Facebook To Buy Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Gunzkewl

NONONONONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

WHY DO GOOD THINGS COME TO AN END.

This thought just occurred to me, how do the Kickstarter backers feel about this?

Pissed off.

At least ship the DK2 before selling out.

Creative Build Name Here

i7 3930K | Rampage IV Extreme | NH-U14S | GTX 680 x2 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Coolermaster 1000W | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Western Digital Black 2TB x2 | 12GB RAM Disk | HE-500 Headphones

All in the Fractal Design Define XL R2

Terrible news but in one way I see it as good oportunity. Why? Facebook probably wants to speed things up so that we get consumer version sooner. Remember Oculus was Hiring? Yup, that's what's up - moremoney, more engineers = faster developement.

The drawback:

1) We don't trust facebook's actions and we don't know what are they thinking. What if they screw it up?

2) If developement of that goes too fast, Oculus Rift headset might get too much "performance hungry" for gamers...

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

wow guys, way to represent the internet as NOT a bunch of kneejerk spastics.

John Carmak is still on the team and none of the original staff has been layed off yet, not to mention the fact that Oculus has been scrambling for funding through its whole development.

Now they can appeal to the whole board of Facebook investors and Facebook has never been a bad company in terms of technology, they just suck at privacy which as we all know we can easily control ourselves (hotspot shield anyone?)

Don't stop purchasing Oculus products because then VR really will die, just keep being loud about your concerns, Investors hate angry mobs.

You think just because his name is Carmak he's above a good ol' scheme to get rich? He'll likely laugh all the way to the fucking bank after stopping at the lambo dealership.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2200 users reading this topic :o

2052 user(s) are reading this topic
200 members, 1841 guests, 9 anonymous users
;o

Facebook-Sucks.jpg

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2052 user(s) are reading this topic
200 members, 1841 guests, 9 anonymous users
;o

It peaked at a little over 2,300 users. 

COMIC SANS

And it's ruined. Sony. The ball is in your park to acheive.

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

:(  :(  :(  :(  :(

| CPU: intel i7 3820 OC to 4GHZ with H100i cooling | Case: Enthoo Evolv ATX glass | Mobo: Asus P9X79 Socket-2011 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz 16GB | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X

| PSU: Silver power 750w plus silver | SSD: OCZ Agility 3, 240GB / Toshiba 500GB | Monitors: Dell U2713HM, Acer Predator 27" | Headset: Sennheiser HD650| Soundcard: Xonar Essence STX

what, in the world. does facebook. need oculus. what is the world coming too *drops to knees, flail arms about  and proceeds to cry in a corner*

CPU: i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Maximus V Extreme | Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengance Red 1866Mhz | GPU:Nvidia Geforce GTX 780 SLI | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 2x1TB Seagate barracuda in RAID 1 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: HAF X Nvidia Edition | Mouse: Corsair M95 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 | LG Blu-Ray Player | 27" 2560x1440p Shimian, Acer 1920x1080p | AKG K550 Headphones | Behringer MS40 Speakers

This is why we cant have nice things

FFS

"I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, I've been over the edge for yonks..."

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

Oh fuck come on!!

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming | Intel Core i5 7300HQ | 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GTX1050ti | Corsair Force LS 120GB | Crucial MX200 1TB | 6TB Seagate Barracuda

Acer 21" IPS | 15" in-built | Logitech MX Master | Das Keyboard 4C Ultimate | Windows 10 Pro

iPad Pro 10.5" 2017 | A10X | 4GB | 64GB | Silver | Silicone Cover

Huawei Mate 10 Pro | Kirin 970 | 6GB | 128GB | Mocha Brown | Dbrand Carbon Fibre Black Skin

Like how do we know if they didn't buy it like how would we know the casual who are the majority would buy it i couldn't see the majority putting something on their head to play a video game but who knows 

Well this weeks wan show is going to be intresting, slick rantage instead of linus rantage

it's gonna be from both! expect some harsh wording!

I nearly pre-ordered their V2 Set yesterday, I am now having second thoughts. I'm hoping Mr Facebook is wise enough to recognise its potential and only back it with is bathtubs of money. A man such as himself would lose whatever respect he has left if the killed the Oculus

Why are you all so quick to judge? Why don't you at least wait to see what happens with this?

Facebook has a lot more money they Oculus VR ever did and therefore are able to inject a lotta money into the whole industry, bringing advancements in technology to everyone. This happened TODAY and already people are hating, you have no idea what Zuckerberg's plans are for this. They also have a lot of influence on everything that goes on socially in the world and they could tie that in with VR nicely.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Good lord people, stop over-reacting.

Oculus kickstarted the race to decent Virtual Reality technology. Even if it were to fail itself it has already paved the path for others to follow - it's inevitable that we will have decent VR tech. Look at Sony's VR tech for crying out loud - the rumours currently circulating suggest that it's got a superior visual clarity and depth compared to any of the current iterations of the Rift.

I am quite sure that Oculus will continue unhindered by its acquisition by Facebook, and may in-fact benefit from it. Facebook is a very large and influential company - they would not purchase Oculus unless they were absolutely confident that its purchase would result in good PR and potentially money for their company. It is NOT in their interest to run it into the ground.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

If the Oculus Rift isn't how it was originally going to be like, and if Facebook have their name all over it I am sorry Oculus but I will have to make a pass on this, I was REALLY excited about the latest and greatest VR headset, but now the chances of this being any good are slim with Facebook in it...

Thank you Mark Suckerberg for ruining a good product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Xlp4JIa.png

CPU: i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Maximus V Extreme | Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengance Red 1866Mhz | GPU:Nvidia Geforce GTX 780 SLI | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 2x1TB Seagate barracuda in RAID 1 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: HAF X Nvidia Edition | Mouse: Corsair M95 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 | LG Blu-Ray Player | 27" 2560x1440p Shimian, Acer 1920x1080p | AKG K550 Headphones | Behringer MS40 Speakers

Mark Zuckerberg undergoes extensive cybernetic augmentation; changes name to Mk. II Zuckerborg.

Credit to Max Scoville

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Yay, Facebook acquisition :) Oh wait FACEBOOK! D: WHAT? <kill>Facebook</kill>