Facebook To Buy Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Gunzkewl

well there goes that, nice knowing ya oculus.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I'm going to have to put on my raincoat to survive the avalanche of vitriol coming my way but....

Called it! I knew this VR stuff was nothing but a trend, a fluff, a bubble, just another stupid gimmick for the casual crowd. I know lots of you, Linus and Luke included, were very exited about the prospect of VR but it was destined to end up in casuals land like all gimmicks. The fact that Sony is trying to get into should have given you a hint but this is a not so subtle indicator that the interest behind this is mass-appeal and fleeting.

Kudos to Oculus they made a pretty damn good buck on this and Facebook will turn this into another super fast bubble like Farmville or the Wii and it will be completely forgotten within 6 years or so, like Zyna, like King games, like the Wii, like all other gimmick based, short lived fads.

I don't see how the purchase itself is proof that VR is a gimmick. In fact, now it seems likely that we might never know for sure - FB might ruin it, the Rift might flop, and it'd probably do to VR what the Powerglove did to motion control for 20 years. 

Get your dirty hands off of Oculus Zuckerberg, I don't want to live in a world reigned by you.

144Hz goodness

:wacko: no pls 

tumblr_inline_mijov22HWI1qz4rgp.jpg

fractal define r4 - msi z77 mpower - i5 3570k 4.5ghz -alphacool water cooling+noctua -gtx 780ti-1323mhz-1.25v - corsair ax760i -vertex 4 120gb x2 - 840 evo 500gb - asus xonar dgx 

corsair k70 - logitech g502 - sennheiser game zero - logitech z906 5.1 -samsung 46" iiyama 27"144hz - http://gabegaming.com/

To all the twelve-year olds and drama llamas on this forum:

e172a3562b96ac7452856362c35fba3819af789e

Stop it. We have NO IDEA what will come as a result of this, but it's safe to say that Facebook will not be stupid about this.

I bet many of you are ones who were gleefully predicting the downfall of Facebook after the IPO, but you should really check the stock price. It's doing very well.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Sweet god, WHY!?

I mean i don't mind the team getting more money for a faster development, but if i'm reading this right, it's all aiming to be the Fahrenheit 451 scene, not to even mention the ENDLESS possibilities for money farming apps; add Whatsapp and you've gone full circle. THAT'S what really concerns me. 

I hope i'm wrong, but those previously mentioned points are something to be TOO careful about.

Oculus...why..... 

post-8530-0-21441500-1395785785.jpg

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

This makes so much sense!

Oh wait no I'm wrong.

Pilates

I hope GabeN doesn't make us deal with it. VALVE! PLEASE HELP!

post-35252-0-22611600-1395785840.jpeg

i9-6930X @ 5.3GHz | ASUS Z1007-A | 64TB G.Skill Ripjaw XIV 2400GHz RAM | GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900R

Corsair CX2500 W | 15TB WD Green | Noctua NH-D24

Why are you all so quick to judge? Why don't you at least wait to see what happens with this?

Facebook has a lot more money they Oculus VR ever did and therefore are able to inject a lotta money into the whole industry, bringing advancements in technology to everyone. This happened TODAY and already people are hating, you have no idea what Zuckerberg's plans are for this. They also have a lot of influence on everything that goes on socially in the world and they could tie that in with VR nicely.

I don't see Facebook injecting money and pushing VR in the gaming direction.

No! Nobody wants FarmVille 3d

Current PC: Chimera, Because AMD and Nvidia belong together

| CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 | Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256 GB SSD, 2x Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HDD | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB SC | Case: CM N600 | PSU: Corsair CX 600W(Overkill but I was originaly planning for a 970) | Moniter: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24" |

Left five, Don't cut, Be brave.

Guys we don't know what FB is actually planning to do. If something goes wrong we COMPLAIN about it. If fb doesn't do anything, well, let's just stop paying, stop advertising and simply stop using it for a month - when about a million do it, Facebook will react to it, the big problem though is if it busts, then it's over....

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Guys we don't know what FB is actually planning to do. If something goes wrong we COMPLAIN about it. If fb doesn't do anything, well, let's just stop paying, stop advertising and simply stop using it for a month - when about a million do it, Facebook will react to it, the big problem though is if it busts, then it's over....

your dead right, people have the power to cripple big business by simply boycotting until they change, unfortunately majority of people are weak willed pussies who couldn't care less and just let big business railroad them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Noooo why does Facebook have to ruin everything for everyone...

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I think the guys at Oculus have to have been smart enough to say, "Ok sure you can acquire us, but only if you let US do all of the work independently."............... I hope so. The money from Facebook is a huge boost but if they try to interfere with Oculus' work, shits going downhill.

Yes, and pigs fly... In a buyout, the buyer makes the rules.

Sure they can have specific agreements but those are subjected to changes later on, if the INVESTOR believes they are heading the company into the wrong direction.

If FB is smart they will let them do their thing so they can cash in later on, when the final product will reach the market.

But im sure FB didn't acquire Oculus just as an investor. They are probably thinking of some VR Facebook shit, where instead of poking our friends on FB, we will make them a VR Blow job or something.

Smart move from Oculus, 2 billion for a company which is 3 years old. They hit the jack pot with this one.

Im sure it was "Who pays the most", otherwise they could easily find other investors.

And that's how things work in a capitalist world, money can change opinions; personal values; principles etc.

Google wants to be The Internet King

Facebook wants to know what colour your shit was so they can share it with your friends

The only good thing Microsoft did in the past time was their new Windows Logo

Yahoo is still trying to find out how spam filters work

Apple is selling you the same hardware with new, fancy covers since 5 years now, the sad thing is they are still making profit.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

I'm gonna be waiting real hard this week for the WAN show, Linus is gonna piss all over fb

LMAO! This made my day. Best laugh ever

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

I really hope it's $2B cash, and not stock.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

LMAO! This made my day. Best laugh ever

i don't find this news to be funny dude...

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Administrators should allow the usage of the f word for this topic.  

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."