Facebook To Buy Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Gunzkewl

Ha, as if many facebook users could even render oculus rift at an acceptable framerate.

i see this as a good thing, VR is going to get widespread exposure and help change the world. 

Oculus would not fork over their work for cash, they are in it as enthusiasts/gamers. 

Oh great, just what I wanted! Facebook to use advanced 3D technology to push more stupid ads for dating Asian women into my face. Maybe I can also share what I am watching with all my friends, and the NSA as well.

Thanks a lot Facebook for ruining something I was looking forward to.

post-216-0-80288800-1395789801.gif

The guy who invents adblock for the commercial release of the Oculus rift will be a millionaire.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

So upset now don't know what to think i pre ordered a DK2 and now am just praying that maybe Valve might move forward with there research and bring that to market.

Intel 4790k • Asus Z97-A • Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce • G.Skill 1866 4GBx2 • Corsair HX850W PSU • Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler • Intel 530 120GB SSD(OS) • 1TB HDD(Games) • Cooler Master HAF 912 • Logitech G15 Key • Razer Abyssus Mouse • Asus 24in 144hz VG248QE

Does it not sadden anyone that John Carmack left id Software, to join Facebook....

Oh god why

Steam: gray_fox_br

-snip-

Just hopping that they provide funding and stay away from the actual headset. I don't won't Facebook popups when playing an immersive game. My hopes are now with Valve and Sony.

tumblr_mg86fwGwkD1r2fokuo1_500.gif

Hell no. You will see "5%" ads when gaming.

Intel Core i5 3570K@4.5GHz | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | 2*TEAM 8GB DDR3-1600@CL9-9-9-27 | Inno3D GTX 660 HerculeZ 2000s@1200MHz Core 6600MHz Memory | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Antec Kühler H2O 620 | Antec HCG-620 | CoolerMaster Elite 371

Acer Iconia W700: Intel Core i5 3337U | 4GB DDR3 | 120GB SSD | 11.6" 1080p Display

facebook acquires occulus....

..... Thanks Obama

bahahahaha. I'm thinking the crew at Oculus saw their Get out of Debt free card and grabbed it while it was still good. The odds that the Rift was going to be any sort of commercial success were extremely slim, if we're honest.

Good for them, tough luck for the community.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

All of the moisture in my body would be insufficient for the amount of tears I want to shed.

To be clear, I don't think this will effect Oculus for the next few years, but further down the line, when we're actually invested in the platform, Facebook (just like most other big companies) is going to slowly fuck up everything we love about it.

Fuck you Zuckerberg.

I would be fuming right now if I was a Kickstarter backer.

R.I.P Oculus, you will be missed my love. This is how Oculus will be in 2 years time:

fig-1.jpg

-Turkey with a vengeance 

And the best part is seeing this on facebook and ppl crying there ahh ppl

[I will never die.]

Oh great, just what I wanted! Facebook to use advanced 3D technology to push more stupid ads for dating Asian women into my face. Maybe I can also share what I am watching with all my friends, and the NSA as well.

Thanks a lot Facebook for ruining something I was looking forward to.

Just hopping that they provide funding and stay away from the actual headset. I don't won't Facebook popups when playing an immersive game. My hopes are now with Valve and Sony.

@ Nope... Mark talked about virtual purchases and ads in the engadget article. 

CvhU01W.gif

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

The amount of salt in the upcomming wan show will be so high, or not, I dont know.

Linus and Slick have been in the tech industry long enough to know how these sort of things work.

Stop becoming emotionally invested in brands and businesses.

Sad day indeed, what a shame. Maybe just maybe something good could come of this but highly doubt it.

Once I got past the initial disgust that it was Facebook that bought Oculus, I actually really don't mind this too much, mainly do Zuckerberg's  quote:

After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

Why do I say this? Well, its due to the fact that it reminded me of one of the more interesting VR applications, that I've heard of so far, which is VR sports. Basically , the idea was that caeras would be set up al around a sports areana, such as a hockey rink, and it would allow the VR user to get an Experience of watching the game from the field itself, or the rink. Though I found it really interesting, and I bet many other sports fans would as well. The only problem with this would be that I doubt that Oculus on there own would be able to raise the money the implement this, though with the cash of facebook behind them, hey might be able to.

Basically, if you don't care about that idea I put forward, the size and more importantly, cash reserves of Facebook, will (hopefully) help push the Rift as a mainstream product, and hopefully increase the amount of games, and other entertainment products developed for the Rift

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

It is an acquisition, but we will be operating independently. Our ongoing relationship really is more like a partnership.

If that is true, great. Oculus has a huge cash injection, and access to the FB help with Advertising/Legal/Distribution and more.

It could speed up the whole operation, and give more money for R&D and new technology.

The problem is that it makes people stop trusting them.

Even my Dad refuses to use the facebook android app as its crazy the amount of data it wants. He uses the actual service only to keep in contact with old friends.

There will now be those who refuse to buy on the principle that its facebook, and those that will simply not trust Oculus at all.

They've managed to make it both easier and harder for themselves at the same time.

Personally, I'm holding out that Palmer, Nate and all the rest of the team carry on with there vision, and they truly think that this will allow them to get VR to the masses in the best possible way.

That said, If there is any "Hey Sign in here", or "well your data will be used for ads and this and that" or core features being marketed as extras now, then I'm out.

I'm excited for VR, but I'll wait for Valve or Sony if I have to, but I would really really like it to be Oculus.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I almost cried :"(  whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  :wacko:

Someone please start a petition or something to stop this... I don't want  to only play Farmville on my Oculus

Ewwwwwwwww

It's 400M cash and the rest in Facebook stock.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Letter from Brendan

Just why Facebook?

Why not like, you know, anyone else on the planet?

Valve/AMD/Nvidia/Any of the game devs, yes including EA/Sony/Microsoft.

It just doesn't make sense.

I think EA would've been worse  :blink:.

@ Nope... Mark talked about virtual purchases and ads in the engadget article. 

Dammit. We'll just have to ask Valve nicely. 

2623_925c.gif