Loud high noise form my GPU

Babyballable
Go to solution Solved by Maverik5124,

This is called coilwhine. It appears when the combination of power supply and the component that has coilwhine is not good. This is not saying that you should get another power supply as coilwhine does not damage the component. By the way the corsair power supply is good!

If you can try to exchange the card. Maybe the next one will not have coilwhine in combinantion with your power supply

Hi guys!

Technology hates me. 

Since I Installed my GPU ( Asus 7970) I can hear a loud high noise comming out of it. The card silent and all of sudden it starts to squeak for like 3sec and it stops. And so every 10 - 15 sec.

I've been ignoring it for some time (I have this card for 3 weeks now), when I game I have my headphones on anyway, so I don't hear anything, but It pisses me of when don't have them on.

It is defenitly the card (I used my rig without my card I it was very silent)

It's not the fans of the card, I stoped them manualy (by sticking my finger in to them) when it started squeaking and the noise was still there.

I plugged every cable correctly ( I cheked it twice)

I don't have any Idea what is going on, please help!

My rig is:

Asus 7970 Direct CUII

Asus Maximus Formula

Corsair 760W PSU

i7 3770k (stock speed)

For overclocking my card I use Asus's program that camed with the GPU (GPUTweak)

Sorry for my spelling, I suck at it

3770k MaxVFormula 7970 16gb AX760 1 barracuda 250 840 NHD14 

This is called coilwhine. It appears when the combination of power supply and the component that has coilwhine is not good. This is not saying that you should get another power supply as coilwhine does not damage the component. By the way the corsair power supply is good!

If you can try to exchange the card. Maybe the next one will not have coilwhine in combinantion with your power supply

Coil whine? The VRM or GPU soldering itself could be the problem. I don't believe there is much you can do except RMA/ warranty. If you did, you'd void your warranty for sure.

The problem could be your power supply though. Your PSU and graphics card might not have anything wrong with them on their own, but put them together and you get coil whine.

Try the video card in a different computer maybe?

Edit: Damn ninjas, ninjas everywhere.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

there are solutions to coil whine but they aint great. things like hot gluing under the components that are whining will often dampen the noise at the cost of increased heat.

basically the part thats whining is actually vibrating under load. so putting hot glue under it as best you can will often wedge the part and stop the vibration thus the noise.

it seems this is a common fault with the 7970 and the 7990 in some configs.

but personally i would RMA it asap rather than voiding the warranty 

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

Ok, thanks! 

I've got 3 more questions to you, guys:

Will is stop whining when I'll install a woterblock on it?

Will changing of PSU help?

How should I explain whats wrong with the card to the merchant that knows nothnig about computers? O__o He will send propably it to the manufactuer to repair it, but they couldn't have this problem on their test station, could they?

i would rma it ir try a different psu as from what i've read asus cards are not known for coil whine and while calling their cards silent coil whine is not silent. could be your psu tho if it is not the card.

CPU: i7 3770k 4.5ghz M/Board: Sabertooth Z77 GPU: Asus Gtx 560 Direct CUii OC RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Veangance PSU: Corsair CX600 Cooler: Custome Water Loop With Gentle typhoon 1850rpm fan, Single 120mm Rad, XSPC Raystorm CPU Block

Changing the PSU might help, but it might not. I doubt a water block will take away the coil whine. If you have another PSU I would swap that first. If you still get bad coil whine then RMA the card.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev. 2.0)    Micron C400 256GB SSD     MSI GTX 660 Ti PE OC     Logitech G510

Intel i7 960 @ 4.125GHz                        WD Black 1TB                         Windows 7 Pro 64bit        Logitech G9x

Kingston HyperX 6GB                             Corsair TX850M                     Corsair H50                        Logitech z906

I would say the same.

Thanks guys. 

I'll RMA it.