Facebook To Buy Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Gunzkewl

Firstly, Oculus didn't need to do this, they'd already acquired tens of millions in funding anyway. It was their leadership being greedy. I can only hope that Oculus are left well alone to do their thing.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

They can't control us if our Faces melt!

1376235718838.jpg

In all seriousness, how long is it until Facebook owns an automobile company? Worse, a NAND Flash company?

• Oh, sorry, you actually can't install that game without authorizing it on Facebook.
  • I notice you're illegally downloading music. You can't save those files until you tweet the artist about it.
  • To improve Facebook speed, we've setup a cache on your SSD for peer-to-peer distribution of profile photos. Thanks!
  • Please purchase more Facebook shares to continue filling your SSD past 60GB.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

People come down.
Facebook said that it will still be a hold separate and that they first want to establish Occulus for gaming before they expand it to other areas.
Wait and see before bitching around.(Better Facebook than Microsoft)

This should be great for Occulus.(BTW Instagram is still fine and it's also owned by Facbook)

RTX2070OC 

People come down.

Facebook said that it will still be a hold separate and that they first want to establish Occulus for gaming before they expand it to other areas.

Wait and see before bitching around.(Better Facebook than Microsoft)

This should be great for Occulus.(BTW Instagram is still fine and it's also owned by Facbook)

Instagram is just an extension of Facebook. They are about to start monetizing it in exactly the same way. So expect integrated adverts soon.

Data Mining + Advertising that's what Facebook brings to the table. And that's ultimately what will be the outcome for Oculus VR. 

It won't be great for the gaming aspect of Oculus, I suspect the gaming community will completely ditch the platform.

You guys are taking this way out of proportion

Zuckerberg said he could envision people visiting virtual worlds where they can buy goods and are served advertisements.

and "we will continue our success in the advertisement field on this new platform". Source

If you're still planning on buying this, you're a sucker. All hope is lost, go home guys.

Zuckerberg said he could envision people visiting virtual worlds where they can buy goods and are served advertisements.

and "we will continue our success in the advertisement field on this new platform". Source

If you're still planning on buying this, you're a sucker. All hope is lost, go home guys.

Are you saying you honestly believe this will affect games?

That's moronic.

That's moronic.

Integrated game ads?

Integrated game ads?

Yes, because as we call know, Occulus makes games.

Yes, because as we call know, Occulus makes games.

Dude, oculus support has to be coded into the game. Facebook is already openly saying that they want to sell you ads with it. There's going to be ads everywhere.  

Dude, oculus support has to be coded into the game. Facebook is already openly saying that they want to sell you ads with it. There's going to be ads everywhere.

If I make monitors, I dont get to pick what gets put on them.

I will bet that all that will happen is Facebook will make a VR app.

R.I.P

B4sNyLK.jpg

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

If I make monitors, I dont get to pick what gets put on them.

I will bet that all that will happen is Facebook will make a VR app.

Your analogy is wrong. Programs aren't coded to work with one specific monitor. Games have to be coded to work with one specific VR hardware, which is the Oculus Rift.

I can already imagine some kind of useless Facebook implementation while playing to always stay connected , you will be trying to play and you will have some weird "Share" button around and facebook ads in the menus and stuff. 

That's moronic.

It's more that the vision many potential customers had for Oculus, has been completely bastardised by Facebook's vision. Potentially in a number of years I can envisage an OS developed by Facebook for VR / Oculus, with integrated adverts, social media, casual games, appstore, you name it. Essentially a VR version of the mobile space right now.

Developing hardware for hardcore gamers is very different to developing hardware for the casual candy crush players. What direction, ultimately will Oculus now take, in your opinion? And will gaming companies now support the platform? Especially considering the almost universal condemnation this move has received from Gamers.

So while this is unsettling it might not be as bad as we think it is straight off the bat. Facebook has been trying to monetise for a while hence the ads however as far as I know they have not really had a hardware product. I mean there was the whole maybe a FB phone maybe not saga but there has not been a great product. remember they will be selling the rifts so it could and should work in the same way you would buy a phone or a tv or any product ever, I buy your stuff - it becomes my stuff.

Only time will tell if they can leave Oculus alone but with the backing and funding of an admittedly huge company. Its something to be watched closely. I am fine with some branding on the outside of the rift but please FB don't screw around with adverts a bit of integration is fine but no popup crap in the middle of star citizen.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

I just watched Barnacules vlog where he talks about this, and he states that he is concerned but hopeful that Facebook are going to let Oculus do it's own thing.
Now, for anyone here willing to share that same thought, I have this to ask you.

Why.

Why would Facebook sink all that money into a product to just allow it to bloom on it's own?

Facebook to date has never come across as a company that allows companies and products to fulfill their designs, at least, not without Facebook benefitting somehow.

That's my main point here, is that Facebook has something to gain from this, there is absolutely no way that Facebook dd this with intent to fund the development of Oculus Rift.

Also, just as a sidenote, even though I didn't back the Rift, I did back some other project, just one, and I would imagine how, just how absolutely batshit crazy people would get, if Star Citizen were to be signed to a publisher.

After being crowdfunded, it's kind of a kick in the teeth to all those who backed when they get bought by Facebook, at least, that's how I would feel if I had backed.

No it won't.

I have the feeling no one gets why Facebook does adverts in the first place.

They only do adds because it's a free platform just like Linus does on this forum or on Youtube.

Occulus costs a lot of money so it won't have adds just like any other thing that costs money, simple as that.

And Occulus will still be a Hardcore platform no matter what company buys it.

A casual audience won't buy VR.

Even the console audience will probably not buy Sonys version because they don't like to spend a lot of money on hardware.

Maybe they will release a $99 version of Occulus with adds but the full price version will have 100% no adds.

RTX2070OC 

No it won't.

I have the feeling no one gets why Facebook does adverts in the first place.

They only do adds because it's a free platform just like Linus does on this forum or on Youtube.

Occulus costs a lot of money so it won't have adds just like any other thing that costs money, simple as that.

And Occulus will still be a Hardcore platform no matter what company buys it.

A casual audience won't buy VR.

Even the console audience will probably not buy Sonys version because they don't like to spend a lot of money on hardware.

Maybe they will release a $99 version of Occulus with adds but the full price version will have 100% no adds.

I paid £400 for my phone. It comes with advertisements. I think you miss the point.

I paid £400 for my phone. It comes with advertisements. I think you miss the point.

Than you have a crappy phone because mine doesn't have adverts.

Free Apps have adds but not the phone itself.

And even the 99c apps don't have adds.

Games don't need adverts they have microtransactions.

Not even Free2Play games have adverts.

People are just overreacting like always.

Same as with Whats App...

RTX2070OC 

Than you have a crappy phone because mine doesn't have adverts.

Free Apps have adds but not the phone itself.

And even the 99c apps don't have adds.

Games don't need adverts they have microtransactions.

Not even Free2Play games have adverts.

People are just overreacting like always.

Same as with Whats App...

As standard it was an HTC One running android. I couldn't even install Adblock, and it constantly data mined what I was upto. I had to root my phone and install a new OS to crack down on its nefarious ways.

Whatsapp will in time, both track data and have targeted advertising. Same as what's about to happen with Instagram. What will happen with Oculus? It'll probably be fine for gaming for the first few years after release. A few iterations later and it'll be a different story.

22 pages of mostly "F*** NO!".. Wow..  :o

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

i hope all the employees got a few million, because oculus is going bankrupt

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Same team working on it still. but fuck that sshit man! why facebook, saying that, im glad its no fucking EA

Same team working on it still. but fuck that sshit man! why facebook, saying that, im glad its no fucking EA

Or Microsoft.

Than it would be Windows 8 and XboxOne exclusive and will only work with DirectX 12 lol.

Or Apple would have bought it and the cost would double and it would only work on Mac.

RTX2070OC 

I've trusted Luckley to do the right thing. He said he wants to change the world, the money changed his opinion really fast. Honestly I dont see why he would do this. If he delivered Rift he would have more money than God. This leads me to believe be lost faith in the project. They probbably wont be able to deliver it on their own. What a bunch of Oculus assholes.

Also I imagine how the kickstarter backers feel right now after Oculus betrayed them like this. This is really sad, I hope this is a joke, and it could be one as well.

Luckley you backstabbing bastard! Faith in humanity lost.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.