Is 60 refresh rate enough for mmo in this era?

Leinbert42

Today mmorpg are gearing toward action oriented gameplay instead of your classic click on enemy and button smash all the hotkeys. I want to get a mmo monitor and I am pondering which one to get. Should I get a monitor that is good in colour and overall visual quality but have regular 60hz or should I get a 144hz but compromise the overall colour and visual quality? , most gaming monitor a towards fps and rarely have monitor that is specific for mmo gaming. Or will we depend on vr hardware for future mmo?

MMO games really dont require split second reaction times and twitch accuracy like shooters do, i would go with 60hz IPS or something to get the best visual quality, also a nice high resolution, say 1440P would give the MMO graphics a nice boost since they tend to be rater lacking and give more screen space for hotbars etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Which MMO's are you playing? Anyway, if we're talking PvE content, you're probably not going to need that "twitch accuracy" of high refresh rate since the developers aren't inclined to make things that hard. It might be more helpful in PvP depending on the game, but if it's large scale stuff you'll probably have trouble reaching frame rates to take advantage of 120 Hz+.

MMOs are built with high latency play in mind, you're never going need as quick a response as in a shooter because of that.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

On vr hardware, what do you think the effect it have on the production on future monitor, will vr work side by side with gaming grade monitor or will it elimated all of them which left only monitor for professional use or media use.

Which MMO's are you playing? Anyway, if we're talking PvE content, you're probably not going to need that "twitch accuracy" of high refresh rate since the developers aren't inclined to make things that hard. It might be more helpful in PvP depending on the game, but if it's large scale stuff you'll probably have trouble reaching frame rates to take advantage of 120 Hz+.

generally speaking, most mmo now and in the future are action orient. I do agree that is not like a fps.

On vr hardware, what do you think the effect it have on the production on future monitor, will vr work side by side with gaming grade monitor or will it elimated all of them which left only monitor for professional use or media use.

at first side by side, VR will be awesome for gaming, but i can imagine not all games would benefit, like RTS/strategy/CCG, i also imagine its quite fatiguing to wear all day where a simple monitor is easy + you will need your monitor for more traditional browsing/productivity

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

GEt a nice 60hz IPS. 144hz is even stupid for FPS in my opinion.

please dont judge it until you have tried it.. 

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

30fps is enough for an MMO 60hz is good for anything else and 144hz is for people who like big numbers.

Edited by alpenwasser

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

please dont judge it until you have tried it.. 

@Lays had 144hz TN panels, and now he has 1440p IPS panels. He says he prefers the IPS 1440penis

GEt a nice 60hz IPS. 144hz is even stupid for FPS in my opinion.

Try saying that to any competitive fps gamer.

Yes, 144hz is ridiculous for mmo. I don't think it's a great monitor unless we got more realistic games.

@Lays had 144hz TN panels, and now he has 1440p IPS panels. He says he prefers the IPS 1440penis

Damn, he's lucky! 1440penis? I'm stuck with my 1080penis!

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

Damn, he's lucky! 1440penis? I'm stuck with my 1080penis!

Me too :(

If you don't care about butter smooth and quick reactions get a nice IPS possibly even a 1440p panel.

I won't give up 144hz but I don't play MMO's It also means I'm stuck waiting for engineers to sort out 4k bandwidth for many many years.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Yeah 144hz is an fps only thing. Mobas, MMOs, even RTSs don't benefit from it. Yes it's smooth, but not enough to be an advantage or to justify the cost. Resolution would be the best to allocate action bars, macros, and to see large scale encounters. 144hz is not stupid, if you think it is dont say it, because then you look stupid. It's a technology that has uses, if its not useful to you DONT BUY IT. I dont prefer IPS, I dont call all of you stupid....

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

I don't see a reason for more than 60Hz for MMORPG... but I would go for higher if I can afford one, because why not???

but that's me, who think color reproduction is not a priority for me...

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

Yeah 144hz is an fps only thing. Mobas, MMOs, even RTSs don't benefit from it. Yes it's smooth, but not enough to be an advantage or to justify the cost. Resolution would be the best to allocate action bars, macros, and to see large scale encounters. 144hz is not stupid, if you think it is dont say it, because then you look stupid. It's a technology that has uses, if its not useful to you DONT BUY IT. I dont prefer IPS, I dont call all of you stupid....

I'd argue it has its benefit in competitive RTS. But then I bought mine after sitting down to try it on starcraft. Either way 120hz + justifies its cost for the user's it actually targets. Although I have warned my friends they probably should try mine as I was sold on it the moment I sat down to play and now games at 60hz feel wrong.That said I've the hardware to push 144fps. They have cards which probably couldn't do it on battlefield on all low settings.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I'd argue it has its benefit in competitive RTS. But then I bought mine after sitting down to try it on starcraft. Either way 120hz + justifies its cost for the user's it actually targets. Although I have warned my friends they probably should try mine as I was sold on it the moment I sat down to play and now games at 60hz feel wrong.That said I've the hardware to push 144fps. They have cards which probably couldn't do it on battlefield on all low settings.

That's the point. There are a few variables:

-target panel accuracy (colors vs response)

-refresh rate

-resolution (or gaming resolution, if not 1:1)

-graphic power and fps

The more, the better. I have played MOBAs with 120Hz panels and I found them a lot smoother and satisfying, but I prefer to sacrifice the higher refresh rate to a higher resolution/v-synced framerate (and maybe colour reproduction).

If you manage to go to the 1080+/120+ case, make sure you have the right amout of computing power; 144Hz with less than 144FPS could be frustrating for your mind and pocket.

Tech Enthusiast. Period.

Once you go 120Hz you don't wanna go back anymore.

Anyways I notice frame drops from 120-100 even when playing battlefield and thats disturbing. If I'd be playing a game on an ipad, that slow framerate is exhausting on your eyes. If I knew that this would happen I wouldn't ever used 120Hz, its like you cant enjoy any other display anymore thats not 120Hz.. 

Most MMO's you shouldn't expect 120 fps in a big pvp map, the cpu is always overloaded causing tons of bottlenecks making your sli setup a waste. Doesnt really only happen to mmo's but plenty of shooters as well like BF3.

no matter how the the combat mechanics of an mmo works, action based or not, mmos are slow sluggish and overall not a smooth experience, this is the case with every mmo ever made, you are restricted by the connection and the server, you will notice this in how the combat is made, mmos are always about making the best compromises, they can never have the experience you should have because you are held back by the connections, unless they come up with some new technology.

if i were you i would go for pictures and colors, you don't "need" more than 60hz especially if you don't have like dual 780's to take advantage of it, i would go for the quality 60hz monitor with a shiny image, wouldn't really do anything else unless you were a super hardcore cs player who plays in competitions.

Try saying that to any competitive fps gamer.

most competitive camera don't know much about hardware and just look at big numbers.