Computer doesn't start.

Kejsare102

My friend recently built his first computer. When he started it for the first time it didn't work. The LED's and fans turns on for like, half a second but then everything dies.

We've already made sure that all of the cables are plugged in correctly and we've tested his RAM sticks. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Start up with as minimal components as possible, one ram-stick, no videocard (if onboard is available) only the boot-drive etc. and and check all the power connectors.

also could you post all specs, especially the PSU with brand and wattage :)

i5 2500K - Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 - G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB- Asus GTX660 Ti - Crucial M4 256Gb

He tried with one ram stick and he's checked all the power connectors. I don't know all his specs right now but his PSU is a Corsair CX750.

Since there's no post at all, first thing that popped into my head was dead motherboard, but it could be other problems. You sure the 6/8 pin cpu is in correctly and not like a pci-e connector instead.

CASE: Haf 912+ CPU: i5 3570k - 4.2ghz COOLER: Hyper 212 evo MOBO: Gigabyte GA-z77x-UD5H GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Hawk RAM: Corsair xms3 4x2gb SSD: Crucial m4 64gb HDD: 2x1tb+250gb hdd SOUND: Asus Xonar dg HEADSET: Steelseries Siberia v2

Raspberry Pi XBMC

I have a feeling that it's the motherboard as well. All the cables are plugged in correctly.

If it is more modern system, he should be able to test post with just the board and cpu. Don't need ram, hard drive, etc. Should at least post...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

This happened with my first build, turned out the BIOS on the motherboard was too old for the CPU I had in it. It started up for a second, lights and fans came on but then it all just shut off.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

We found the problem. It was the motherboard. Turns out he had installed it in his case without standoffs.

We found the problem. It was the motherboard. Turns out he had installed it in his case without standoffs.
Just what I came here to say! Happened to me once :D

I'll have to keep this in mind.

It generally has something to do with the seating of something; motherboard seating, CPU Cooler seating, etc.

I'll try to remember this for the next person :)

Did he short circuit the mobo or did it work after installing standoffs?

• i5 3570k @ 4.6ghz
  • Gigabyte z77
  • 8gb Corsair Vengeance
  • Galaxy GTX 670 OC
  • 120gb Patriot Pyro SE
  • 2TB WD Green

He did short circuit the motherboard' date=' yes.[/quote']

He won't do that again in a hurry..

He did short circuit the motherboard' date=' yes.[/quote']

He won't do that again in a hurry..

Just found out that it wasn't xD. He tried it on the motherboard box this morning and apparently it worked then.

But anyways. It was his first time building a computer, so you can't really blame him.

That is an expensive problem

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE