Dual Loop vs Single Loop

So if you were to run a short loop with like a 420 rad to a single CPU. And then maybe another short loop with a 480 rad to two or three graphics cards...

Or both of those rads to all of those components...

Which setup would perform better? Anyone have any experience with this?

Personally I prefer single loops, Dual loops are only really relevant if your going to do it purely from an aesthetic standpoint.

Pumps are much more efficient than people give them credit for and even a single D5 will be able to handle 2 480's and 3 or 4 blocks like you have described and there is no performance losses or gains from either method.

idk i would think that 2 loops would be more efficient at cooling but this is me talking out my but here i have no clue but it makes sense

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

It makes almost no difference, your coolant will only change by a point of a degree temps on it's way around the loop. The only differance between single and dual loops will be that with dual loops you'll need to think about how you allocate your rads to each particular components.

Do a Single loop, you won't feel the difference and it's easyer, cleaner you just need one reservoir ... if you are running dual pumps and have a pump failure your system will still run.

I would not recommend a dual loop simply because it costs ~double the money for minimal performance increases.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Use a single loop unless you like the astheathics of 2 pumps resevoirs etc. 2 loops only mean more points of failure and more maintenance.

Interested in Business and Technology

I'd say single loop as well. If you have the same ammount of radiators the difference will be minimal if there at all.

Yeah. Single loop is the best choice unless you are making a really insane loop like 5x 480 rads and 5-6 blocks.

Also, if you do a duo loop than it might take up too much space if you have a small case. I dont think it would be very easy to fit 2 T-virus resevoirs in a case that isn't huge without it looking cramped

The only reasons for dual loop are aesthetics reasons (this is hard and only a few cases I know I can do it right) or you will be simultanously loading both the CPU and GPU.  Otherwise, they don't improve performance in any way.  They often make tubing routing harder to look good.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

dual loop won't give you any major temp improvments however it can look cool when done correctly with 2 different colours

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

• 3 years later...