Dev C++ Font/Letter Spacing Oddities

N3rot0xin

Ive got an oldddd laptop sitting around, running Windows XP. It doesn't have much life left, so I figured I'd turn it into a programming machine since id like to get back into programming. However, I've encountered a rather annoying little problem. The best way I can describe it is font spacing between letters is not uniform. Other then that, I don't know of any other way to describe the issue so i'll just show you this picture. I've tried every option in the Tools -> Editor settings to no avail. 

post-4288-0-10576000-1395470065.jpg

I am whatever I am. 

I think XP had a setting for text size somewhere in the control panel. Might poke around there and look?

I think XP had a setting for text size somewhere in the control panel. Might poke around there and look?

Well it only happens in Dev C++ so i dont think its a windows XP setting. I might just install something like visual studio express since it will probably work better. (or not, i think the newest visual studio express is resource heavy for an older machine). I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue or know what the root cause of it is. 

I am whatever I am. 

Visual Studio is the best environment on Windows, but it is quite resource heavy. 

I'd check out Code::Blocks

main(i){for(;i<101;i++)printf("Fizz\n\0Fizzz\bBuzz\n\0%d\n"+(!(i%5)^!!(i%3)*3)*6,i);}

• 4 years later...

i was having this trouble too and i found the solution.

first set:

tools- editor options-fonts (set your desired font)

and then:

go to tools-colors

you will see an option bottom-left "bold" - "italic" and "underlined". choose bold and apply.

your cursor will do weird stuff from now on. to fix it, simply go back to colors and uncheck the bold option.

and there you go. you have no spaces between letters. i think this is some kind of bug.

but after all this, you cant change the font size by small numbers, but you have to change the size in bigger numbers.

for example: if you want to change size to 12 from 8. you cannot see any difference. but if you change it to 18 you can see a difference.

hope someone with the same issue sees this and get it fixed.

On 3/23/2014 at 3:39 AM, N3rot0xin said:

Well it only happens in Dev C++ so i dont think its a windows XP setting. I might just install something like visual studio express since it will probably work better. (or not, i think the newest visual studio express is resource heavy for an older machine). I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue or know what the root cause of it is. 

Another person seems to have answered your question but Visual Studio Code uses a install what you need model whereas Visual Studio goes with the provide everything approach. If you do decide you want a different IDE try Code, it's a lot more lightweight (you install the c++ compiler, c++ version of intellisense etc). The experiance isn't thaaat different, for code that doesn't make use of the features in VS I use VS Code.