Upgrading Graphics Card

Hi all!

Wish you all have a great day or at any time when you stumble upon this discussion :)

On with it! I have a rig from 2010, it has a Core 2 Quad Q9650 and 4GB of RAM all on a Asus P5KPL-AM SE motherboard. I want to upgrade its video card to the latest  ones, or buy a video card first just to play some recent titles at mid-high settings for now and then transfer it to another build later. The current video card is GT240 1GD5, and the gaming experience is very low detail at best with my 1600*900 monitor :/ I don't have the budget to build a completely new computer for now. I saw multiple videos about GTX 750 and 750Ti, the performance is "solid," but can I  buy even higher grade video card for now and buy the other components later on? Can I get a 760, 270x, or even 770 or 280x to go with my processor and RAM?

Sorry this is kind of all over the place, but I really like to hear from other people before doing anything, thanks! Oh I also like to be able to game the earlier the better :D

Thanks!

I would agree GTX 750Ti would be the best option at the moment. Although maybe a GTX 760 if you are upgrading the computer soon and really can't wait until then for a new GPU.

750Ti would be your best option.

Although 750ti can be the best option for my old rig, I'm a little afraid it will be like the 240 I have right now after 2 years or so... but thanks!

You can get a higher end GPU so it lasts you a longer time but that depends on your PSU. If your PSU is around 450w to 500w with the right power connector for GPU then it will handle a decent GPU like R9 270. The Q9650 is still decent and might show a little bottleneck but not severe if you plan on getting a good GPU.

I have a stock q9650 and it's about as strong as an ivy bridge I3 and it used to have a 680 and a GTX 590 and it wasn't that bad of a bottleneck, just a bit but not much. You can go with something like a 770/280X/280 and it will do fine in-terms of bottleneck and performance. 

You can get a higher end GPU so it lasts you a longer time but that depends on your PSU. If your PSU is around 450w to 500w with the right power connector for GPU then it will handle a decent GPU like R9 270. The Q9650 is still decent and might show a little bottleneck but not severe if you plan on getting a good GPU.

A lot of sites recommend 600W for R9 270 :/ but I can manage 500 watt, hopefully 600w PSU if budget allows

Although 750ti can be the best option for my old rig, I'm a little afraid it will be like the 240 I have right now after 2 years or so... but thanks!

So would the 270X.....

A lot of sites recommend 600W for R9 270 :/ but I can manage 500 watt, hopefully 600w PSU if budget allows

The recommend watts from the manufacturer on sites are suggesting high watts sometimes. You should go to pcpartpicker and picked your components, and at the top right corner it calculates your total watts.

R9 260x, has mantle so if you wanna play mantle games you get a huge boost

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

Hi all!

Wish you all have a great day or at any time when you stumble upon this discussion :)

On with it! I have a rig from 2010, it has a Core 2 Quad Q9650 and 4GB of RAM all on a Asus P5KPL-AM SE motherboard. I want to upgrade its video card to the latest  ones, or buy a video card first just to play some recent titles at mid-high settings for now and then transfer it to another build later. The current video card is GT240 1GD5, and the gaming experience is very low detail at best with my 1600*900 monitor :/ I don't have the budget to build a completely new computer for now. I saw multiple videos about GTX 750 and 750Ti, the performance is "solid," but can I  buy even higher grade video card for now and buy the other components later on? Can I get a 760, 270x, or even 770 or 280x to go with my processor and RAM?

Sorry this is kind of all over the place, but I really like to hear from other people before doing anything, thanks! Oh I also like to be able to game the earlier the better :D

Thanks!

I'm just rather curious, was this a prebuilt system by HP, Dell or some other manufacturer?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I'm just rather curious, was this a prebuilt system by HP, Dell or some other manufacturer?

Prebuilt by manufaturer? no, the computer parts were picked by my family, it used to be my family PC

Prebuilt by manufaturer? no, the computer parts were picked by my family, it used to be my family PC

Okay, good to know. It's always best to go the custom built route for any desktop PC, I know that a lot of members on here would agree with me.

Nvidia is expected to announce Maxwell full series (800 series). I would wait. But the 750Ti looks like a great option, and will allow you to keep it when you'll upgrade your CPU, if it is in your plans in the coming 1-2, possibly even 3 years.

Nvidia is expected to announce Maxwell full series (800 series). I would wait. But the 750Ti looks like a great option, and will allow you to keep it when you'll upgrade your CPU, if it is in your plans in the coming 1-2, possibly even 3 years.

Where did you get this info from about the GTX 800 series. I googled it but I can't seem to find anything.

I'm hoping to swap out the GTX 760 that I have for my build for this year or next for the GTX 860.

Where did you get this info from about the GTX 800 series. I googled it but I can't seem to find anything.

Tomorrow is Nvidia GTC. http://www.gputechconf.com/page/home.html

Rumors suggests that Nvidia will reveal the new GPU. Nvidia road-map says early 2014 for Maxwell. So it would make sense to be released then.

Tomorrow is Nvidia GTC. http://www.gputechconf.com/page/home.htmlRumors suggests that Nvidia will reveal the new GPU. Nvidia road-map says early 2014 for Maxwell. So it would make sense to be released then.

Ah, thanks mate! You're awesome!

Agree gtx 750ti would be a great option.