Wifi extender

DyGr00339

My father bought a wifi extender a while back for our house and I am looking to purchase one myself now what it does is  takes the wifi router signal and boosts it and i'm wondering if i should buy one or just a better wifi card (currently running through usb)

it depends how far away you are from your wireless router?

id say 10 meters but will likely be moving soon so i dont know there likely even further

to be honest i think your better off with a better wifi card, there is a wifi extender in my house the router is in the basement and the only time ive noticed the extender is when im on the very top floor. if your really unsure though maybe wait and see how your connection fairs once you move.

you could get a PCIe card, the new ASUS card is great and was released at CES

you could get a PCIe card, the new ASUS card is great and was released at CES

It is pricey my friend

Pick Up a wrt54gl on ebay for $10 and flash it with dd-wrt. You can set it up as an extender but I prefer client bridged mode.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

client bridged mode he would have to have ethernet plugged in but it would be preferable. The problems with extenders are they plit your network up into 2 segments. What this means is lets say you have 2 pcs 1 connected to the router (A) and one to the extender (B) you can access pc B from Pc A but you cannot acces A from B. Also an extender if less than 60 ft away will have to be a diffrent network name or it will overlap and cause problems with your pc or device i went to school for CS with a emphasis on networking and worked as a network admin for many years and can tell you first hand those things are nothing but crappy marketing ploys they are horrible. If i were you id run a cable drop and hardline into your desktop if you have a laptop or need wifi as well run a cable drop to a transparent access point which you could also use a wrt54g with ddwrt for that and make sure that dhcp server is off so all is one network.

client bridged mode he would have to have ethernet plugged in but it would be preferable. The problems with extenders are they plit your network up into 2 segments. What this means is lets say you have 2 pcs 1 connected to the router (A) and one to the extender ( B) you can access pc B from Pc A but you cannot acces A from B. Also an extender if less than 60 ft away will have to be a diffrent network name or it will overlap and cause problems with your pc or device i went to school for CS with a emphasis on networking and worked as a network admin for many years and can tell you first hand those things are nothing but crappy marketing ploys they are horrible. If i were you id run a cable drop and hardline into your desktop if you have a laptop or need wifi as well run a cable drop to a transparent access point which you could also use a wrt54g with ddwrt for that and make sure that dhcp server is off so all is one network.

Umm.... I have no clue what I just read