Are E Sports An Actual Sport

DumbPanzyDisks

well, some people are running all day long to be the fastes and win the olympics, others kill bitches all day long in CS to win the WC. Its basically the same thing. Of course there isnt much movement in it, but an average person can't beat a olympic runner in running nor can he beat a pro in CS/Starcraft/LoL/whatever.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Really depends, how you look at a sport... to me though it's a sport, it requires skill prefect timing, and the mind set as if you were on a football game. Athletic is the term you are looking for.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Eating copious amounts of Doritos and growing a neckbeard is a sport.

So ya

it doesent make the athletes, just players, athletes are ones who do athletics, gaming is not athletics

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Yes. So is chess. His argument is saying that because it's not physical, it's not a sport. He seems to think that pro gamers don't train, too. He might not know what he's talking about.

In Asia E-Sports is like hockey (in canada) or football (in the USA)

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

I think chess is considered a sport... so why not?

If you can have enough players to continuously enter in regular competitions, and there are matches / tournaments, winners / losers.... and they are playing a 'game' so yeah.. it's a sport. 

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

it doesent make the athletes, just players, athletes are ones who do athletics, gaming is not athletics

"Athlete" has become general term to refer someone who competes because they love to do it. Professional whatever means that they get paid for it. In old days ie. Olympics didn't have cash prices, I'm not sure if they have now or not. Most who compete in Olympics are sponsored anyway. So basicly its two completely different thing as being an athlete or being athletic. Even pro gamers can be athletic or be refered as athletes.

To add here. In here org for ppl who play dance games are considered to be org under national org for all dancing orgs. Playing dancing games is still gaming. Its still esport more than actual dancing. Is dancing sport?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Im not particularly into sports or e-sports, but I just can't take competitive gaming seriously at all. It seems unfortunate to call it e-sports. I don't think its a bad thing and its cool if people are into it, but it shouldn't be compared to playing an actual sport.

Im not particularly into sports or e-sports, but I just can't take competitive gaming seriously at all. It seems unfortunate to call it e-sports. I don't think its a bad thing and its cool if people are into it, but it shouldn't be compared to playing an actual sport.

What are reason behind that thinking? Do you think making playing interactive games as sport too serious? That argument can be used against every sport since all of them have at some point been just for fun.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

However much I like esport I think they should stay esports and not be considered sports. Stay in there own world not to be televised etc.

Twitter | Steam |

However much I like esport I think they should stay esports and not be considered sports. Stay in there own world not to be televised etc.

Twitter | Steam |

It's simple really, I just figured it out.

The amount of physical activity and delay in between of golf is equal to pressing W,A,S,D and moving the mouse, sometimes even getting up, shouting and eye movement.

You hit once, see if it went in the hole, someone picks it up, then hit again with long intervals in between.

Golf is a sport and if it exerts the same or less physical activity as gaming, then by logic gaming is a sport. Boom.

Yes. So is chess. His argument is saying that because it's not physical, it's not a sport. He seems to think that pro gamers don't train, too. He might not know what he's talking about.

He also seems to think they're overweight, which, majority of pro-gamers are rather fit. There appears to be a lot of people on this thread discussing things they've virtually zero knowledge of.

And here's an example right here - So you're saying they shouldn't be televised, like they have been in Korea for at least 10 years now. They have like, 2 channels dedicated to eSports.

I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed that on a tech forums, filled with people buying high-end gaming rigs that there are some very narrow views with little to no basis to them being presented

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

He also seems to think they're overweight, which, majority of pro-gamers are rather fit. There appears to be a lot of people on this thread discussing things they've virtually zero knowledge of.

And here's an example right here - So you're saying they shouldn't be televised, like they have been in Korea for at least 10 years now. They have like, 2 channels dedicated to eSports.

I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed that on a tech forums, filled with people buying high-end gaming rigs that there are some very narrow views with little to no basis to them being presented

But they ARE being televised....Twitch is showing hundreds of channels of esports over a superiour medium. Accessible at any time with no payment other than sitting through an ad or two. I mean that doesn't really change anything, I just felt I should point that out. It's one of the strengths of the genre.

I do agree that people are narrowminded about the subject, but only because they insist on calling it sports or arguing that it shouldn't be because it's somehow inferiour rather than let it stand as a unique discipline with some very big strengths. No one should really care, why is anyone having this debate? All that should matter is how e-sports is doing and how it can evolve to be even better. People that dismiss it in the first place are not people you should be convincing IMO.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

But they ARE being televised....Twitch is showing hundreds of channels of esports over a superiour medium. Accessible at any time with no payment other than sitting through an ad or two. I mean that doesn't really change anything, I just felt I should point that out. It's one of the strengths of the genre.

Streaming over internet and being broadcasted on satellite/cable tv are still two completely different things. Though with PS4 and Xbox One we are getting there. Being televised for major people still means that they turn on big black screen in living room, turn on some channel and instead of NFL, NHL or NBA there is MLG or ESL etc.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Streaming over internet and being broadcasted on satellite/cable tv are still two completely different things. Though with PS4 and Xbox One we are getting there. Being televised for major people still means that they turn on big black screen in living room, turn on some channel and instead of NFL, NHL or NBA there is MLG or ESL etc.

They are different. Streaming is free and you use a different box to watch it.

Otherwise they are identical. The fact that some people don't use it is irrelevant. I don't watch cable TV, because the media I want to consume are available for free on the internet. With less ads....for free. My parents still have classic TV, but also watch stuff on the internet. The only reason they have the TV to start with is because the stuff they like to watch isn't available on the internet. If it was they'd stop paying their sub instantly.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

They are different. Streaming is free and you use a different box to watch it.

Otherwise they are identical. The fact that some people don't use it is irrelevant. I don't watch cable TV, because the media I want to consume are available for free on the internet. With less ads....for free. My parents still have classic TV, but also watch stuff on the internet. The only reason they have the TV to start with is because the stuff they like to watch isn't available on the internet. If it was they'd stop paying their sub instantly.

That being my point. We aren't yet in that position where you can just open TV/one software and select channel which brings quality content. With twitch you either have to know good streamer or surf throught many bad ones. When it becomes as simple as just opening TV and selecting ESPN e-sport will truly become mainstream.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

That being my point. We aren't yet in that position where you can just open TV/one software and select channel which brings quality content. With twitch you either have to know good streamer or surf throught many bad ones. When it becomes as simple as just opening TV and selecting ESPN e-sport will truly become mainstream.

But it IS...go to twitch right now. Front page lists several popular channels that ARE filled with good content and are live right now.

But it IS...go to twitch right now. Front page lists several popular channels that ARE filled with good content and are live right now.

You don't seem to get my point. I'm not arguing against you. I'm just giving another not-so-black-and-white view on this. For me twitch has become kinda another hobby. Finding new games and even new sport (Nascar) to watch. I'm just saying that Twitch ain't yet in same level with old fashioned broadcasting.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I do agree that people are narrowminded about the subject, but only because they insist on calling it sports or arguing that it shouldn't be because it's somehow inferiour rather than let it stand as a unique discipline with some very big strengths. No one should really care, why is anyone having this debate? All that should matter is how e-sports is doing and how it can evolve to be even better. People that dismiss it in the first place are not people you should be convincing IMO.

And in Korea, being televised is being televised. We get the English casts on Twitch of say, GSL, Proleague or OGN Champions League, the Korean casts are broadcast on TV, on cable channels. That was what I meant.

I mean, sure, you could count Twitch as televised, but most would refer to it as broadcasted via internet

Esports is growing though, it may get to a level where events are broadcast live on TV

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

@VulsaviiK yeah... Gladly we have these countries that understant value of young viewers. Like S-Korea and Sweden (Dreamhack). There was a channel at one point in Finnish cable that broadcasted some games (BF2, CoD2 and CS1.6) but it had too little viewers and so too little ad money.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Short and most accurate answer: no. 

E-Sports should push toward being their own and unique category instead of consistently forcing others to believe that they are a type of sports.