Facebook To Buy Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Gunzkewl

Or you just could go to a real farm.. 

*ehm*... I grew up on a real farm.. Sure it was nice.. But i like the digital one a lot more. Less smells and im not unloading and stacking hay bales until my arms are about to come off.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Guys, lets wait and see. I was mad and disappointed when it happened but maybe some good can come of it at the end, if not for Oculus directly than maybe for future independent VR. If they manage to stay open with their tech somehow, funding from facebook could result in development of new technology that will be better suited for VR than mobile tech ports. Just want to believe that their passion for virtual reality overcame basic human greed. There is a big chance I'm wrong on this since it is facebook but nothing to do but wait and complain for now.  :)

does the need for money mean that occulus is real close to production stage? 

if anything VR is now on the radar of people and people will take this seriously now. I still run into people who shrug VR headsets as silly little things that will never go anywhere. 

It isn't their services I am worried about. It's their ToS I am worried about.

The only ToS you can have for hardware is the patent. 

The friends you have on gaming sites are generally close friends that you won't mind knowing. FB is everyone you know, not just your close friends.

You got it backwards there hombre. 

The only ToS you can have for hardware is the patent. 

What about the software to run it?

You got it backwards there hombre. 

Backwards? Are you saying that you will mind your gaming friends knowing you're gaming but you won't mind everyone else on Facebook knowing?

Or are you just picking on the fact that I said close friends are on gaming sites, which may not be true for you or others (it is for me) but still has no relevance to the point of my statement which is you won't mind gaming friends knowing but you might mind everyone else you have friend-ed on FB knowing.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Backwards? Are you saying that you will mind your gaming friends knowing you're gaming but you won't mind everyone else on Facebook knowing?

Or are you just picking on the fact that I said close friends are on gaming sites, which may not be true for you or others (it is for me) but still has no relevance to the point of my statement which is you won't mind gaming friends knowing but you might mind everyone else you have friend-ed on FB knowing.

I'm with you, I don't want my Facebook friends knowing what I'm playing..

The software to run it isn't Oculus' thing, they don't handle it, and there isn't any. It's a monitor, what are they going to do?

And I'm disagreeing with that idea that

'The friends you have on gaming sites are generally close friends' and 'FB is everyone you know, not just your close friends'. 

Who does that? Who just adds anyone?

The software to run it isn't Oculus' thing, they don't handle it, and there isn't any. It's a monitor, what are they going to do?

Its more than a monitor since it has motion control therefore making it an input device which could require software which could require acceptance of ToS. I am not saying it does. I am saying it could. Read part 7 of their terms of sale. http://www.oculusvr.com/terms-of-sale/

And I'm disagreeing with that idea that

'The friends you have on gaming sites are generally close friends' and 'FB is everyone you know, not just your close friends'. 

Who does that? Who just adds anyone?

Read my previous post.

I am not saying this is true for you but for a lot of people, when you go to school you have a lot of friends. As time goes by you realize they aren't the friends you thought they once were. Some people just don't hang out anymore, some people turn out to be dicks, some people you barely know but you thought you were friends because you hung out and got drunk together. Then time passes and you are suddenly left with a friends list full of people that are not not your friends but you certainly don't want to share everything with them.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Farming Simulator VR Edition confirmed?

as long as it's not FarmVille/other filthy casual games it can get my seal of approval. I can see farming simulator in virtual reality being quite immersive as long as it's still a simulator

Current PC: Chimera, Because AMD and Nvidia belong together

| CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 | Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256 GB SSD, 2x Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HDD | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB SC | Case: CM N600 | PSU: Corsair CX 600W(Overkill but I was originaly planning for a 970) | Moniter: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24" |

Left five, Don't cut, Be brave.

Or you just could go to a real farm.. 

But that would involve time and effort.  :P

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

That's why everyone is cancelling their pre-orders... 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

In an effort to stay relevant, Myspace purchases a Virtual Boy off eBay for $65
Manners Maketh Man

BjvFxFlCMAAVds6.jpg

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

Well, here's one time I'm glad I wasn't able to afford something, I'd be even MOAR 'miffed' had I actually given money to those sell outs or had the skills to have put my time into developing for those sellouts.

I mean, seriously.. why not Logitech or Razor or SOMEONE that's not utterly despised and just so... evil. $2BILLION? If you're gonna be sellouts, do you have to be so greedy, couldn't you have settled for a few million and let a semi decent company have it?

It's all the folks who've put their programming skills and such into it that I really feel for, their the ones who've been ripped off by this as they're the ones who made the product/platform worth so much.

Utter bastages!

SO, what VR headset can I look forward to now as I will NOT be buying a rift just life I use telegram now and not WhatsApp, use Twitter and not FB or G+!

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

It could be fantastic or horrific, but something better then oculus could come around too.

Things are going to be interesting. Was waiting for the Oculus Rift consumer version 1, but that doesn't exist now-so I'm going to wait it out. Only the Facebook Oculus Rift CV 1 will be available.

The enthusiasts have been wiped off the map now - no cool free VR programs for the Facebook Oculus Rift by the people for the people, money always comes first and the money lies with the masses.
What type of applications will the commercial developers will make for the masses? No idea.

Also-all the people stating that the consumer version will come out sooner, I don't think so - since they are planning on making 'custom' parts I do not expect them to be able to get it out for at least 2-3 years,so expect it at around late 2016-2017 instead of the 2015 date they had set.

Around 6 months to a year to get their new engineers up to speed and research, and another to find some factory to manufacture their product. Money does help speed things up, but not by as much as you think.

Things are going to be interesting. Was waiting for the Oculus Rift consumer version 1, but that doesn't exist now-so I'm going to wait it out. Only the Facebook Oculus Rift CV 1 will be available.

The enthusiasts have been wiped off the map now - no cool free VR programs for the Facebook Oculus Rift by the people for the people, money always comes first and the money lies with the masses.

What type of applications will the commercial developers will make for the masses? No idea.

Also-all the people stating that the consumer version will come out sooner, I don't think so - since they are planning on making 'custom' parts I do not expect them to be able to get it out for at least 2-3 years,so expect it at around late 2016-2017 instead of the 2015 date they had set.

Around 6 months to a year to get their new engineers up to speed and research, and another to find some factory to manufacture their product. Money does help speed things up, but not by as much as you think.

What? There will still be the exact same programs on the device, facebook purchasing Oculus won't change that.

At release this is going to be a very enthusiast level product. I mean its going to have a greater than 1080p res, 90Hz refresh for the best experience and more. The "masses" probably won't be able to push that sort of hardware.

Thats very high specs, Its not suddenly become an entirely different product.

Its been stated that the internal Roadmap is entirely the same, so the end of 2015 date at the latest they specified is still true from what we know. Pushing it back to 2016/17 would just be stupid at this point.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Except Facebook itself. In case you use it, can you tell me when was the last time you used it for something social that is not Candy Crush or other game related thing? 

Lel... I use it everyday to conact people/friends , to see what party's are nearby and check in , I'm still in highschool and we have a classgroup and it's easy to share homework , it's a good social platform to share pictures etc , okay the ads suck and messaging is kind of broken but other then  that there's no beter replacement... More people use it then you have hair on your body

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

What? There will still be the exact same programs on the device, facebook purchasing Oculus won't change that.

At release this is going to be a very enthusiast level product. I mean its going to have a greater than 1080p res, 90Hz refresh for the best experience and more. The "masses" probably won't be able to push that sort of hardware.

Thats very high specs, Its not suddenly become an entirely different product.

Its been stated that the internal Roadmap is entirely the same, so the end of 2015 date at the latest they specified is still true from what we know. Pushing it back to 2016/17 would just be stupid at this point.

You are correct in that people who bought the F.O.R will be provided the same hardware. I don't know how enthusiastic the tech crowd is about them now though, 

here is a quote by them

We assumed that the reaction would be negative, especially from our core community.

(source:http://thesurge.net/oculus-said-they-didnt-expect-such-negative-reactions-to-facebook-buying-them/ ).

There are going to be a lot of people buying it because of Facebook logo attached to it now, trying it out with their old laptops-not sure how they will advertise it though.

But we will have to see and wait, still-good for VR,bad for their branding. It's going to  be quite a battle to see,looking forward to more info.

Let the VR wars begin.