By 2015, do you think that this monitor is possible?

DanielTheBest

By 2015, do you think that companies will be selling 1080p monitors that have high refresh rates, such as 120hz, have low response times, such as 3 ms, and are IPS? 

I am planning to get an awesome computer around that time, and I'm wondering if they'll have those types of monitors by the time I get it. 

I dont think 120hz IPS will be popular by then, it will be like 1440p 120hz ips.

Diamond 5 in League :)

As far as I know, IPS tech is physically not fast enough to switch 120 times a second.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't think so, such high frequency cannot be achieved because the way the panel is made, maybe going for something like OLED, where the color is just as great as IPS, but the frequency and response time can be better, is a realistic scenario.

I like to think 1080p will be relevant until 2016. I don't think what you wanted will ever be made.

I don't think so, such high frequency cannot be achieved because the way the panel is made, maybe going for something like OLED, where the color is just as great as IPS, but the frequency and response time can be better, is a realistic scenario.

Or PLS just like the Korean monitors.

Not on IPS I don't think so. We might have another type of panel that produces decent colour quality and is 10 bit colour with wide colour gamut by the time 2015 rolls around but it doesn't look like IPS is going to get down to the switching speed on its pixels necessary to support this.

But by 2015 we might see true 8 bit TN panels with wider gamuts than today, if they did at least pointer's gamut they would look pretty decent. We might even start to see laser based panels that support rec 2020 which will be better than IPS or anything else you can get today. Going from 30(sRGB)-45% (adobe) of human visible colours to 80% will make a huge difference. Its a standard that comes along with 4k so I really hope we see it take off not just in a few expensive TVs but on a broad range of monitors. Its about the best we can do with 3 colour channels and they already have a way to start doing it.