The hobbit

jarreddean

Who has seen the hobbit? Did they enjoy it ? Do they like / hate the fact that its a three part movie? please let me know.

I saw it on release day and I plan to go watch it again in 48fps just to see what all the fuss is about.

I am a huge fan of Tolkien and I knew what to expect so in my opinion it was a great movie that did a fantastic job with the reference material it had available.

I don't know if I would prefer to see maybe a two part movie but we will definitely see about that in a year and a half. I also like the fact that they try to bring some of the behind the scenes action that is only briefly referenced in the book The Hobbit because it provides the film and the viewers with a more complete story of what happened.

I saw it on release day and I plan to go watch it again in 48fps just to see what all the fuss is about.

I am a huge fan of Tolkien and I knew what to expect so in my opinion it was a great movie that did a fantastic job with the reference material it had available.

I don't know if I would prefer to see maybe a two part movie but we will definitely see about that in a year and a half. I also like the fact that they try to bring some of the behind the scenes action that is only briefly referenced in the book The Hobbit because it provides the film and the viewers with a more complete story of what happened.

I don't mind about the three part movie mainly because the more of Tolkiens work that comes to life the better. I think I've watched the lotr's about 30 times. I still felt like I missed certain things from the book such as Tom Bombadil and the female ents. Haha I wish I could watch it in 48 frames per second unfortunately I don't think it will be shown in Australia I could be wrong bur. Please let me know how it is

Also today is Tolkien's birthday. If you live in Australia I can bet you that there are theater that show the Hobbit in 48fps. If I am able to go and watch it in 48fps here in Greece then it is almost certain that it is also available in Australia. You should try and find a theater that shows it in 48fps I believe your search will provide results.

Also today is Tolkien's birthday. If you live in Australia I can bet you that there are theater that show the Hobbit in 48fps. If I am able to go and watch it in 48fps here in Greece then it is almost certain that it is also available in Australia. You should try and find a theater that shows it in 48fps I believe your search will provide results.
Haha yes I should of googled it better, you are 100% correct, my bad I read somewhere that only certain cinemas got it, so I assumed. Haha I definaly going to watch it in hfr. Thanks I probably wouldn't of bothered searching.. Ah yes it is. Did you ever have a look at The Silmarillion?

Saw it on releaseday also, in the very first few minutes i thought the quick movements were a kind of blurry...but after all, it wasn't the feeling of an tv-production ( like some critics mentioned on the case of 48fps). Hmm can't say anything harsh at all ( fanboy restrictions). My opinion for now is: give me 3 films and give me a decent 'fight angainst the necromancer' ( cause i don't got Tom Bombadil, not even in the special extended edition, bah !).

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

Saw it on releaseday also, in the very first few minutes i thought the quick movements were a kind of blurry...but after all, it wasn't the feeling of an tv-production ( like some critics mentioned on the case of 48fps). Hmm can't say anything harsh at all ( fanboy restrictions). My opinion for now is: give me 3 films and give me a decent 'fight angainst the necromancer' ( cause i don't got Tom Bombadil, not even in the special extended edition, bah !).
I think it will be. I'm going to re read the hobbit because there is so much I've forgotten.

I think that most critics are just resistant to change. Of course I have to watch it in 48fps myself to form an opinion but this will be sorted out soon.

Also jareddean, what kind of a Tolkien fan would I be had I not read the Silmarillion? Of course I have read it!

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the hobbit had a distinct lack of blood. I realised this when I watched the film for a second time, I think that possibly it is to lower the rating(less gore) or to reduce production costs(less cgi to add)

what are your thoughts?

Are you sure you saw it in 48fps? It's still displayed in standard 24fps in most places because the technology is not available everywhere.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

It's great, the 48 fps made it smoother in my opinion and I really liked the adaptation of the poems and such the dwarves sing.

One part that really stood out for me was the rock giant fight.

I didn't like where it ended, it was too sudden in my opinion.

Main Rig: 2500k @ 4.5Ghz, 2x4gb of ram @ 1600mhz, P8Z77-M, GTX 760

Crappy old laptop: Toshiba Tecra A6 PTA61E, 2x512mb of ram @ 533mhz, Intel C2D @ 1.83Ghz

I saw this movie in IMAX 3D and hope to see it again in regular 2D. The way Peter Jackson set the storyline and added things that were not in the book was odd but I think after the trilogy has ended it will work as a whole.

The way Peter Jackson set the storyline and added things that were not in the book was odd but I think after the trilogy has ended it will work as a whole.
The storyline about the necromancer and Dol Guldur is from the appendices to The Return of the King, with a few chances of course. At first I though that this was a great idea, because it creates a nice connection to the LotR movies, but now I'm not so shure anymore. The threat from Dol Guldur makes the dwarven quest look small and unimportant.

to know the face of Dodge is to know madness

Take a look at what I’ve been watching…

affirmative, 3D HFR (48fps) !

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

The way Peter Jackson set the storyline and added things that were not in the book was odd but I think after the trilogy has ended it will work as a whole.
The storyline about the necromancer and Dol Guldur is from the appendices to The Return of the King, with a few chances of course. At first I though that this was a great idea, because it creates a nice connection to the LotR movies, but now I'm not so shure anymore. The threat from Dol Guldur makes the dwarven quest look small and unimportant.

I think the second movie is more about dol guldur, but at the end there will be this epic event that brings everyone back to the dwarven quest. And there is still the massive battle at the end.

Well firstly, I'm from Australia so viewing the film in 48 frames isn't possible, so no comment on that. Apart from that, I was honestly disappointed with the whole thing. The way that the dwarves were portrayed just made the whole thing seem rather shallow in my opinion. There was no real grandeur about the way the story was told, which should really be in a movie of this genre. As a massive tolkien fan I appreciated the little references from the silmallirion and such but all in all, disappointed.

Well firstly, I'm from Australia so viewing the film in 48 frames isn't possible, so no comment on that. Apart from that, I was honestly disappointed with the whole thing. The way that the dwarves were portrayed just made the whole thing seem rather shallow in my opinion. There was no real grandeur about the way the story was told, which should really be in a movie of this genre. As a massive tolkien fan I appreciated the little references from the silmallirion and such but all in all, disappointed.
You can here is the list of au cinemas showing in 48fps http://m.cnet.com.au/where-can-you-watch-the-hobbit-in-48fps-339342799.htm?redir=1

I saw it at 48fps and thought it was great, the film itself is also fantastic! Some of the scenes were drawn out a bit too much and could have been cut shorter but overall it was really good. With regards to it being in three parts, I think there is definitely enough content to fill the other two films.

I haven't read the book but am hugely excited for the next two Hobbit films!

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I saw it at 48fps and thought it was great, the film itself is also fantastic! Some of the scenes were drawn out a bit too much and could have been cut shorter but overall it was really good. With regards to it being in three parts, I think there is definitely enough content to fill the other two films.

I haven't read the book but am hugely excited for the next two Hobbit films!

The 48fps wasn't a bother to me like as my TV has something they call "Motionflow XR 800" which displays the image at the equivalent of 800fps (800Hz) and is 200Hz as standard when the Motionflow XR 800 is turned off. I hear a lot of people saying they hate 48fps but I enjoyed it.
12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I also saw the movie on release day. I thought it was very good. I think that now we have only seen the first part it seems like 3 parts is a bit too much, but i like how much the movie goes into the (long) details of the book. So the people who have actualy read the book will be happy with 3 parts when all the parts are released.

There are a few things i didn't like, the long appearance of radegast for instance i didn't like.

but the necromancer, where loads of people complain about, i think is a nice setup for the lord of the rings story

I went to the 48fps version, and i am going to the cinema tonight to watch it again

I've been getting a lot of stick for not watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I don't really have a reason why but the hobbit trilogy is a good way for me to start it from fresh. I went to see it in 3D HFR version because I wanted to see if i can actually make out any sort of difference or if it was just another marketing scheme but as it turned out I could and I liked it. It took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to the frame rate but once I did I really enjoyed it. The scenes looked a lot smoother and a lot nicer, probably the best CGI that I've seen in a while. The only thing that I noticed was a slight camera wobble from side to side in some scenes, I'd say that the increased FPS exaggerates the camera movement. The movie itself was awesome, it did not feel like 3 hour film, the action was good and paced out properly. It was like watching a movie version of some RPG game with loot and dungeon crawling. Good movie.

Oh wow sorry for spamming the posts, whenever I clicked the post button it gave me an error box saying something about a syntax error, I didn't realize it would go ahead and post it anyways, sorry mods.

Oh wow sorry for spamming the posts, whenever I clicked the post button it gave me an error box saying something about a syntax error, I didn't realize it would go ahead and post it anyways, sorry mods.
that is a common problem right now - therefor beta ^^ - you should be able to delete a message via edit button...

Ah cheers hehe, at least I can delete them now :) I'd rather not make too much of a mess in threads.

you're welcome mate ^^ , at this state everbody will discover some funny things in here...