Shoot 1080p export 4k?

i was just wondering if i was to shoot video with my 1080p camera and export in 4k after editing will there be any difference?

No point to it, your file will be bigger but there won't be any difference in quality.

Core i7 2600  Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3  EVGA GTX 970 FTW  16Gb 1600Mhz G.SKILL

Samsung 500Gb 840EVO RAID0 Random 80GB HDD Corsair GS700 Corsair ArticWhite C70

Probably not. Unless it goes through some sort of compression like Youtube. 

Yes there will be a HUGE drop in quality if you blow it up, especially to 4K which is 4 times 1080P's resolution.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Yes there will be a HUGE drop in quality if you blow it up, especially to 4K which is 4 times 1080P's resolution.

He is saying recording in 1080p---->rendering in 4k------>watch on 1080p screen

Depends if you're uploading it online let's say on YouTube.

YouTube's compression system loves pooping on videos.

Just export it in 1080p.

I knew someone once that told me their video was HD and it looked great because he rendered it in 720p. Let's just say it looked like a distorted VHS tape.

4K is twice the resolution of 1080p and four times the pixels.

Your video quality is only ever going to be as good as the raw product, which is the quality you shot (1080p). If you blow it up, it will give you a larger file size and a larger resolution. But it will only ever have 1080p quality, so the higher resolution really doesn't mean anything.

He is saying recording in 1080p---->rendering in 4k------>watch on 1080p screen

right. Then it'll look fine, but there's no advantage. also, harder to play back and render.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Your video quality is only ever going to be as good as the raw product, which is the quality you shot (1080p). If you blow it up, it will give you a larger file size and a larger resolution. But it will only ever have 1080p quality, so the higher resolution really doesn't mean anything.

This ^. There's no point in doing it at all. It'd be like taking a standard definition video with a resolution of 1024 x 576 and then rendering it out to 1080p. No matter what higher resolution you export it as the quality won't look any better. What it is natively recorded in it will only ever stay that quality. Believe me, I've done this with some old SD videos, there was absolutely no discernible difference in quality.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

If you are uploading to YouTube, then up scaling your footage to 4k or 1440p is actually of benefit. When playing YouTube above 1080p it uses a much higher bitrate than at lower resolutions therefore your footage will appear much clearer than when using YouTube 1080p settings.

However it takes AGES to upscale even a small size video and it takes up an extraordinary amount of storage, A 5 minutes video will take a few hours to render out, and will take up like 60gb. 

If you do upscale to 4k, what you can do is then convert the video using handbrake to get the file size as low as possible for uploading - otherwise you have to upload a ludicrously large file.

Frankly this only makes sense for YouTube (and even then the time vs performance isnt really worth it) for normal playback it makes literally no difference keeping it native 1080p will be easier and look better.

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii