Facebook To Buy Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Gunzkewl

Break-up songs anyone? I'm listening to katy perry "the one that got away" *on the top forty's with linus woo!* (still listen to things other than mainstream, depending if i like) I think it fits the topic perfectly. I know I know, I always sort of go off topic but hey, tried to link to topic : ) I'm just really sad right now. Ads confirmed.

Some very sad metal, corelia.

Excerpt of lyrics:

Leave, leave me here 

For the grievous faults 

That have fractured my past 

I would do the same for you 

(We wouldn't want you) 

I was to be a legend 

(To be a victim in it's stead) 

But now I am a victim in it's stead 

I hear the titans mocking me 

Waiting in desperation 

Stars are gazing on 

Dishonest confessions 

Sailing the seas of nostalgia's 

Revery to send 

My donations to the cosmos afar 

I could not have known 

I would end up down here 

So alone, can't stay here any longer 

I know. 

Can't you see it in the dark? 

I've grown so cold.. 

I honestly believe this is what oculus rift will be saying inside ... It all just fits 100% perfectly.

"I was to be a legend". Well it would've been.

" I hear the titans mocking me". There goes Sony with their VR stuff.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Oh my god...

[

Lol look what I spotted: 

---Picture---

Ahahaha! That is absolutely fantastic  :D

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Oculus VR is officially dead to me now.

What the hell does FB want with it anyway control our virtual internet strolling?

And how the F**** is this only 2billion and F***** what's app 10x as much???? I don't get it?

ALL HANDS ABANDON SHIP!

I'm kinda sad about this. I mean facebook hasn't really acquired anything yet that they've dumbed down and ruined (aside from facebook), but now Oculus has shareholders to appease

Nooooooooooooooo!!!

This has just reduced the likelyhood of me purchasing an Oculus Rift (I was seriously thinking about getting the DK2) in the future.

Why why why, WHY, does Facebook need to acquire everything? I don't want to get an Oculus, start up a game or whatever, and have freakin' social media appearing on my god damn screen or have my gaming experience in any way controlled or driven by it! I hate social media, the likes of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.

The irony here, however, is that I found out about this by checking my Facebook..........

"We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this." - Mark Zukerberg

I sure hope this is true

FB will probably try to buy Logitech now; all of the peripherals will stop working when you get a friend request, jump when you get a message, and shock you when you get a general notification.

i was looking forward to oculus looks like im not getting one  unless its amazing . but why not google they have the cameras to go with the oculs 

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

That's it Oculus VR is officially dead to me now.

What does FB need this for anyway? I know I know it's in the article but it's stupid!

And how the F*** is this only 2billion and F****** What's App is 10x as much? I don't get it.

ALL HANDS ABANDON SHIP!

I'm gonna get myself a twitter acc now just to tell Zuckerberg what's what!

I sure hope this is true

Except he confirmed virtual purchases and ads in oculus... so uhhh yeah.... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

First song I fired up after checking the date -

Tears of vomit.

Ahh I remember this youtube channel... good stuff.... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Let me get this straight. WhatsApp, a messenging application, is worth $19B to facebook, but Oculus, a company at the forefront of a new and revolutionary industry, is worth only $2B?

I can't believe that Oculus let itself be bought in the first place.

@Slick must be devastated... :(

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Honestly i think the ceo of facebook was just like "thats cool, i want it"

Current: CPU: Intel i7-8700k. Mobo: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5. RAM: 16gb G Skill Trident Z RGB. GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super.

First: CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.5GHz. Mobo: Asus ROG crosshair V formula-Z. RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper XTreme. GPU: Asus Radeon 7950.

This is the WORST NEWS EVER.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | MB: Asus P8Z77-V PRO | GPU: x1 Asus DirectCU II OC GTX 680 (2GB) | CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k | RAM: 32GB 8x4 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | PSU: Corsair TX 750W | Sound Card: Sound Blaster Zx | SSD: Intel 520 Series 180GB (Boot & Windows) | HDD: WD Green 2TB (Steam), Samsung HD501LJ 500GB (Storage), External Seagate 500 GB (Storage) External WD 1TB (Storage) | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | MonitorLG IPS 24" 1080p | Keyboard: CMStorm Quickfire TK Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Performance | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50 | Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II, Roth Oli POWA-5 Black | Microphone: Samson Q1U | Mobile Device: Samsung Galaxy S6 Sapphire Black (32GB) | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" (32GB) | Notebook: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 | Steam: 4500+ Games

Steam | Twitter | Twitch

there are no words, no words to describe the horror

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Just a few quotes from Palmer that, to me atleast, make this more like what I wanted. ( Injected cash, but no real change to the company).

I guarantee that you won't need to log into your Facebook account every time you wanna use the Oculus Rift.

None of that will change. Oculus continues to operate independently! We are going to remain as indie/developer/enthusiast friendly as we have always been, if not more so. This deal lets us dedicate a lot of resources to developer relations, technical help, engine optimizations, and our content investment/publishing/sales platform. We are not going to track you, flash ads at you, or do anything invasive.

This acquisition/partnership gives us more control of our destiny, not less! We don't have to compromise on anything, and can afford to make decisions that are right for the future of virtual reality, not our current revenue. 

I'm just pulling these from Palmer's reddit acc here.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

:blink:

I have no idea what a company like Facebook would do with Oculus... Second Life - FB edition? 

Ads... ads everywhere.... virtual purchases....