Need help with choosing and setting up one SSD drive

RiskyBomberPT

Hi guys

My system is currently running with 1TB Western Digital Blue drive and I want to put one SSD drive for my OS and my most used games for faster loading (currently I came back to W7 but will be using W8.1U1).

I already read a lot of stuff about SSD's and I am very very confused. They all have diferent specifications like controllers and stuff and I am confused on how I can run my SSD and my HDD both at the same time without compromising the performance of the system, and I am also confused on how I have to set up the drives

So before asking stuff about the drive I want I will just ask a few questions about the setup.

If I got it right what I should do is:

1 - Run a LiveCD or so and errase my HDD (because it has already the Windows bootloader and OS)

2 - Disconnect my HDD

3 - Connect the SSD to a free Sata3 port

4 - Install Windows normally

5 - Connect the HDD again, boot up the pc and in Windows format the HDD

6 - ???

7 - Profit?

The questions here are, the drives will appear seperatly? Can I have like Local Disk C: for the SSD and then 2 other Local Disks for my HDD?

I don't want to have one Local Disk using both SSD and HDD at the same time, I wanna know what I have in the SSD and what I don't have there

Also, there are any diferent procedures for installing Windows 8 or 7 in a SSD? I know formating it does require a different procedure (I dont know what but I know).

And the RAID things... I don't want any shadowing of my files, should I worry about any RAID setup or any thing like that? Or just install the drives as I mentioned?

And now to the shopping thingy!

I don't really know what the controllers you guys recommend, it seems there are good and bad controllers deppending on the situation, I'm not an hardcore user so I would like to know what drive of about 120gb you recommend me that performs well in a max of 100euros.

I've saw already some from the store I am planing to buy them from so I will drop here a list and you could please tell me which you recommend me?

KINGSTON SSDNOW V300 SERIES 120GB 2.5" SATA III  65,10€

SEAGATE 600 SSD 120GB SATA III 2.5 71,55€

KINGSTON SSDNOW V300 SERIES 120GB 2.5" SATA III BUNDLE 77,80€

CORSAIR FORCEGS 128GB 2.5" SSD SATA III 78,00€

ADATA XPG SX900 2.5" 128GB SSD SATAIII 79,00€

SAMSUNG SERIES 840 EVO ULTRASLIM 120GB 2.5" SATA III 83,85€

KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD 120GB 2.5" SATA III 84,85€

TOSHIBA Q SERIES SSD 128GB 2.5 SATA III  87,95€

KINGSTON SSDNOW KC300 120GB 2.5" SATA III 89,90€

PLEXTOR PX-M5S SERIES 128GB 2.5" SATA III 90,85€

CORSAIR FORCE SERIES LS 120GB 2.5'' SATA III 91,15€

INTEL 530 SSD 120GB 2.5" SATAIII  97,75€

Thank you all!

Edit: Forgot to put the Seagate 600

yes they will apear separately. Disk D: will probably be your hdd. as far as i know there isnt anyting different installing your operating system on a ssd except for better performance. 

I would go for the intel one as they are known for having a very high reliability.

When using an ssd, the setup, config and running of the device is the same as for a normal hdd. The only major change would be the way the ssd works internaly. As it has no moving parts therefore being much quiter and heating up less when running.

I would either go with the Intel, Corsair, Or Samsung. Those three ssd's will be your best options.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

Thanks for the quick answers! So the procedure is right? Good! It seems easy then, I was afraid it had more complications.

The intel is the most expensive one and there are various Corsair models. Is there any difference in between them? Like the controllers, performance, the quality, etc? If they are all OK I will probably go for the Corsair ForgeGS or the SS 840 EVO then

I just compared the specs between the 4 of them

The Samsung has the worst Sequencial Write and both Corsair (ForceGS and Force Series LS) have the best Sequencial Read and Write. Also the ForceGS has the bigger MTBF

I guess I might be going for the ForceGS then

Edit: There are people complaining about the Sandforce controller SSDs failing, is it a real problem of the controller? Or is it just general failling?