ULTIMATE AMD Kaveri Value PC Computer "How To" Build Guide

Nobody on the internet actually tried to crossfire with the r7 260x . could you test this please so I can decide to buy and Kaveri or a FX6300 .

PS: because of your r7 260x awesome video I bought that awesome video card :D. Let's continue ...

sadly the R7 260X is not supported for dual graphics with A10-7850K

only the R7 250 is the officially support GPU that will work with the onboard GPU with the AMD beta drivers. 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

nice video but the text in the OP is IMPOSSIBLE to read in Night theme

Awesome intro. You should do more build guides. I'd personally like to see a budget build around a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD 5800X

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 3070 Ti

SSD: WD SN850X 4TB x2

MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Master B550

Case: Fractal Torrent

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

I think gskill appreciates you showcasing their memory. They've shared your video on their Facebook page.

Linus your team has done an amazing job.

The different video angels must have taken considerable time and planning. Then the editing is just superb, whole new level of quality and best build guide I've seen before on any medium.

Great quality in every area.

i love the Video  :lol:

i love APU:D

and i love AMD  :wub:

Kaveri for the WIN  B)

I think this video is the best you guys have delivered so far.

I really liked your presentation, the camera work was smooth and allowed a good view onto the components and the editing was just outstanding. The layout is nice, simple and easy to understand.

Keep it up guys! :)

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

Build-log (way out of date)

I saw this but I remembered seeing a post on nVidia's official website and they did a UK build with an i3 and 750ti for £470 excluding windows license - So i figured with US parts being so cheap i would do a partpicker with the exact parts they used - I even included the OS

nVidia link including performance data

http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/guides/geforce-gtx-750-ti-mini-itx-pc-build-guide

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3liw1 is what i came up with

$666 dollars (there is a $20 rebate on the ram i didnt realise, also the case is wrong, on the nvidia build they used the SG05 which included a PSU, I chose this case as a stand in beacuse the price is the same as the one nVidia used

I think its a pretty solid build compared to what the amd system costs for the performance it gives

Awesome intro. You should do more build guides. I'd personally like to see a budget build around a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti.

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I saw this but I remembered seeing a post on nVidia's official website and they did a UK build with an i3 and 750ti for £470 excluding windows license - So i figured with US parts being so cheap i would do a partpicker with the exact parts they used - I even included the OS

nVidia link including performance data

http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/guides/geforce-gtx-750-ti-mini-itx-pc-build-guide

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3liw1 is what i came up with

$666 dollars (there is a $20 rebate on the ram i didnt realise, also the case is wrong, on the nvidia build they used the SG05 which included a PSU, I chose this case as a stand in beacuse the price is the same as the one nVidia used

I think its a pretty solid build compared to what the amd system costs for the performance it gives

actually Linus and Luke did a test of the best CPU and GPU combo and surprise the Athlon x4 760K and GTX750Ti came out tops as the best value in terms of dollar per fps or was it fps per dollar.

CPU:  AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($81.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($89.08 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($149.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $599.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-04 02:20 EDT-0400)

This could be what Linus might suggest but since this video is focus on the A10 APU, the Athlon x4 was not suggested 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

This could be what Linus might suggest but since this video is focus on the A10 APU, the Athlon x4 was not suggested 

Yeah I guess. I just don't really see the point of APUs not for enthusiasts anyway, and not in a full size tower case. - Maybe an APU in something like the intel nuc or gigabyte brix, that would be awesome to have power and graphics in something tiny

But for the money of the new kaveri APUs, i would just buy a semi decent procesor, g3220 pentium, 760k or an i3 and even a $99 card will beat the performacne of the APU - I realise there are some beneficial stuff like true audio and things but for me the price/performance is not great

Saying all that, i do see a bright future for APUs, in things like tablets/laptops - I would love a kaveri tablet (if they can make an APU power efficient enough) or something like an AMD APU shield

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have the same motherboard for my build, I am pairing it up with the AMD A10-6800K APU, Is it worth to buy the exact RAM from this build? I am currently shopping for some RAM, Or should I just settle for something cheaper? I feel that for the price of these ram and for the speed/frequency (MGHZ) it would do APU's good correct? Correct me if I am wrong. Would like to get my build done soon and I feel this is quite the similar build comared to mine.

I have the same motherboard for my build, I am pairing it up with the AMD A10-6800K APU, Is it worth to buy the exact RAM from this build? I am currently shopping for some RAM, Or should I just settle for something cheaper? I feel that for the price of these ram and for the speed/frequency (MGHZ) it would do APU's good correct? Correct me if I am wrong. Would like to get my build done soon and I feel this is quite the similar build comared to mine.

for the 6800K 

the best ram you can use is the 2133MHz variant 

To add on if you want value RAM just go for the cheapest brand you can buy.

To add on if you want value RAM just go for the cheapest brand you can buy.

Thanks! I found the G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4) DDR3 2133 Memory. Will that work fine for my rig then? Is it gonna be a hassle to up the speed once i put them in, cause i know in some reviews, it is set default to 1600MHz and this is my first time instaling and building this rig.

Thanks! I found the G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4) DDR3 2133 Memory. Will that work fine for my rig then? Is it gonna be a hassle to up the speed once i put them in, cause i know in some reviews, it is set default to 1600MHz and this is my first time instaling and building this rig.

ok when you install the RAM into the PC for the first time it will be running at 1600MHz 

but you can tweak the RAM speed to the original stock speed via the BIOS

just follow the Asrock manual

usually you can use the XMP profile which is inside the RAm itself

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome video I think I’m going to build one of these. Without videos like this I don't think i could even attempt this.

I have a question for you guys ive been reading all your commets and I was wondering if this system would be good.

I'm pretty new to building my own PC this is going to be my first attempt at it.

I know, I should probably tell you what I am going to use it for right?

I want to be able to play games like elder scrolls online. I am planning on attaching it to my TV at least at first. I want to make a couple of labtop hard drives into desktop hard drives as well as a 1.5 T external hard drive into an internal. This will be my home computer for movies/homework/gaming. I want to make my external into an internal because I want it all in one package. I’m planning on getting an SSD like in this build just to boot faster and using the spare HHD I have laying around to save a couple of bucks and give me that room. I’ve been playing with all this stuff on PC part picker but honestly I am kind of a bit lost.

Could you guys give me some advice and tell me what you think.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3rgFE

A friend of mine told me to do something like this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ri48

My price point is 800-900

Thanks

Jon

If you are getting a video card anyways it is not worth getting an APU. Get a normal CPU and a GPU.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

thanks for the vid :) i changed the mobo to an asus cause i didnt need all the options it came with. i can send in a performanc test in 10 Days if someone is interrested in it :)

• 2 weeks later...

I took a chance on ditching the discrete GPU on my main desktop and I’m very pleased with the result.  A10-7850k on an ASUS A88XM-Plus MB, with cooler master 212 and 8GB of Gskill 2400 RAM.  This slotted into my existing R4 design case with my existing bequiet! power supply and ssd.

Fantastic desktop performance.  Gaming performance is unchanged (world of tanks is the most intensive game I play).   The most impressive feature is the silence. There is zero noise coming from under my desk, whereas my old 5830 graphics card and cooler made a noticeable hum (same case).  Downsides.  This APU won’t be able to game on a higher resolution monitor should I want to go 4k.  Also the APU copes less well with simultaneous gaming and video, something that did not bother my old GPU. 

I’m now sold on APUs. Looking forward to next year when Intel might also be able to offer something competitive.

• 3 weeks later...

How can I get rights to use the intro song on my own channel? Love Tristam!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This might be a noob question but I need your help guys!

I checked this build on the PSU engine from Cooler Master, it says that 527 watts is the minimum power required.

Is it reasonable to use a 550W PSU instead of the 400W that was in the parts list?

This might be a noob question but I need your help guys!

I checked this build on the PSU engine from Cooler Master, it says that 527 watts is the minimum power required.

Is it reasonable to use a 550W PSU instead of the 400W that was in the parts list?

If you add a midrange videocard, yes. If you plan on using only the APU itself, 400 watts should suffice.

Do remember to buy from a reputable manufacturer as well, though. The newer models from Cooler Master, All Corsair stuff, Seasonic, Superflower etc... All okay to use.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

• 3 months later...

Would anyone here recommend doing an ITX build With kaveri? Tempted to do a prodigy build with the a10 or do I go prodigy m and go matx?