Mozilla CEO resigns over anti-gay marriage controversy

Sources: http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/3/5578984/mozilla-ceo-resigns-amid-controversy-over-donation-to-anti-gay & http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26868536

Less than two weeks after he was appointed Mozilla CEO, Brendan Eich resigned today amid a controversy stemming from his $1,000 donation to an anti-gay marriage ballot proposition in California. "Mozilla prides itself on being held to a different standard and, this past week, we didn't live up to it. We know why people are hurt and angry, and they are right: it's because we haven't stayed true to ourselves," the company said in a blog post. "We didn't act like you'd expect Mozilla to act. We didn't move fast enough to engage with people once the controversy started. We're sorry. We must do better."
Eich, who co-founded Mozilla and previously invented the JavaScript programming language, has also stepped down from the Mozilla Foundation's board, according to Recode. Earlier this week, Eich said he remained confident he was the best person to serve as Mozilla's CEO despite the controversy. But pressure on Eich to resign mounted during an extraordinarily public (and notably civil) discussion among Mozilla employees, developers, and other community members.

When the announcement of Mr Eich's appointment was made on 24 March, angry users voiced their opinions on social media. Several high-profile Mozilla employees also weighed in. Three board members resigned in the weekend following Mr Eich's appointment - but Mozilla said the events were not linked.
But the most damaging act of protest came via dating website OkCupid.
Users who went to the site using Mozilla's Firefox browser were greeted with a message that read: "Hello there, Mozilla Firefox user. Pardon this interruption of your OkCupid experience.
"Mozilla's new CEO, Brendan Eich, is an opponent of equal rights for gay couples. We would therefore prefer that our users not use Mozilla software to access OkCupid."

I think it was the right move to make, especially after 3 of the board have already stepped down (Mozilla say the events aren't connected in the articles, but I had thought at least one of them had been connected), but it does leave Mozilla looking for a new CEO again. Why he was appointed in the first place is beyond me though - surely someone must have predicted this. It is a bit over the top though.

This post has been promoted to an article

HTTP/2 203

This whole thing was the dumbest thing I have seen this year.

Who gives a shit what the guy thinks? What does it have to do with Mozilla does? Oh you're not allowing Firefox to access your website because of the CEO's opinion, well that's weird, but I'm sure you also blocked JavaScript right?

God forbid a guy be judged for his work and effort.

Close-minded people. Close-minded people everywhere.

God forbid we judge a man by merit.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Just wondering how much further the gay agenda is going to press on without realizing how sadly ironic their views on equality are.

This thread is going to get closed awfully fast...

Disgusting, the whole idea of him being ousted over his views as a free man disgusts me.

If I disagree with someone I'll still defend his right to say whatever I disagree with.

According to the article, he resigned.

People have the right to say whatever they want, it doesn't mean there aren't consequences for it.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

For the good of the company, resigning was smart. I'm just surprised people still think like this. Come on people, it's 2014!

Like I stated previously, people can say whatever they want but that doesn't excuse them from ridicule.

For the good of the company, resigning was smart. I'm just surprised people still think like this. Come on people, it's 2014! The correlation between the donation and his position as a CEO barely correlate...and now we basically fired someone who was more than applicable for the job.

Great thinking. --sigh--

No one fired him, he resigned because he holds backwards views and supported a law that purposely hurt certain groups of people.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

No one fired him, he resigned because he holds backwards views and supported a law that purposely hurt certain groups of people.

In bussiness no one fires people, they make them resign. The man was not given a chance to prove himself. What is the difference between firing a guy because he is against gay marriage and firing someone because they support gay marriage? In either case you are prejudging them by their beliefs.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

According to the article, he resigned.

People have the right to say whatever they want, it doesn't mean there aren't consequences for it.

He supported an anti gay marriage bill in California that passed in 2008, I don't see how 6 years on that fact should be relevant in his career unless he is proven to still uphold those views.

Did he say he that does uphold those views during this fiasco? It's likely that he does I will of course admit, but if his views had changed I wouldn't want him to resign.

explain please. 

GLAAD provided the following statement from President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis on the news via email:

"Mozilla's strong statement in favor of equality today reflects where corporate America is: inclusive, safe, and welcoming to all."

It annoys me that a few loud voices make a non-issue like this, a big issue. Nobody else gives a fuck.

I can almost guarantee that if he supported gay marriage, this would not have happened.

This is exactly the hypocrisy I hate.

I can almost guarantee that if he supported gay marriage, this would not have happened.

Because his views would coincide with the large majority of Americans.

unpopular opinions drive people away.

I know I am a little bit biased on this subject but like you said earlier. It's 2014...why do people still hold these views?

If there were factual evidence (which I have found none) in opposition to gay marriage then that would be a different story, but their simply isn't.

I know opinions are opinions but I prefer ones that are based on fact over ones that are based on nonsense.

It annoys me that a few loud voices make a non-issue like this, a big issue. Nobody else gives a fuck.

Non issue?

How is supporting a bill that went against equality a non issue?

Hail Sithis!

GLAAD provided the following statement from President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis on the news via email:

"Mozilla's strong statement in favor of equality today reflects where corporate America is: inclusive, safe, and welcoming to all."

For as much good as GLAAD does do shit like this pisses me off. As long as his personal belief didn't effect his conduct on the job or the company policies it doesn't bloody matter/

I know I am a little bit biased on this subject but like you said earlier. It's 2014...why do people still hold these views? 

If there were factual evidence (which I have found none) in opposition to gay marriage then that would be a different story, but their simply isn't.

I know opinions are opinions but I prefer ones that are based on fact over ones that are based on nonsense.

Question, and I'm not taking the piss I'm being serious.

When they would normally say "I pronounce you man and wife" to a hetero couple, what do they say to two men?

Do you even have any idea what you are suggesting here?

For as much good as GLAAD does do shit like this pisses me off. As long as his personal belief didn't effect his conduct on the job or the company policies it doesn't bloody matter/

Do I think he should have resigned?

No

But I do think people should be held accountable for ridiculous views that they hold.

Hail Sithis!

So equality for all, unless you disagree with the opinions of "the large majority of Americans?"

That's just as much garbage as saying "Oh, you want marriage? Why not just be straight like the large majority of Americans."

Question, and I'm not taking the piss I'm being serious.

When they would normally say "I pronounce you man and wife" to a hetero couple, what do they say to two men?

Husband and husband.

Man and Man

Top and bottom jk

Hail Sithis!

Do you even have any idea what you are suggesting here?

The fact of the matter is there are people that care about what opinions others have.

I support free speech absolutely, I think this man shouldn't have gotten fired but it goes to show that people are held accountable for their actions.

Hail Sithis!

Non issue?

How is supporting a bill that went against equality a non issue?

The bill didn't pass, it was years ago. His views affect nothing. The only reason we even know about it, is because a handful of people made it an issue.

To me that's a non-issue.

So equality for all, unless you disagree with the opinions of "the large majority of Americans?"

That's just as much garbage as saying "Oh, you want marriage? Why not just be straight like the large majority of Americans."

I am not necessarily advocating that, I am just saying that's how it goes sadly.

This would all be a moot point if opinions were based on facts rather than bullshit.

Hail Sithis!

Do I think he should have resigned?

No

But I do think people should be held accountable for ridiculous views that they hold.

He deserves to be called out on it but it got taken to a bit of a ridiculous level. I'd rather people have tried to talk to him and get his current views and his plans for the company. Instead a lot of people took a flying leap off the cliff of pre-judging.

Really, I can't believe people don't get why this happened, It has nothing to do with his right to freedom of speech,  It is because his personal opinions are turning away customers and hurting the brand name, no CEO can remain the ceo when their personal life ethos is at odds with their job. 

Of course he has to step down, regardless of whether it's forced or voluntary,  It is the right thing to do for any business who's CEO says and does things that hurt the bottom line.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The bill didn't pass, it was years ago. His views affect nothing. The only reason we even know about it, is because a handful of people made it an issue.

To me that's a non-issue.

Yes his views do effect something.

People with the same mindset have tried countless times (and succeeded) to overrule marriage equality.

Really, I can't believe people don't get why this happened, It has nothing to do with his right to freedom of speech, It is because his personal opinions are turning away customers and hurting the brand name, no CEO can remain the ceo when their personal life ethos is at odds with their job.

Of course he has to step down, regardless of whether it's forced or voluntary, It is the right thing to do for any business who's CEO says and does things that hurt the bottom line.

This is basically it.

He deserves to be called out on it but it got taken to a bit of a ridiculous level. I'd rather people have tried to talk to him and get his current views and his plans for the company. Instead a lot of people took a flying leap off the cliff of pre-judging.

I never said he should have resigned.

But I wonder why he held those opinions in the first place?

I'm not being hypocritical because it's true. You can't deny the fact in America. 59% of Americans support same sex marriage as of March 2014

b08bb6c6bcc963b2b5f365110dd74004.png

It makes me wonder why the 34% believe what they do.

Hail Sithis!