Is an H220 a good start to a loop?

Hey im been doing a ton of research about WC and though i feel confident about my mechanical abilities im not sure if a full custom loop is right for me. I have never water cooled before and i am actually pretty new to the whole custom computer scene. I was thinking about getting an H220 (if they ever get in stock) then expanding it in the future to include my gpu along with another rad. Another problem i have is that the C70 seems kind of cramped if i were to put 2 240mm rads + a pump and res in. I was wondering if this was a good place to start getting into WC then once i feel comfortable with everything my next rig can have a full custom loop.

My important specs.

C70 

sapphire 7950

For one, the cooler fits. :)

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Have a wee look at this video (at the end they show a system with GPU + CPU with one H220):

Although you should be able to run your CPU and GPU off of a H220, without the need to add another rad.

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

Wow thats impressive, looks like i just have to somehow find one now.......

Do not upgrade H220s. Its a waste of money. The re-sale value plummets if you touch them in any "disassemble" sort of way.

You are better off selling it and buying your own parts from scratch, you will end up with a better loop.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

What would you recommend? I was just thinking about the H220 because of cost. I don't want to put a ton of money into a loop when my experience level is not high. What do you think about kits like the one from XSPC? Another reason i was leaning towards the H220 is because i wanted to get the Komodo 7900 block and was not sure about that compatibility with other WC parts.

What would you recommend? I was just thinking about the H220 because of cost. I don't want to put a ton of money into a loop when my experience level is not high. What do you think about kits like the one from XSPC? Another reason i was leaning towards the H220 is because i wanted to get the Komodo 7900 block and was not sure about that compatibility with other WC parts.

Read the watercooling FAQ and 101 (both are stickies at the top of the forum section). They will give you an overview of watercooling, when you read both you can drop back in here and ask about any thing you are unclear on.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Read the watercooling FAQ and 101 (both are stickies at the top of the forum section). They will give you an overview of watercooling, when you read both you can drop back in here and ask about any thing you are unclear on.

Thanks for the help Ghost. I guess i have a little more thinking to do.

The expandability is a massive bucket of gimmickjuice. if you buy a h220 with the intention of expanding you're buying:

-a pump you can't decouple from the case

-an ugly cpu block

-a skinny 240 rad

It's just a tickbox feature swiftech has implemented to one-up the other aios and make sales imo.

If you want to have both your CPU and GPU in your loop, just build a custom loop.  The H220 markets itself as expandable and while it certainly is "expandable" by that point, you're refilling the loop, probably buying your own tubing, and probably adding a second rad so you're building a whole loop anyway.  Personally, the H220 is a waste of money if you're immediately intending on expanding it. 

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Ive decided to go with this kit from XSPC, From what ive read its a great start for beginners and gives me everything i need for the price of an h220. Ill probably end up buying some XSPC Blood Red coolant because i want to see that in my res+ it will help with being able to see any air in my loop.

Ive decided to go with this kit from XSPC, From what ive read its a great start for beginners and gives me everything i need for the price of an h220. Ill probably end up buying some XSPC Blood Red coolant because i want to see that in my res+ it will help with being able to see any air in my loop.

Careful with the Blood Red coolants.  I've heard many reports of that stuff staining stuff red permanently.  Not necessarily a problem, but will result in you likely having to rebuy everything if you decide to change colors down the line.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB

Careful with the Blood Red coolants.  I've heard many reports of that stuff staining stuff red permanently.  Not necessarily a problem, but will result in you likely having to rebuy everything if you decide to change colors down the line.

What about adding a little bit of food coloring to the dead water?

If you need good coolant I recommend mayhems they are the best they also make very good dyes if you want colour darker or lighter

You can't walk out of your own story - Rango

What about adding a little bit of food coloring to the dead water?

Not sure if I was clear with that last post so I'll clarify.  The problem is not necessarily the XSPC Blood Red coolant.  It's the dyes they use in a lot of the blood red coolants that stains stuff.  Again, not going to effect performance, just going to be a nightmare to clean if you want to change colors later.

Current Rig

Not sure if I was clear with that last post so I'll clarify.  The problem is not necessarily the XSPC Blood Red coolant.  It's the dyes they use in a lot of the blood red coolants that stains stuff.  Again, not going to effect performance, just going to be a nightmare to clean if you want to change colors later.

Nothing flushing water through wont fix. ;)

In terms of waterblocks you can take most waterblocks apart to clean them. For rads just attack one end to a tap and put the out tube going into the sink and just leave it overnight.

Hey im been doing a ton of research about WC and though i feel confident about my mechanical abilities im not sure if a full custom loop is right for me. I have never water cooled before and i am actually pretty new to the whole custom computer scene. I was thinking about getting an H220 (if they ever get in stock) then expanding it in the future to include my gpu along with another rad. Another problem i have is that the C70 seems kind of cramped if i were to put 2 240mm rads + a pump and res in. I was wondering if this was a good place to start getting into WC then once i feel comfortable with everything my next rig can have a full custom loop.

My important specs.

C70 

sapphire 7950

with your current build, what kind of temperatures are you getting on air-cooling?

if you have a hot CPU overclock, a 360 x 60 radiator at minimum. the C70 can

hold a 360, but only 35mm, so an additional radiator would be needed. the 240

as a secondary will help out in temperatures. you can run some low fan speeds

for a quiet and cool rig if you use the low fin-per-inch radiator from alphacool (ST30 360)

and XT/UT 240. using a high fpi can run low speed fans, but the temps will warm.

airdeano

with your current build, what kind of temperatures are you getting on air-cooling?

if you have a hot CPU overclock, a 360 x 60 radiator at minimum. the C70 can

hold a 360, but only 35mm, so an additional radiator would be needed. the 240

as a secondary will help out in temperatures. you can run some low fan speeds

for a quiet and cool rig if you use the low fin-per-inch radiator from alphacool (ST30 360)

and XT/UT 240. using a high fpi can run low speed fans, but the temps will warm.

airdeano

Right now i have a Water 2.0 PRO and i hit 70c @4.2 1.126v. I love the way Wc look thats why im leaning towards it plus i want to Wc my gpu.

well at least a 240 CPU loop only will easily drop those loaded temps

down to very acceptable digits. adding the GPU will need a bit more to

ease the temperatures or you'll have to raise the fan speed (louder use)

which kinda defeats the need, partly.

mod the case for the alphacool ST30 360, look for a place in the front intake

area for the UT60 240 and pick a fan with low dbA and high static pressure

and the rest is mainly looks.. blocks, tubing, reservoir, coolant..

try to locate a waterblock for the sapphire card and then you get to have fun

to spend money..

your topic of purchasing the H220.. sounds great, prolly can workout well. but

in the end, the only thing usable in a custom loop will be the pump. the radiator

with res built-in just isn't enough for your "goal". you need a 360 and a thicker

240 to promote lower temps and low fan speed for less noise. noting in the US

the H220 is listing for $140, a D5 pump new is $70.

airdeano

im thinking about getting this kit as well just to start in wc and it will only be the cpu at first until the next gen gpu come out and then i might add the gpu as well

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

Do not buy kits, make your own parts list, you can always ask for help.

I'd suggest you go for a full custom kit from the very start, since it's a lot easier to maintain and troubleshoot if necessary.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

My important specs.

C70 

sapphire 7950

To be completely honest, watercooling those components is unjustified unless you're going for looks. And no, the H220 isn't very effective for anything more than a CPU, although it is capable of more.

To be completely honest, watercooling those components is unjustified unless you're going for looks. And no, the H220 isn't very effective for anything more than a CPU, although it is capable of more.

Why is watercooling a 7950 and 3570k unjustified? Both are perfect components to watercool. Especially the 7950 because of its overclocking potential.

Why is watercooling a 7950 and 3570k unjustified? Both are perfect components to watercool. Especially the 7950 because of its overclocking potential.

A good GPU and CPU loop will generally cost $300-400 CAD. I'd much rather add another 7950 than gain ~5FPS.