Facebook To Buy Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Gunzkewl

"So even if a company like Amazon made a huge offer, it wouldn't matter? "Nobody can say it doesn't matter - everyone has a number," Luckey admitted. "But I don't think there's a reasonable number that would make me say, 'You know I was going to change the world with VR and try to change humanity forever but here's a number. It really is about making sure that we get to deliver our vision of consumer virtual reality."" - Palmer Luckey, March 3 2014

...Palmers number is 2 Billion.. solid number.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-28-vr-palmer-luckeys-quest-to-change-the-world

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Those news came out yesterday evening and the thread is already 22 pages long? Holy balls! I can't say how much i don't care about the aquisition. :D

who cares...

LOL! Some Say Facebook will not ruin the company..... I Said.. no... it will destroy it.  -_-  -_-  -_-  -_-  -_-  -_-  -_-

Lets see how it ends out, to be Honest i don't want Facebook to have ANYTHING to do with Oculus Rift.... But lets see how it goes

Ok, I calmed down now. I was seriously pissed before. Now I'm fine and think this isnt such a bad move for them or us...

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

I think people are getting too angry over this, if I am not wrong, Oculus will still be an independent company.... Nothing bad will happen to it... I hope... 

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

It's funny how 90% of the users here are just yelling "NOOOO" like 12 year old kids and they aren't even aware of what they are saying.

If Facebook really is a bad company we wouldn't be using Facebook. 

The End is Near

Most recent benchmark: Click

thats it. personally, Oculus is dead to me now !

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

Sony will now crush oculus for sure now.

Sony = focused on game

oculus/facebook = focused on ads in your eyes

Totally not interested now, im canceling my preorder 

I don't use Facebook, nor do most of my friends.  It's awful.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

It's funny how 90% of the users here are just yelling "NOOOO" like 12 year old kids and they aren't even aware of what they are saying.

mate yes they are, we use it because everyone is emotionally attached to it. They are super used to it, however the younger demographic is moving away from facebook so if that is happening then sooner or later the older will as well 

Argumentum ad populum.

Hate to use Hitler as an analogy but this one is pretty good. Hitler was very popular. People VOTED him into power. That did not mean he was good good though. Of course Facebook isn't as bad as Hitler but it's an example of the general public being wrong about something.

Haha, c'mon man. Practice what you preach here. Have you thought it through.

People as a whole are stupid as shit. Think of how many Americans are overweight, if fastfood was bad we wouldn't all be consuming it at extraordinary levels. Or Diabetes, if refined sugar was bad, we wouldn't all be consuming that shit at dangerous levels. If corn syrup was bad, then why would it be added to everything? Why would people smoke if it didn't make you run faster? People take drugs so there must be no consequences. There's no way TV can dumb people down, why would people watch it, if it didn't make them smarter.

Ok, I calmed down now. I was seriously pissed before. Now I'm fine and think this isnt such a bad move for them or us...

Exactly.

Facebook as well as Oculus said that this will make the Rift cheaper and better.

If it would really hurt Oculus I bet John Carmack would've already left.

With Facebook they have somebody that gives them huuuuuuuge resources that they didn't have before.

RTX2070OC 

Gaming will take a back seat from now on. The masses of the great unwashed don't want that.

Thank god i never got caught up in the VR hype train. 

If it would really hurt Oculus I bet John Carmack would've already left.

Nice :)

Also, here's some reasurrance for everyone:http://www.reddit.com/user/palmerluckey

NO!!

why would they do it????

if it will happen ill close my facebook and delete whatsapp

i truly will hate them if that will happen

I think that this means nothing for now since they say that Oculus will continue operating independently. If anything, it could mean more money for development. It's interesting to see what comes in the future however...

With Facebook they have somebody that gives them huuuuuuuge resources that they didn't have before.

Exactly, they've already mentioned custom hardware, not phone "scraps". This could actually really help, just the damage to the name is the biggest problem.

Everyone has taken a "oh god no" approach, but not really looked into it.

Being nervous about what they release is fine, but cancelling preorders and stuff before any info really is out what so ever is just silly.

This does seem to be a "Here's money, now go and do your own thing, throw some profits our way", at least for now.

Down the line, I see the ads coming over facebook's VR social network or similar.

Palmer has stated no login to fbook for playing/developing etc, and no in game ads, unless a specific developer chooses to add them.

But I don't see it happening soon, only once the platform has developed and has a userbase spanning outside of the PC enthusiasts. 

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I think that it is pretty obvious when looking at Whatsapp and Instagram that they are not going to ruin something that people are so excited about, or 'fix' something that isnt broken. Its a huge fuss over nothing.

90% of the people here are completely overreacting.(Sorry but it's true)

1. It will still be gaming focused.
For the simple reason that the average person isn't willing to pay that much money for VR or for the hardware you need to drive it.
Most people have still a Dual Core with integrated graphics or a GT610...
Even Console gamer aren't willing to pay money for their own consoles.

2.People are hating on Facebook because of ads...
Like serious every internet page has adds.
This Forum has adds,YouTube has adds,Google Search has adds, as well as 99% of the internet.

3.Facebook hasn't messed up anything that they bought till this date.(Whats App and Instagram work still fine)
Not like Google that messed up most stuff they bought like YouTube.(Thanks for Google+ :angry: )

4.It's still the same exact team working on Oculus nothing has really changed.
If it lost its focus for gaming why is John Carmack still working on it?

The hating just destroys the image of Oculus.
Hate on it if they really mess it up.
Until than wait and see.

RTX2070OC