Dead Pixels

MrSwier

What causes them?

CPU:4770k  Motherboard:Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero  RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance  GPU:MSI GeForce GTX 780 OC 6GB  CaseFractal Design Define R4 (Blackout Edition)  Storage:Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB WD Caviar Black PSU:Corsair RM 850  Display(s):BenQ 24" GL2450-B  Cooling:Corsair H75  Keyboard:Compaq (Generic)  Mouse:G500

Linus made a video on it a while back, I could write a paragraph on it but watching a video in my opinion is more enjoyable.

They are a several reason why a dead/stuck/bright pixel can occur.

Before I start, here is how an LCD panel works (watch video, else you won't understand what I am talking about):

First, it can be the sub-pixel electrodes that breaks, and is stuck on giving current or not. Depending on this (if it's stuck on: On or Off), you will get either a white or a color (is ones of the sub pixel electrode is stuck) or black pixel. Black does not necessarily mean it's stuck on "Off" state. It depends on how the panel type (TN, *VA, or IPS), as they work differently.

Second, it can be just the LCD liquid of a pixel, or sub pixel, that simply gets stuck into a position. Usually you can unstuck them following what the Linux video says. Usually higher grade monitors you have less chances that this occurs. Please note the keywords: less chances. It still occurs, but unusual.

Third, you can have a simple contaminant that entered the panel layers. This is rare, but can occur.

And of course, something could be wrong in any level of the circuit inside the monitor.

Thank guys. :)

CPU:4770k  Motherboard:Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero  RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance  GPU:MSI GeForce GTX 780 OC 6GB  CaseFractal Design Define R4 (Blackout Edition)  Storage:Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB WD Caviar Black PSU:Corsair RM 850  Display(s):BenQ 24" GL2450-B  Cooling:Corsair H75  Keyboard:Compaq (Generic)  Mouse:G500

• 4 weeks later...

No problem, glad I could help, and a thanks to GoodBytes, I too learned from your video as well.