Two 120mm case fans to GPU

Hi,

I have Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce graphics card, (link below):
http://www.gigabyte.fi/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4629#ov

I've had this idea for a long time, and now I thought that maybe I could give it a try.

So this is the idea:

I'd remove the windforce fans and frame from the GPU.

Then mount two Scythe Grand Flex PWM fans with somekind of solution (build new frame or zip ties) to the radiator grill.

Fans would be connected together with Akasa 4pin PWM Y-splitter, which would be connected to GELID solutions VGA PWM 4-pin adapter which would be mounted to GPU.
This way the GPU could control both of the fans by itself.

Now, can this be done?

Would there be problems with power distribution since these fans might draw more power than the stock ones?

Off-topic question, why does my GPU fans go 100% when booting into Windows 8.1?
This lasts about 20 seconds until I've reached the log in screen.

Might be a bit annoying to hear those 2400rpm Scythes go berserk every time I boot.

Here are the products I'm talking about:

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/grand-flex-pwm.html
http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=2&cid=11&id=60
http://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Cables&type_sub=Fan%20Cable%20Adapters&model=AK-CBFA04-15#

Thank you for everyone who can help me.

Is there problems with your GPU temps? 

You could probably do it, but it'd be a bit of a pain.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Is there problems with your GPU temps? 

You could probably do it, but it'd be a bit of a pain.

No, there is no problem with temps.

This would be done for two reasons:

1. To reduce fan noise drastically when under heavy load.

2. Because I can.

Howcome it would be "a bit of a pain"?

No, there is no problem with temps.

This would be done for two reasons:

1. To reduce fan noise drastically when under heavy load.

2. Because I can.

Howcome it would be "a bit of a pain"?

Does the frame come off seperately from the heatsink? And figuring out how to mount them close enough to the heatsink to benefit from the extra airflow may be a bit difficult to get them into the right spot.

This may drop temps by a decent amount of degrees, I think 5~ maybe 10 tops which is a decent temp drop. But it should help with fan noise quite a bit.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Does the frame come off seperately from the heatsink? And figuring out how to mount them close enough to the heatsink to benefit from the extra airflow may be a bit difficult to get them into the right spot.

This may drop temps by a decent amount of degrees, I think 5~ maybe 10 tops which is a decent temp drop. But it should help with fan noise quite a bit.

Well, this is yet to be discovered.

But first I'd want to know for sure that this will work and will be safe. Then I'll start to rip off my GPU and explore what can be done with the frame.

The frame is metal after all, taking it off wont be the problem in this mod.

In theory it should work but I've never seen people try to do it. The only issue I could see coming up would be if the fans use too many volts or if the mounting mechanism you come up with doesn't keep the fans close enough to the heatsink.

Other than that you should be fine. 

-- On the topic of your GPU going 100% load when windows 8.1 boots up, my PC does that as well. It gets pretty loud until I reach the login screen.

//ccap

In theory it should work but I've never seen people try to do it. The only issue I could see coming up would be if the fans use too many volts or if the mounting mechanism you come up with doesn't keep the fans close enough to the heatsink.

Other than that you should be fine. 

-- On the topic of your GPU going 100% load when windows 8.1 boots up, my PC does that as well. It gets pretty loud until I reach the login screen.

Hmm... Since we know how much power these Scythes use (from Scythe homesite), now we only need to know how much power can be drawn from that GPU connector to be safe.

Who could be the genius to know this?

If you do do it, then post us the results. I don't think something like this has been done.

Hmm... Since we know how much power these Scythes use (from Scythe homesite), now we only need to know how much power can be drawn from that GPU connector to be safe.

Who could be the genius to know this?

What motherboard do you have? Does it have working fan control software?

You could easily plug them into the motherboard, and figure out how warm the CPU gets while under certain loads, and then base the fan curve on how hot the GPU gets at certain CPU temps.

(most fan control software only let you adjust via CPU temps and case temps)

The gigabyte cooler can be quiet noise, that's true. I wouldn't rip the cooler apart though, because of the re-sell value. There are options out there that can achieve quietnes, like the Prolimatech MK-26 (black edition) with some decent fans, but then again, that costs a bit more than just the two fans. Also keep in mind that you're most likeley voiding the warranty if you take apart the stock cooler, so that it is irrevertible.

who cares...

What motherboard do you have? Does it have working fan control software?

I got Asus Z87 Gryphon m-ATX board.

Well, I had one other idea for this.

I'd buy only one 120mm PWM fan, and one normal 120mm fan.

PWM fan would be connected to GPU, but the other one would be connected to the manual fan controller which came with my Fractal Design Define Mini case.

Image here:

http://itshootout.com/ben/R3/fan-controller.jpg

This way I could control one fan manually and the GPU would control the other one.

I actually asked about this from Gigabyte, they replied and told me not to do it (so I'd not loose the warranty).

But they promised to reply again when they get the right information that can the GPU provide enough power to power these fans.

Just got mail from Gigabyte, here is what they said:

"Dear customer,

Thank you for your patient.

The fan wattage is 14.4 W.

The fans you have are able to cool the GPU, and the speed will adjust with the temperature of GPU.

If you have any question, please kindly contact your fans supplier for more advice. Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,
GIGABYTE
"

I just asked them that is the GPU able to use two fans with these specs:
Current: 0,45 A Power Input: 5,4 W.

Seems like it is ok to use two Scythe Grand Flex PWM fans with Y-splitter in Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce.

Ok this thread is starting to become kind of a monologue where I speak to myself.

I removed my GTX 770 from the motherboard and took a look into it.

Seems like the Windforce cooler is connected with only 4 screws to the cooler block.
Two of these screws can be accessed directly from the side of the card, but for the two others it'll be difficult.

I could bend small screwdriver to 90 degrees angle and try to use it...

Screw places shown here (under the top plastic).

1THYfwAl.jpg

When the fans (test ones) are layed over the existing cooler, they are just slightly larger than the Windforce plastic shroud.

FW37winl.jpg

c2QMYZ0l.jpg

I believe this wont be so ghetto looking when it's done (if I do it).

Okay, I tried it after getting confirmation of safety from Scythe and (second confirmation) from Gigabyte.
Mixed feelings.

All the stuff needed:
K4dIbsbl.jpg

Assembled:

rqBZdfdl.jpg

I got lucky with this screw since I could fit this small screwdriver through that small opening:
0hlzCW1l.jpg

For the last screw I had to sacrifice this screwdriver and bend it with pliers:

iEKJsVMl.jpg

Success:
kDS7vFbl.jpg

Scythes sure look cool:
IlcLpx5l.jpg

I used steelwire to bend the clips holding the fans in place. It's called piano wire in my country, don't know about USA and other places, it's extremely hard to bend and cut, and is kind of "springy" (not ordinary steelwire):
LnfuTehl.jpg

Looks good enough to me, not ghetto:
GBFnhkCl.jpg

Done. I just need to cut those cables short and do some soldering (or zip tie them neatly):
KNLQqqsl.jpg

Now for the noise and temperatures.

Idle noise is same as with the stock fans, although there is small clicking sound with the Scythe fans running at low speed.
But it is almost absent and I think I could get rid of it by putting something dampening material between the fans and the radiator.

Note that my PC is quieter than the Logitech subwoofers (sitting next to it) electric buzz when it's on (god damn silent), so the clicking is not loud at all.

I played DayZ Standalone 1080p everything maxed out about 20 minutes.
Temperature maxed out to 64 degrees celsius.
Hell of a lot better than with the stock fans.

Sadly the noise level was not that silent (primary reason of the mod). Maybe it could be because the GPU controls these fans the same way they control the stock fans (not knowing they are 120mm)?

Also there is bulk of air pressure lost to the side of the GPU where the fans overhang it.

But the noise was low hum instead of that whiny noise what stock fans make. But it was not quiet.

Also played Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad for about 15 minutes.

This is not nearly as demanding game for PC as DayZ SA.
Max temperature was 55 degrees celsius, everything maxed out 1080p.

With stock fans the temperature rises fast to 71 degrees celsius, this was huge improvement.

I have to say that with this game the fan noise was quieter than with the stock fans.

I will be considering buying that Prolimatech MK-26 Black, it might help with reducing fan RPMs.

Also, I'll try to test MSI Afterburner for controlling the fan speed.

So what do you guys think?

Second test gave a bit better results.

I detached the fans and put dampening material between the fans and the radiator.
Also put dampening material between the two fans. Then I zip tied the loose cables to give it more tidy look.

On top of that I moved my Fractal Design Define Mini front fan (Scythe Gentle Typhoon) from to upper position to the bottom position, now it gives more cool air to the GPU instead of CPU. 

Results after playing 12 minutes of DayZ Standalone:
Max was temperature 65 degrees celsius (case closed and case fans at minimum speed).

With the case side open or the case fans running faster it will stay cooler than that.

But the most important thing was that it was so much quieter than before!

I was not able to get rid of that ticking noise coming from the fans (not really audible if you're not 30cm from the fans).
But after these modification it looks like it is better now than the stock fans when it comes to noise.

• 3 months later...

Great guide. I might try and do this with my Sapphire 7870 Dual-X's since i'm going to run dual crossfire and i'm afraid of the temps.

Besides, how's the spacing? Does your setup take more than 2 slots? i'm afraid i have to go with Scythe Slip Stream Slims, and these are not pressure optimized. i guess everything is better than sapphire dual x's stock fans tho.

• 2 months later...

Also, I'll try to test MSI Afterburner for controlling the fan speed.

Do you have any updates on this? Did you try it?

I'm thinking about doing something similar to my WF3 7950.

This whole thread was a huge help so far. I literally just thought about this few minutes ago and googled to see how it would look. And now it seems like a genuine cool option.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

I was not able to get rid of that ticking noise coming from the fans (not really audible if you're not 30cm from the fans).

The ticking is probably due to the fan design not coping well with being mounted horizontally. I don't have this issue with better fans like NF-P12's. I'm still looking to swap them out for F12's for better voltage tolerance when it comes to starting up and staying on. 

796d725c4389a18bf15032e2a1c84522.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Besides, how's the spacing? Does your setup take more than 2 slots?

Actually after this setup I moved to Kraken G10 and H105, so unfortunately I can't help you with this. Sorry.

This whole thread was a huge help so far. I literally just thought about this few minutes ago and googled to see how it would look. And now it seems like a genuine cool option.

Thank you :)

• 2 months later...

Thanks a lot for this, I have exactly planned the same (I have a Zotac GTX 670 AMP) and already have the stuff in my Amazon basket ;). I was just wondering if two 92mm fans might be better as they could cover the GPU better? Also regarding dampening material, what have you used exactly? 

Ron

Thanks a lot for this, I have exactly planned the same (I have a Zotac GTX 670 AMP) and already have the stuff in my Amazon basket ;). I was just wondering if two 92mm fans might be better as they could cover the GPU better? Also regarding dampening material, what have you used exactly?

Ron

Two 120mm fans would cool better than two 92mm fans. 92mm fans would be easier to mount though.

Rubber spacers or foam can be used to dampen vibrations.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hell of a good guide im going to be doing this to my ASUS 7950v2TOP. The noise at low rpm is just killing it for me and the noise when i clock the card just gets on my nerves as well. So I'm going to remove the stock fans with their in-housing and going to put 2 CM Jetflo they push tons of air, look baller and at low rpm ( 400 - 1200) are dead silent. If interested when i do it hopefully in the next month or so ill make a new Topic showing off step by step. 

PS: Do you guys think its a good idea to connect the fans to the GPU PCB vie mini 4pin to 4pin adapter?  

Ohhh almost forgot I'm thinking of making a plastic (or other material) custome wind channel for the air that is going over and around the fans so I don't loose CFM and mm3h ....wish me luck :D !

• 1 month later...

Great thread!

I'm about to do it on a Sapphire r9 280 dual-x. So noisy in idle! 1450 rpm.

I'll put two Noctua 80 mm Redux PWM fans. Hope it goes well! I'll post results.

Do you think zip ties would melt on the heatsink?

Great thread!

I'm about to do it on a Sapphire r9 280 dual-x. So noisy in idle! 1450 rpm.

I'll put two Noctua 80 mm Redux PWM fans. Hope it goes well! I'll post results.

Do you think zip ties would melt on the heatsink?

No, they won't melt.

I want to do this with LED fans and my Asus Strix 970.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs