Need "Future proof" case (NZXT Phantom 820?)

pete224

Has anyone either had experience with the NZXT Phantom 820 or can suggest a similar/better case for a similar/cheaper price.

I was recently looking to upgrade my CPU, however my current CPU cooler is not compatible with the CPU I want. I thought I would buy a H100 or Kraken x60, but it isn't compatible with my case :(.

Long story short I want to by a new case before buying a new CPU and a H100 or Kraken x60 (and RAM and motherboard because I'm still on LGA775 :(). I want to able to keep the case for a number of builds rather than buying one for this build and another for my next build and the next build etc.

I want it to fit watercooling as well as be good for air cooling. I have been looking at the NZXT Phantom 820 the most because it has plenty of room for watercooling equipment and can fit a number of different sized radiators (2x280 or 360+280 or 360+240) which allows me to add the hardware when and if I need to. It also seems to have good airflow, nice lighting affects built-in, air filters, removable hard drive cages, good cable management options, nice design and as mentioned before, lots of fan options.

I was just wondering if anyone on the forum either has experience with the NZXT Phantom 820 or can suggest a similar/better case for a similar/cheaper price.

P.S.

I'm asking you guys because I've suggest that I may buy this case to friends and they thought it was too much money for something that I don't need yet. I of course said that if I buy a case for a number of builds, rather than for each build that I do, I will save money in the long run ... they didn't quite catch on to that idea :confused: but nevermind.

They also suggested that a better case can be bought for cheaper which is why I am here, as I can't seem to find one :p

Also Switch 810 vs Phantom 820?

Well it depends how much in a hurry you are in order to get the case, idk the dollar price of a Phantom since i dont use dollars where i live, but the 900D got presented at CES and that could be an option, however we don't now release date of it yet. im certain i'll wait to buy that since i will be doing a new rig for myself in hopefully 3-4 months.

Switch 810 is what i know a cheaper case with about the same customisation as the 820.

doubt you'll be dissapointed eather way, more or less depends on how much you're willing to spend. I would go with an expensiver case for a longer run like i wrote above with the 900D i am waiting for.

Case: Fractal Design Arc V2, CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz, COOLER: Noctua Nh-D14, GPU: Sapphire Radeon Hd7970 Vapor-X 3GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 16GB,

PSU: Fractal Design Newton R3 800W Plantinum, SSD: Samsung Basic 840- 120GB, HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 RPM, Fans: 3x Fractal r2 Silent series 140mm, 2x Corsair AF 140mm.

Yeah just saw the 900D not long ago.

After seeing the temps from the Kraken x40 I decided to make this case work with it until I have the money to buy a case which I'll be happy with for a couple of years, which may end up being the 900D. Thanks Odde.

I forgot if they said a price range for the 900D

does anyone here know?

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

I believe George from Corsair said $350 in Linus' CES video.

Edit: Just double checked, he said $350.

NZXT or Corsair for the "budget" choice

Lian Li or Silverstone for the pricy one.

• MB MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K + Corsair H60 + 2x Alpenfohn Wing Boost

RAM Corsair Dominator 16 GB

GPU MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II / OC

SC Asus Xonar D2X

SSD Corsair Force GT 120 GB

HDD WD Black 1 TB + Blue 1 TB + Green 500 GB

PSU Corsair HX650

Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black

Rheobus NZXT Sentry LXE

Monitor: 3x LG IPS231P + Philips 298P4Q

Hi-Fi Onkyo HT-S3305

OS Windows 8.1 Pro

personally a case with that much plastic is not something I would be using for more than one build..

and btw, if you are thinking about doing a custom watercooling loop then you should save up a little more, make a small custom CPU loop and then add the GFX card and a bigger case when you have the money and the need.. :)

(Comming soon)