Corsair SP120 PWM High Performance vs Quiet Ed.

Hi, I have a Corsair H60 2013 ed. cooler, and the fan that came with it is just too noisy for me. It makes some sort of rattling sound at low-medium RPM's, which I simply can't stand. I know it's not the pump.

So, I think I'm going to buy the Corsair SP120 fan instead, but I noticed that there's two different editions - high performance and quiet ed. The quiet ed. goes up to 1450 RPM. Will this be enough to cool my processor under load when only using one of them as an intake fan, or do I need the high performance one if I only want one fan?

Also, the fact that they're PWM fans, would that make it possible to just lower the high performance edition's speed down to the speed of the quiet edition and get as low noise levels?

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

The quiet edition will be adequate for cooling and you can undervolt them if your not happy with the noise that is produced.

I've not tried the performance edition but the quiet ones are excellent for cooling and noise levels.

If You Have Any Software That You Can Control The Fan RPM, Then you can go with the Corsair SP120 High Performance.. And Just Change The RPM

If Not Then Go With Quite I'm Not Sure If Under Load It Will Give Any good Temp

Capture.png

I will be connecting the fan to the cpu-fan header on the motherboard, as that will make it regulated by the CPU's temperature. Will I be able to set the RPM manually through something like Fan Xpert from Asus?

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

Yeah Fan Xpert IS Great !  I have Asus Motherboard And I Control My Fan RPM Sit Some Custom setting And When The CPU Or System Get Hot The Fan Automatically Speed Up To The RPM You Chose 

Capture.png

I think I'm going with the performance edition then. By the way, how do I update my Fan Xpert to Fan Xpert 2? I tried to download Fan Xpert 2, but it's still Fan Xpert 1

I can only get the normal Fan Xpert, it seems. Will I still be able to control the RPM to make the performance edition silent enough from Fan Xpert 1?

I haven't Seen The Fan xpert 1 Yet.. But It Should Have Option To change The RPM.. 

Do You Have Any Fan Connected Directly To Motherboard.. ? 

If So Try change The RPM In The Fan Xpert

I have the stock fan of the H60 connected to the cpu-fan header on the motherboard, yes, I can't type in RPM manually, but I can set it to 20% or higher.

Look Up The Video.. You Can Sit On Standard / Performance / Quiet

I can also set mine to "user" and select what % I want to run the fan as long as it's under a certain temperature I select.

I'll vouch for the SP120 Performance Edition fans.

They are decently quiet even at full RPM for me anyways. Maybe if you're Linus you'll find them unacceptable buy as long as you're not a silence freak like he is, you'll find them acceptable

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Simple 3 Step!

I Sit Mine On 56% When I Hit 36C  & 70% When Hitting 46C & 100% When Hit 75C

70% Is About 1350 RPM Which Is Really Quiet For Me

I'll vouch for the SP120 Performance Edition fans.

They are decently quiet even at full RPM for me anyways. Maybe if you're Linus you'll find them unacceptable buy as long as you're not a silence freak like he is, you'll find them acceptable

I usually wear a headset, and I can tolerate quite a bit of noise. But with the stock fan on the H60, it's just too much for me. It makes a rattling noise than I can hear THROUGH my headset and every other fan.. I hope the SP120 performance edition doesn't do this

Quiet edition all the way. They are still very good, and you don't hear them. Most people undervolt their fans anyway, so might as well save some time by getting quiet edition. 

I usually wear a headset, and I can tolerate quite a bit of noise. But with the stock fan on the H60, it's just too much for me. It makes a rattling noise than I can hear THROUGH my headset and every other fan.. I hope the SP120 performance edition doesn't do this

Ah since you usually wear a headset, you won't hear them at all.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Quiet edition all the way. They are still very good, and you don't hear them. Most people undervolt their fans anyway, so might as well save some time by getting quiet edition.

But wouldn't it be better to have that extra RPM of the performance edition just in case you need it?

Simple 3 Step!

I Sit Mine On 56% When I Hit 36C  & 70% When Hitting 46C & 100% When Hit 75C

70% Is About 1350 RPM Which Is Really Quiet For Me

You have the performance edition, right?

Yeah, I bought 2 Pack Of The Corsair SP 120mm - Performance Edition  

Just Like You Said I'd Like The Extra RPM Just In Case If You Need It...

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a h100i and a set of sp120 quiet pwm fans, I am still however using the fans that came with the radiator.. When im gaming my fan speed is only at 1280 via my personal setting on link corsair,  My processor is overclocked from 3.5 to 4.3 (cause that's enough for me)  And my 3770k processor sits at 58-65 and the bda is 45-49 which is only audible in my room if everything else is switched off.  This is same when at full load even when room is quiet.  So im in no rush to put the sp120s on lol.  I have a feeling the  45-49 dba is actually from my rear fan so ill be looking for a quiet 140 now lol.  Either way im actually pretty impressed by the h1ooi cooler stock fans.  At normal usage my processor sits at 30-33 degrees :).  That's a improvement on my old noctua air system of 12 degree roughly.