PC just reset on me...

Tim
Go to solution Solved by Dave :),

41 errors are generally created when something interferes with the shut down, so something unexpected happens therefore Windows generates the error code.

Shut down now, and don't turn off at the wall. Then restart and see if you get an error generated. If not, shut down again and this turn do turn off at the wall (as you would normally) and then restart and see if an error is generated.

Hey guys,

Was just watching a youtube video and my PC just reset. At first I thought it was a power cut but all my networking stuff was fine. It then booted itself back up and has given me no error messages at all. It even kept all my tabs open in firefox.

Any ideas what may cause this, it was literally like someone pressed the reset button.

It's never done it before, and I don't fancy it doing it again...

Specs:

MSI Z77A-G45

MSI 7850

Corsair Force 3 SSD 60GB (OS)

Asus xonar soundcard

Seagate barracuda 1TB (storage)

Corsair CX600 PSU

8GB LP vengeance RAM

Windows 8 Pro

Loads of cooling so I'm ruling out an overheat. (Was also only a 360p video)

I've not got any overclocks at the moment, all stock speeds.

Thanks,

Tim

In your windows search bar, type "Event Viewer". Click on it and  then look at the log. Do you have any Errors or Criticals?

Possibly the computer scheduled a restart to a previous update it needed a reboot for? maybe you didn't notice the message pop up in the background?

not sure. it sounds pretty weird to me, try checking your windows update history to see if that was the case. 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I have quite a few under "Kernel power", including the reset that just happened.

:wacko:

I have quite a few under "Kernel power", including the reset that just happened.

:wacko:

Do you have a specific number for the error under Kernal power?

Panic over.

Just been downstairs and the cooker wants the time put in, as does the freeview box and microwave. Must have been a very quick power cut.

*Buys a UPS*

Panic over.

Just been downstairs and the cooker wants the time put in, as does the freeview box and microwave. Must have been a very quick power cut.

*Buys a UPS*

:) Horrah, glad it's nothing hardware related. 

Hmm

Went back into the event viewer and noticed it had some errors from days ago. Looked at them and found this...

KydFP5A.png

I always shut down the computer properly, but I do tend to turn it off at the wall after. Could that be causing these?

41 errors are generally created when something interferes with the shut down, so something unexpected happens therefore Windows generates the error code.

Shut down now, and don't turn off at the wall. Then restart and see if you get an error generated. If not, shut down again and this turn do turn off at the wall (as you would normally) and then restart and see if an error is generated.

Tried both situations, no errors added. I also turned off at the wall much sooner than I normallly would. I waited until the fans had stopped and then pulled the power. Normally it's a good 5-10 mins after shutdown that I turn off the power.

Quite a strange one really. Could it be that sometimes it's doing something when I pull the power and others it isn't?

generally random offs in windows is often related to a small user mode switch in bios. called hpet (high precision event timer.) found in the ahci menu list on eufi bios or enhanced cpu features in ami.

it can be listed a few ways.from being labled HPET

to high precision event timer, advanced timer/ to precision events..

how ever its labled it is essential for stable operation of windows since vista.

64bit o.s owners should set it to 64 (if given the option) but it can sometimes cause issues with 64bit server versions. if thats the case set it to 32bit or if no numbers are selectable just select enabled.

most people dont know its needed so when they see it in bios they leave it off as its set that way by default on most boards. so load optimized defaults and set it to enabled. save and reboot.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

generally random offs in windows is often related to a small user mode switch in bios. called hpet (high precision event timer.) found in the ahci menu list on eufi bios or enhanced cpu features in ami.

it can be listed a few ways.from being labled HPET

to high precision event timer, advanced timer/ to precision events..

how ever its labled it is essential for stable operation of windows since vista.

64bit o.s owners should set it to 64 (if given the option) but it can sometimes cause issues with 64bit server versions. if thats the case set it to 32bit or if no numbers are selectable just select enabled.

most people dont know its needed so when they see it in bios they leave it off as its set that way by default on most boards. so load optimized defaults and set it to enabled. save and reboot.

Did not know this, cheers!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

first came across it when i switched from xp to win 7 on my old amd 6000x2 88gt setup. it was stable with xp and constantly crashed with win 7. it took some digging but finally found out what hpet was used for. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Precision_Event_Timer

some of the info is a little old as but still relevant.

btw error 41 just means the cpu lost power and the error is created after the reboot not before the pc crashed. if you want to simulate an error 41 just turn the pc off at the wall.

it actually means nothing other than telling you the pc went off unexpectedly. the error you would want is the 1 that shows up directly before you see error 41 

looking at the OP's error log i can see you get em very often, at random times which leads me to think it is the hpet issue. as my error list looked identical. 2-3 times a day i would randomly off and my pc is generally on 16 hours a day.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

Funny thing is though, my PC has never reset on me while I'm using it.

It reset today while I was using it because there was a power cut. Those other errors have caused me no problems... :lol:

there not likley to unless your hdd is writing at the time. then you will either get broken chains in your registry and mft or corrupted sectors on your drive. just because you dont see it doesnt mean theres no real harm being done.