games are kicking your FPS and quailty of

play, invest in a better solution than betting another entry level card times two is the ticket.. it isn't.

airdeano

Just grab a quality 400-500w depending on how high you want to oc your system. Anything over 500 is pretty overkill.
Wrong. Just Wrong.

450-500 MIGHT be enough if he buys an 80+ Gold or Platinum unit, but if he gets a cheaper unit that can truly only deliver say 70% of that rating then he's screwed. NEVER skimp on a PSU. It can fail spectacularly and take your entire system with it.

Silverstone Strider Plus 600w - fully modular + 80 Silver; $100. :)

Hey guys? He asked about a power supply for the cards. Not if people think it's a good idea to CrossFire them. Maybe he already has two. Maybe they're on for a bargain price. Maybe he just thinks it's cool. The point is this: he asked a question, and you are not answering it by telling him not to do something. You may be trying to help, but it's still not cool.

Now if you were to answer his question AND also SUGGEST that 7770s are not well suited to CrossFire, then that's a alright in my books, because you are helping him out. I do happen to agree though that you'd be better off with a single card solution FWIW...

Anyways, it's hard to recommend a specific wattage without knowing anything else about your system. I'm going to recommend around 600W minimum, but that's just a guess.

Whatever you do, just make sure you buy a QUALITY supply, I would suggest that it is at least 80+ Bronze Certified from a reliable manufacturer like Seasonic, Antec, Corsair or Enermax.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ is my go to for all things PSU related. Hope this helps. :)

Not wrong at all. My 2600k and 570 OC'd draws 450 watts running IBT and Furmark. TDP on a 7770 is 80 watts compared to 200w on a 570. As long as the psu is a quality one he will be more than fine.

So are you advocating using ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of your PSU capacity?

And "quality" isn't the only factor involved in choosing a PSU. It is very important, but EFFICIENCY is just as important the closer your peak load comes to the max continuous output available. If you can't be efficient, then you need more power available. Simple as that. Usually cheaper to buy an 80+ 600W than an 80+ GOLD 450W anyways...

Better off to be safe and get a slightly higher wattage unit than you need. Gambling with computers isn't a good practice.

Nicely done sir. :)

Not really sure what you're saying here.. a quality psu will output its rated wattage no matter what its efficiency rating is. His system, even overclocked, won't draw more then 400 watts with the entire system running 100% which is not even close to a real world usage scenario. If he got a 450 watt psu it would probably be running at 50% load in most games. Maybe a 400w would be a little low but theres no way he will need more than 500.

STOP. Stop right now. Power supplies do NOT always output their rated wattage.

Please PLEASE go to this website: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Anatomy-of-Switching-Power-Supplies/327 and learn some things about power supplies.

I'm not trying to be rude, but it is quite apparent to me that you know nothing or very nearly nothing about this subject. I just don't really care for it when people put forth uneducated "knowledge" as fact. This is dangerous and irresponsible. You may be trying to help, but if you don't know what you're talking about, how can you? I really had hoped to avoid this kind of situation on this new forum, so this is all very unfortunate.

I sincerely apologize if this offends you, as that is not my intent. Unless of course you are trolling me...

You're missing the QUALITY part of the psu I'm suggesting. A QUALITY psu will always be able to output it's rated wattage and if it can't, its a junk psu. I don't get what you don't understand about that.

I guess the term "quality" just isn't a specific nor empirical enough term for my liking. I agree that a PSU should be able to put out its rated wattage, and is probably not very good if it can't.

I still do not agree with your assesment of 400-500W however, simply based upon the fact that an HD7770 is required by the manufacturer to have a 450W PSU for ONE CARD. I know that's leaving a fair margin for safety, but it's still foolish to recommend only 400W for TWO cards...

Would you recommend someone with a pair of GTX690s use only a 600-700W supply? It only draws that much under load right?

I don't quite understand what was so hard about the post? He wanted a PSU - not 5 million different opinions on his graphics setup.

Hey guys? He asked about a power supply for the cards. Not if people think it's a good idea to CrossFire them. Maybe he already has two. Maybe they're on for a bargain price. Maybe he just thinks it's cool. The point is this: he asked a question, and you are not answering it by telling him not to do something. You may be trying to help, but it's still not cool.

Now if you were to answer his question AND also SUGGEST that 7770s are not well suited to CrossFire, then that's a alright in my books, because you are helping him out. I do happen to agree though that you'd be better off with a single card solution FWIW...

Anyways, it's hard to recommend a specific wattage without knowing anything else about your system. I'm going to recommend around 600W minimum, but that's just a guess.

Whatever you do, just make sure you buy a QUALITY supply, I would suggest that it is at least 80+ Bronze Certified from a reliable manufacturer like Seasonic, Antec, Corsair or Enermax.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ is my go to for all things PSU related. Hope this helps. :)

Yeah thanks i am only getting another 7770 because i have one and im getting a windowed case and they will look cool

A decent 600W would be fine, however a good rated 450W unit is also perfectly fine, and it would work.

As seen here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7750_7770_CrossFire/21.html

The maximum ( in this review ) states that the maximum power draw from cross-fired 7770 was 159W.

You could get away with a 450w unit from decent and reliable OEM such as Super Flower and Seasonic.

500w. But why would you waste money on two 7770's?

i5 3570K - MSI GD65 z77 - 660ti 2gb SLI - Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb (4x2gb) - Corsair H100i - Corsair 500r - Corsair HX 850w - Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD