What song are you listening to right now.

killers993
26 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

True they are very similar. The pro-ject has a tonearm lift though which is nice to have. It's also quite a bit cheaper. But im looking for a high end table now. Gonna give the pro-ject to a friend if they want it :)

Just out of curiosity, what's the platter on the Primary E made of?

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Just now, Volbet said:

Just out of curiosity, what's the platter on the Primary E made of?

Seems like MDF with a thick coat of black paint, its the same as the actual base. It does come with a felt mat in the box though. But you can buy an acrylic platter for it which just drops in, the actual platter just slots into the base and can be lifted out easily.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

27 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Seems like MDF with a thick coat of black paint, its the same as the actual base. It does come with a felt mat in the box though. But you can buy an acrylic platter for it which just drops in, the actual platter just slots into the base and can be lifted out easily.

It's just that the plinth is made of a composit material, and I was wondering if the platter was the same. 

Considering what other companies charge for composit pliths, I though a used Primary E might be a cheap source for one. 

I was never really sold on the idea of acrylic platters. They do look really cool, but I highly doubt the claims of major sound improvements. 

56 minutes ago, Volbet said:

It's just that the plinth is made of a composit material, and I was wondering if the platter was the same. 

Considering what other companies charge for composit pliths, I though a used Primary E might be a cheap source for one. 

I was never really sold on the idea of acrylic platters. They do look really cool, but I highly doubt the claims of major sound improvements. 

Apparently it helps with midrange and treble harshness.. but if it did why wouldnt all high end turntables be sold with acrylic platters? like most have big high mass stainless steel platters.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 6/10/2019 at 3:37 AM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Welcome Back by Mase

Fuck, this version of the song's loud.

lOuDneSs wAr vEtErAn

24 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Apparently it helps with midrange and treble harshness.. but if it did why wouldnt all high end turntables be sold with acrylic platters? like most have big high mass stainless steel platters.

I know there's theoretically a difference in lower mass platters, since acrylic won't "ring" the same way a steel or aluminum platter would. 

In theory this should lead to less distortion, but I've done a lot of comparison tests between the stock aluminum and glass platter on my Pro-ject 6.1 and an aftermarket acrylic platter. 

While it could be down to my signal chain, I simply haven't been able to tell the difference between the two. 

22 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I know there's theoretically a difference in lower mass platters, since acrylic won't "ring" the same way a steel or aluminum platter would. 

In theory this should lead to less distortion, but I've done a lot of comparison tests between the stock aluminum and glass platter on my Pro-ject 6.1 and an aftermarket acrylic platter. 

While it could be down to my signal chain, I simply haven't been able to tell the difference between the two. 

You would probably have to have a pretty damn transparent and detailed system to hear a difference anyway, or vibrations going through the turntable which get damped more by the acrylic than the MDF or other material.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I love foreign language music. They could be saying complete garbage but so long as it was sweet enough I'd never know.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

Basket case by green day

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!