How did you guys save up for your PC?

Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Work, Repair some stuff for family and friends and ask some money for the jobs and I buy some used hardware and build computers and sell them with a llittle profit.

Ummmm, I'm an adult with a job. Granted, my money gets split up among necessities and other hobbies (mostly video games but also my car). Usually I never purchase my parts all at once and I reuse what I can then replace the old stuff later. My current rig, only the motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler, case and fans are new. Everything else was reused. All the new stuff was bought over the course of about 2 months. Since I'm not in "must crank settings on newest AAA games" mode, I'm good with sticking to my older stuff for now. Most of what I'm playing now my laptop can easily handle.

And this has been the case with everything I've built. Even my first rig about 11-12 years ago when I was in High School, I plundered a few parts from my parents' PC. It was all aftermarket parts I had bought anyway but still.

I am in the process of saving up for a new build right now. Currently I am doing things around the house like: 

I painted 2 rooms= 200$ total

Cut the grass= 10$ each time

Installing lighting in my house: 10$ each 

Home carpentry

Christmas will help

Help from parents help

Actively looking for a job, but at 15, it is hard. Basically, just doing things around the house. 

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

by not spending much and working 5 days a week for a summer. actually it only took half of it but i waited until i had a lot saved up

By having a job for which I had to use my personal car and got car compensation + fuel comp... I spent the compensation.... I hope my car doesn't brake any time soon =)

Total is more, because thunder phucked my motherboard once. But about 800€

Job, i still live with my parents (feeling bad about it considering my age...) so my expenses are low. Only needed two months to get all my gear.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Oh boy, to buy the last big round of upgrades, new gpu, new case, new ram, new monitor, new hard drives, which totaled just short of 1300usd; I managed to get lucky, got a raise at work and ran into some money that fell out of my rather hefty college savings account, you know how it is, sometimes little bits just slip out, and you can't just put em back in, no once they hit the floor they're all dirty, you gotta use em right then and there.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I've never managed to buy my own. My parents bought me a laptop when I went to Uni and since then I've had that same laptop (around 5 years now). I am currently saving with the fiancee for our wedding and for a big holiday to Florida so still no saving happening. Once those things are done, I'll put the monthly savings for those into a PC fund and hopefully, seeing as my PC usage at the moment is everyday Excel and internet (YouTube) use, with Football Manager being the only game I play, it shouldn't take me too long to save for a half decent PC that I can upgrade as time goes by and as I start to get into PC Gaming (hopefully).

My current laptop: HP Compaq Presario CQ62

Our company gave me the money I needed for my build :P

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

• 1 month later...

As I was building my computer, I had a thought, how did you pay for your computer? I payed for mine, it took 6 months, a paper round, good grades and chores to pull it off but I managed a pretty sick rig. So, how did you pay for yours? Did you get your parents/carer to pay for it? Did you pay for it yourself with some help? Or did you get a job to pay for your dream rig?

I thought this was a pretty interesting topic, let me know how you did it! - Croum  :P 

Gaming/Editing Rig: CPU - i7 4790K|GPU - GTX 970 SSC|RAM - 16GB HyperX Fury|MOBO - Z97S SLI KRAIT|HDD - 1TB Western Digital|SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB|PSU - SuperNOVA G2 650W

Check out my YouTube channel and maybe subscribe if you get the time? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTkGuHFjcWH73lT8RqLK9TA

Check out my digital store for cool products! https://sellfy.com/Zolias

saved up for a long time

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

I got a job once I turned 14 and worked for a year.

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

PRESENTS

job

MORE PRESENTS

more jobs

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

It's not mine.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I got a free dual xeon mac pro with 16GB of ram, and so I traded it for watercooling stuff. I got two PCs from the same place, each one had a 3930k, asrock extreme9, 64GB ram, dual SSDs, 1KW PSU, gtx 570, and a 650D. both pcs cost me a total of 600 bucks, so I sold one for more than I paid for both, and kept the other. The GPU I got by selling two flatscreen tvs I scored for free and fixed. So thats that.

steal..

im just kidding

saved up maney for my rig from birthday money and grandma money

Got a job, didn't buy random shit for a few weeks. My first full personal build was a barebones bundle that went on sale on Newegg. AMD A8-5600K, some MSI micro ATX mobo, 4GB of the shittiest RAM known to man, and a $20 Logisys PSU that had issues out of the box and died within a month. I added a 650 Ti to that build, then eventually upgraded to the build in my sig. Before that I poked around and "upgraded" a couple family PCs, and built a PC for a friend that didn't trust himself to do it alone. 

Oh and I spent almost £1k on my laptop, imagine what I could have built in a desktop :(

I did the same, I love my laptop, but my back needs a rest, hopefully I'll be building my desktop between November and December, I just hope that the exchange rate doesn't goes through the roof on the holidays -_-

EDIT:

Lol, didn't see that this post was from 2013... I should drink my coffee before posting xD

CPU: I7 4790k | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ | Case: Corsair Carbide 500R | Storage: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250GB, 2 * 1TB 7200rpm HDD | PSU: EVGA 600b 80 plus bronze | Display(s): Asus PB287Q | Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Operating System: Windows 10 PRO

Decided what I wanted, and saved my money.
Volunteered for every available hour at work, came in when someone would call out. 
Did without unnecessary stuff, switched to generic groceries, ordered basics and got second gpu/monitor later, stopped smoking cigarettes (that's a lie, I cut back lol)

Bright side, can many people say building a gaming pc got them a promotion at work? lol

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

I saved my lunch money. £3 a day, 5 days a week.

It took a while...

Me too, but 2 bgn(bulgarian currency, 2bgn=1€) and not everyday (for the 5 days a week), but with some help from relatives I had the 1200bgn to buy my PC.

I worked at a computer shop when i was 15, and bought the components from them, saved enough for a $1100 build. Still using that computer to this day :)