Best 2560x1440 display under $500

Nick Carter

I have been dying to try 1440p but don't have the budget for a $700 monitor. Anyone know of a respectible one under $500?

Have a look at those Korean displays on Ebay.

"There's no test like production!"

Monoprice has one or two Korean-panel displays that you might want to check out. Think it's a guarantee of less than 5 dead pixels, not sure how that compares to the ebay monitors like Leonidas.

Sold out! :/

But it is on special at Dell.com and Dell.ca

> Dell Canada (599$): http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=225-4015&baynote_bnrank=1&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

> Dell U.S (700$): http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=225-4015&baynote_bnrank=1&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

For 500$, it is possible to buy a genuine, high quality, 27inch 2560x1440 monitor (IPS). But you have to pay close attention to specials.

Sometimes Dell have these 24h specials, and you have great deal. So I would bookmark the Dell page, and check every day.

Korean panels my friend. They have quality screens but the build quality is subpar imo with gloss plastic all over the place.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

they have LOWER quality screens ( A or A- ), horrendously low quality chassis, and have fewer inputs.

the question is if better quality screens, better chassis, and more inputs are worth the extra cost of Dells and HPs.

but really, let's not pretend the cheap korean monitors are higher end.

they have LOWER quality screens ( A or A- ), horrendously low quality chassis, and have fewer inputs.

the question is if better quality screens, better chassis, and more inputs are worth the extra cost of Dells and HPs.

but really, let's not pretend the cheap korean monitors are higher end.

That part is never actually guaranteed over a Korean monitor due to the rejection methods. While the rest are spot on, it's more of a case of do you want to gamble a little, or take no risks. It's not rare to get a perfect panel from a Korean monitor, but it's also very possible to get a bad one as well.

sorry, wasn't being specific enough.  all 27" dell and hp panels are A+ (unless something cheaper like the u2713hm isn't?).  Korean panels are A/A-.

none of the korean panels I've seen have come pre-calibrated like you can with some dell/hp monitors.  As well, most of them don't even have OSDs - that means, as far as i know, you need to screw around with your graphics card settings to do make any sort of quality change (i doubt the end quality is as guarenteed as with an OSD) (not including hardware changes to the panel itself).

sorry, wasn't being specific enough.  all 27" dell and hp panels are A+ (unless something cheaper like the u2713hm isn't?).  Korean panels are A/A-.

none of the korean panels I've seen have come pre-calibrated like you can with some dell/hp monitors.  As well, most of them don't even have OSDs - that means, as far as i know, you need to screw around with your graphics card settings to do make any sort of quality change (i doubt the end quality is as guarenteed as with an OSD) (not including hardware changes to the panel itself).

The ratings are what they are rated for at the factory, and only give you the gist of what might, if anything be wrong with them (As batches are rejected based on sample units, so it's possible a panel rated as an A- could be perfect while a A+ could have defects.) It is also not uncommon for people owning both Korean panels and Dell/HP units to use Colorimeters on their monitors.

Something else, is warranty.
If the Korean monitor is broken, it will cost you a fortune to ship it to Korea.
Moreover, the warranty are filled with conditions to not cover you. Plus the dead/bright/struck pixels policy have even more conditions, with distance and zones policy, essentially not covering you

In the case of Dell, any fault (beside done by you, of course), it’s a replacement. It has a 0 bright/stuck policy. So if you see a stuck or bright pixel anywhere on the screen, you'll get a replacement. And also, for dead pixels, it's 6 or more, which is highly competitive, and again no zone or distance crap. You count 6 or more -> replacement.

When you call for warranty for a replacement, Dell ships you immediately a replacement monitor. You get to keep your monitor while you wait for the replacement so that you can still use your system. Once you receive the replacement, you just swamp the monitors, and in the box of the replacement, you'll find a pre-paid shipping label. So Yes, Dell pays you shipping BOTH direction, and everything is done for you. Just stick the label over the old one, and call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up. That easy!

As for the potential faulty pixel or issue with the Dell monitor: The monitor that you get a certified at the factory to be perfect. However, the factory doesn't do several hour check. So with transport, LG to Dell, and then Dell manufacturing plants to Dell warehouse, and Dell warehouse to you, or simply using the panel more, you might be unlucky, and heave an issue. However!

1) You can return, as per law in most countries, you have a certain number of days that you can return or exchange (exchange and return for any faults, Dell will PAY the return shipping. More specifically: They'll e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label, which you just print and tape with transparent tape on the box, and you just call the appropriate mail carrier to pick it up. For exchanges, Dell sends you immediately a new monitor as you do the call. So no long wait.

2) Its rare. It's certainly a lot rarer than the Cheap Korean monitor

The price difference between the Cheap Korean monitor and this Dell monitor is about 200-300$ (depending which model you compare too, and if there is specials or not on the Dell monitor).
For 200 or 300$ more you have:

• The panel has been processed for a high-quality anti-glare treatment.

• You have full support for 3 years, vs. virtually none, filled with condition and complications, for 1 year only. And you have to pay shipping, which will cost you a fortune. I heard people paying even 100$ to get it shipped, and had to wait a long time for them to wait for the monitor received, check out the fault, and then, if you are lucky for approval, ship you a replacement one, which can be faulty as well in some fashion (blurry pixels, you can see the back light on the side of pixel(s), blurry zone, durability issue, and of course dead/stuck/bright pixels, or other).

• Full On screen Display Menu, which is also easy to navigate.

• High quality build construct, with 0 wobble.

• Fully adjustable stand, with metal mechanical system.

• Multiple inputs.

• Pre-color calibrated profile at manufacture with report.

• Internal power supply. No ultra crappy, cheapo, propitiatory power supply for the monitor. Also, any non-cheap Korean monitor are: ENERGY STAR 5.1, EPEAT Gold, and TCO Certified monitor.

• All needed cable to get started are there. You need to replace the power cable for the cheap Korean monitor to your region wall plug, and you need to get your own DVI cable, which is, standard stuff in any monitor you buy from the anywhere else.

• In the case of the Dell U2713HM, no pulse PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) used for the LED back light, so no flickering. And if these high end consumer grade monitor does use one, it’s usually at a super high frequencies or over 2500Hz, so impossible to see flickering visible even for those who have very sensitive eyes.

I think it's a very worthy premium.

Something else, is warranty.

If the Korean monitor is broken, it will cost you a fortune to ship it to Korea.

Moreover, the warranty are filled with conditions to not cover you. Plus the dead/bright/struck pixels policy have even more conditions, with distance and zones policy, essentially not covering you

In the case of Dell, any fault (beside done by you, of course), it’s a replacement. It has a 0 bright/stuck policy. So if you see a stuck or bright pixel anywhere on the screen, you'll get a replacement. And also, for dead pixels, it's 6 or more, which is highly competitive, and again no zone or distance crap. You count 6 or more -> replacement.

When you call for warranty for a replacement, Dell ships you immediately a replacement monitor. You get to keep your monitor while you wait for the replacement so that you can still use your system. Once you receive the replacement, you just swamp the monitors, and in the box of the replacement, you'll find a pre-paid shipping label. So Yes, Dell pays you shipping BOTH direction, and everything is done for you. Just stick the label over the old one, and call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up. That easy!

As for the potential faulty pixel or issue with the Dell monitor: The monitor that you get a certified at the factory to be perfect. However, the factory doesn't do several hour check. So with transport, LG to Dell, and then Dell manufacturing plants to Dell warehouse, and Dell warehouse to you, or simply using the panel more, you might be unlucky, and heave an issue. However!

1) You can return, as per law in most countries, you have a certain number of days that you can return or exchange (exchange and return for any faults, Dell will PAY the return shipping. More specifically: They'll e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label, which you just print and tape with transparent tape on the box, and you just call the appropriate mail carrier to pick it up. For exchanges, Dell sends you immediately a new monitor as you do the call. So no long wait.

2) Its rare. It's certainly a lot rarer than the Cheap Korean monitor

The price difference between the Cheap Korean monitor and this Dell monitor is about 200-300$ (depending which model you compare too, and if there is specials or not on the Dell monitor).

For 200 or 300$ more you have:

-> The panel has been processed for a high-quality anti-glare treatment.

-> You have full support for 3 years, vs. virtually none, filled with condition and complications, for 1 year only. And you have to pay shipping, which will cost you a fortune. I heard people paying even 100$ to get it shipped, and had to wait a long time for them to wait for the monitor received, check out the fault, and then, if you are lucky for approval, ship you a replacement one, which can be faulty as well in some fashion (blurry pixels, you can see the back light on the side of pixel(s), blurry zone, durability issue, and of course dead/stuck/bright pixels, or other).

-> Full On screen Display Menu, which is also easy to navigate.

-> High quality build construct, with 0 wobble

-> Fully adjustable stand, with metal mechanical system

->Multiple inputs

-> Pre-color calibrated profile at manufacture with report.

-> Internal power supply. No ultra crappy, cheapo, propitiatory power supply for the monitor. Also, any non-cheap Korean monitor are: ENERGY STAR 5.1, EPEAT Gold, and TCO Certified monitor.

-> All needed cable to get started are there. You need to replace the power cable for the cheap Korean monitor to your region wall plug, and you need to get your own DVI cable, which is, standard stuff in any monitor you buy from the anywhere else.

-> In the case of the Dell U2713HM, no pulse PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) used for the LED back light, so no flickering. And if these high end consumer grade monitor does use one, it’s usually at a super high frequencies or over 2500Hz, so impossible to see flickering visible even for those who have very sensitive eyes.

I think it's a very worthy premium.

I find the bolded part pretty silly on a $700 monitor, their warranty while being longer is nearly the exact same as Monoprice. I do know it's within industry standard, but come on. But a lot of that comes down to what a user can do with and do without. The monitors wouldn't be extremely popular if they were mostly bad, that much is clear. Most people tend to be interested in the 2560x1440 display itself and not what it's built around, so why spend the extra $250-$400 on things that don't interest you? In the end the person buying the monitor needs to weigh what they can do with and do without. But when someone asks for a WQHD display under $500, they're pretty much stuck with a handful of options that aren't from name brands unless they're second hand.

The warranty bit is the one people should look into, but most North American distributors are pretty good about it. A small markup over their Korean based counter-parts, but well worth it.