Future of 4K gaming

Dragon_Cannon

None said something about anodized :P just thought about a mat finish. Anodized aluminium catches fingerprints and has a kind of glossy texture .. what is not good for a monitors back in my opinion.

About the controller. I already designed a 16 bit microprocessor. It's hard but possible. Or we could hire someone to do it.

And about the pricing ...

http://www.lme.com/en-gb/metals/non-ferrous/aluminium/

I hope that clarifies, how cheap aluminium is. Just the manufacturing process can be expensive.

I knew aluminum was cheap my main issue was that the CNC machines that you would need to do this on a commercial scale are not.

I won't manufacture anything myself. That's not possible I would order the parts and put them together.

And it's kickstarter .. I don't want to make profit I want to get such a screen on the market.

I cant wait until 4k Gaming becomes a proper reality :P

No, none of us care, as you can see in this thread.

I won't manufacture anything myself. That's not possible I would order the parts and put them together.

And it's kickstarter .. I don't want to make profit I want to get such a screen on the market.

Fair enough, it would be nice if the manufacturers though in that way. If they put the consumer above the bottom line then lots more new and interesting things would get done.

If Seiki will put a DP on their TV it would be awesome. 

I think if really can get all the stuff and enough people who want one we can get out a much fairer price, than exspected.

I think if really can get all the stuff and enough people who want one we can get out a much fairer price, than exspected.

Oh no what have I started?

Though in all honesty cheap 4K gaming monitors would be amazing. Not necessarily with TN panels preferably IPS ones but 60Hz or 120Hz as apposed to the 30Hz that Ryan at pc per was using, because that is the max refresh rate that the current generation of HDMI can drive.  

Fair enough, it would be nice if the manufacturers though in that way. If they put the consumer above the bottom line then lots more new and interesting things would get done.

I bet Seiki isn't making much profit off this, although they are getting a lot of brand recognition because of this.

I bet Seiki isn't making much profit off this, although they are getting a lot of brand recognition because of this.

The small amount of money but the large amount of recognition in the short term maybe a bad thing for the company, but in the long term the publicity will surely do good things for the company.

The small amount of money but the large amount of recognition in the short term maybe a bad thing for the company, but in the long term the publicity will surely do good things for the company.

Exactly, I know no company is going to do something like that out of the kindness of their heart, but the fact remains that can be a win-win situation for both Seiki and the consumers.

Exactly, I know no company is going to do something like that out of the kindness of their heart, but the fact remains that can be a win-win situation for both Seiki and the consumers.

Couldn't agree with you more.

The future of 4K gaming is bright. A recent article over on pc per http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-High-End-GPUs-Benchmarked-4K-Resolutions has had Ryan looking at the feasibility of 4K gaming.

In the article he goes over things such as how the current generation of cards stack for 4K on both the red and the green team. It shows that the current generation of cards are capable of not only being able to push 4K resolution but also doing so at some very playable frame rates.

The Titan stacks up well for 4K gaming as is to be expected with the 6GB frame buffer and the GK110 chip. But what is even more surprising is that the 2GB GTX 680 has borderline playable frame rates with a noticeable improvement when the 4GB version is used. The 7970 is still the clear front runner when it comes to 4K gaming for single GPU under $1000 averaging 2-3 fps in almost all situations which when you end up down at around the 20 fps mark could make all the difference. 

There are graphs in this article that show just how well of a job AMD has done currently of tackling the frame time issue that exists with Crossfire configurations. http://www.pcper.com/image/view/23662?return=node%2F57125. The article says that the driver wont be ready until June/July but with the current progress that AMD have made I have no doubt that they will have made I have no doubt that it will be much better when they release it to the public. Will it be as good as the what nvidia has to do with frame times? No because they have hardware on the cards to help to smooth it out but will it be close. I would bet on it. 

All in all the future of 4K gaming looks bright, maybe not in the next generation of graphics cards but most likely in the one after we will have 60 or even greater FPS. The only place that the performance can go is up from here. With the price of 4K televisions and monitors ever decreasing in price, it make 4K not a niche gaming platform but almost at certain gaming platform. 

I hardly consider 20-40FPS playable.

I hardly consider 20-40FPS playable.

That is with the current generation of hardware aimed mostly at 1080 and 1600 gaming. Next generation more than likely the generation after that I imagine that we will be seeing 60+ at 4K resolutions

I think AA on a 4K 22-27 inch monitor will not be necessary (that's the size of the monitors most of us gamers use).

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

I think AA on a 4K 22-27 inch monitor will not be necessary (that's the size of the monitors most of us gamers use).

27" screen maybe not. But it does depend on at what point the jaggies annoy you, because if we assume that the resolution is 3840 x 2160 which is one of the 4K resolutions the other is 4K2K which is 4096 x 2160. The standard 4K has a pixel density of 163 PPI(Pixels Per Inch) the 4K2K has a pixel density of 171 PPI.

I personally don't find aa that helpful even at 2560*1600 30"... I could tell the difference in a screen capture but in actual game play I'd rather have the responsiveness than the slight improvement in clarity

It's definitely insane how quickly 4k is taking off and becoming feasible. In a few years it may be the norm and we may be looking forward to even higher resolutions. I'm already making reservations to auction my body for money. (no, I don't mean prostitution. )

I personally don't find aa that helpful even at 2560*1600 30"... I could tell the difference in a screen capture but in actual game play I'd rather have the responsiveness than the slight improvement in clarity

In my experience I use a 22" 1920x1080 monitor and I don't notice the jaggies probably because I don't go looking for them. But even if I did I don't imagine that they would annoy me.

I'll wait for the content to come along before I start to care about 4k. Still a few years to go I'd say. I mean, 1080 is only really becoming a thing now, as in becoming widespread & being used more often than not.

You haven't played LA NOIRE then, that game without AA looks absolutely atrocious. Most open world games without AA do.

I agree though, I wouldn't enable AA unless I manage to get playable FPS, for me that's anything over 50.

And I'm not sure if you mean input latency, because conventional AA (MSAA) in fact does not induce input latency.

Other cheap AA methods however, like FXAA can, due to the fact that they are rendered after the frame is drawn, unlike MSAA which is drawn onto the frame itself.

Imagine the frame as a drawing on a piece of paper, FXAA is tracing peper that is placed over the original drawing that reduces jagged lines.

MSAA alters the drawing itself, instead of placing a layer over it.

That is with the current generation of hardware aimed mostly at 1080 and 1600 gaming. Next generation more than likely the generation after that I imagine that we will be seeing 60+ at 4K resolutions

Of course, but I would really appreciate GPUs optimized for 2160p @ 120Hz+, especially with people finally realizing that refresh rate matters by standardizing 120Hz on 4K televisions.

Of course, but I would really appreciate GPUs optimized for 2160p @ 120Hz+, especially with people finally realizing that refresh rate matters by standardizing 120Hz on 4K televisions.

GPU that can do that are generations away. And tvs that can do that are even further because it is commercially nonviable because 99.99% of people that go out and buy a 4K TV are not gonna be running 3D games on it.

To each his own I guess, I use a 22" 1080p monitor so PPI is about the same (display is probably sitting closer though). While it's not too annoying without AA I do immediately notice the difference from 2xAA (the difference between 2x and 4x a bit less so but still noticeable and from 4x to 8x the difference is too little), even without actively looking for differences, especially with things like poles or window/door frames.

I actually do prefer using FXAA in some games, though, such as Skyrim, I think it gives more immersive experience because it looks less artificially sharpened, while also helping with performance.

GPU that can do that are generations away. And tvs that can do that are even further because it is commercially nonviable because 99.99% of people that go out and buy a 4K TV are not gonna be running 3D games on it.

Absolutely, but we're talking about the future of 4K gaming, not just the next generation of GPUs.

Absolutely, but we're talking about the future of 4K gaming, not just the next generation of GPUs.

Based on the current generation of stuff and what we expect from future generations and with optimizations yet to be made for 4K as it is still a new platform. The future looks promising.