Facebook To Buy Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Gunzkewl

Well fuck

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

I'm was already not interested in the Oculus but was still following along in hopes that it becomes something appealing to me in the future but nope, future only holds disappointments. Oculus is deader than a dead door knob for me.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I'd take that 2 bill and forget about my product.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Welp... This might really be the end of VR headsets.

Why did you do this Oculus!? Why!?

I will not touch it with a 10 feet pole unless they release everything as open source and there is not a single binary blob in it. I am rather without a VR headset than use something Facebook has installed a billion backdoors into and tries to shove social media and ads down my throat. Maybe I should order the developer kit now before Facebook ruins it.

I doubt it, its too early and not at all funny really.

It really annoys any VR enthusiast, and all facebook gets is loads of people calling it crap,evil and complaining about it.

No real joke.

What if it escalates from here? Like, "Facebook Buys Google" and then a couple days later "Facebook Buys All The Internet". Has Facebook gone too far?

I can already see how the WAN show is going to be set up

slick is gong to be all rage and sadness over this news and linus will find the silver lining in that it will reach mass appeal faster and change the face of computing faster.

to that I say right now my addblocker is blocking 243 ads on my facebook page. second life VR world or whatever is planned by facebook is going to be riddled so heavily with ads 

@ LAwLz

I read someone's post that sort of intrigued me. They said essentially, "Well with this new money, perhaps development will be sped up."

I can certainly see how that would be the case. While initially (three minutes ago), I was freaking out... I am going to wait it out, see what happens. However, I am not going to be too quick to buy it... Frankly whatever Steam / Sony has to offer now trumps whatever Pile of Sh*t Oculus puts out...

And Askew, very good point. People freaking backed them up... they didn't sign on just to be bought out by a company who has nothing to do with anything gaming...

F*ck you oculus...

I'll check back later at the chain. Leaving for now.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Software Developer, Guitarist, Aspiring Politican-

oh god.why?!

Also how is Whatsapp worth 16 billion and Oculus only 2?

lol $400 mil in cash and the rest in facebook shares... who the F..... settles for facebook shares

Smart investors, FB has actually been going up in value and has good technical movement gains for this year too. 

Plus this acquisition will most likely bump up FB share prices even more. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Oculus is a business.

Facebook is a (terrible) business.

Grow up.

Just curious, how many people here that are upset, still use Facebook?

It's been pretty clear to me for years now, that Facebook needs a mass exodus of users.

Individually stopping using Facebook won't change anything. We need some proper organisation ! I would like Linus to mobilise the community via small videos from him and all other tech youtubers to all deactivate Facebook our accounts in the same time. That way, if there is a lot of us, we can at least make a point, and maybe we will show up on their radar. And at least facebook will lose some of the revenue that they make on us, however insignificantly small amount may that be.  

My 5000€ dream machine
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qzFFLD

A purchase by Valve woulda made more god dam sense. I'm expecting oculus to be somehow riddled with facebook shit later on down the line now... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Urge.... WHY??!?!?

Why can't we ever have nice things!?

Hopefully Facebook won't mess around with it too much, and is just in it to make a bit of money from the sales, NOT advertising.

This weeks WAN show is going to be interesting.

Isn't it always ?

:D

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

*Shrugs* down by around 1% that's little to nothing, they still made a good move in acquiring the value in shares. This is just the market doing what it does all the time during after hours. 

Whatsapp was a good reason for devaluation but oculus is very promising. 

Update: We're on the call now, and Mark Zuckerberg is already pointing out Facebook's acquisition of Instagram as an example of how the company is getting experience buying properties and allowing them to continue to operate independently. Zuckerberg called out virtual reality as one of the computing platforms of the future -- following desktops and mobile -- and yes, talked about building Facebook's advertising into it. Specifically, he talked about the potential of a virtual communication network, buying virtual goods, and down the line, advertising.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/25/facebook-oculus-vr-2-billion/

... I wanna puke

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

This just ruined my year........

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Markus Persson (minecraft creator) is with us! Minecraft VR version cancelled. Thanks Luke for retweeting this.

EDIT: for oculus anyways, may see a ps4 version 

So the only hope is Sony :(

What on Earth gives you the idea that Sony would've done any different?