Are E Sports An Actual Sport

DumbPanzyDisks

Its more like people think calling something sport makes it more elite than other games/hobbies/entertainment.

well, if we agree on nothing else.  we can agree on this ;)

i watch this guys :P

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

I think that if chess is a sport what makes it different than DotA or LoL? I argue with a lot of people about how E-Sports are actually sports just the way that chess or Nascar racing are sports. I think in the future it will be more accepted and called a sport. I would rather watch a DotA match instead of a football game. I dont follow football or basketball or anything but I kind of follow Dota and love watching it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, if darts, snooker/pool and motorsports are sports then so are Esports

Corsair 650D, i5-4690K (Corsair h50 cooler), Asus ROG maximus VII Ranger, Asus GTX 980ti Strix, 16GB Corsair Vengeance pro series Red (2x8gb 2400mhz), Corsair HX850W, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sennheiser HD595 / Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250 ohm, Samsung 850 pro 128GB / WD black/blue/green, OCZ vertex 3 60gb . Corsair M40/Corsair k70.

• 2 weeks later...

so does golf.  so does poker.  that's why they're not sports.

Golf isn't a sport now, my god that's probably one of the dumbest things I've read on the internet so far this year. If you think you don't need to be in least good health for Golf, throw your back out and swing a club, I dare you

you also seem to think that carrying a keyboard counts as 'requires strength' and 'going to the gym will make it easier for me to carry a keyboard to the desk so i can do better in the game'.  again.  not sure why.

Ok, for the last time this is why esports players go to the gym, at least the good ones do. Being able to hold that level of reaction times, to be able to multi-task that well, and to perform at maximum efficiency, they need to be fit. There's a quote I'm going to pull straight from Full Metal Alchemist because it sums this up quite well:

"To train the mind, one must first train the body"

And there is research to support that. It's why they say you should exercise in between studying, same principle.

I argue with a lot of people about how E-Sports are actually sports just the way that chess or Nascar racing are sports. I think in the future it will be more accepted and called a sport.

That's been like, 90% of this thread so far, that 90% of people are completely missing the point on.

a sport has at least 2 of the following 3 points:

requires good cardio (heart and lung performance)

requires skill

requires strength (growing more muscle mass improves your performance)

I mean, if we go down the cardio/pure strength aspect, a lot of what we already define as "sport" is in fact, not "sport". I mean, we pulled the whole motorsports thing already, but in olympic sports alone, we'd omit at least these:

-Golf: because apparently that's not a real sport

-Equestrian: because it's the horse that does all the hard work, it's just the person controlling the horse that gets the credit

-Archery and Shooting: Because there is literally no strength or cardio involved, at least not to the extent of them being classified a "real sport"

-Table tennis: Because like you actually move around in Table Tennis

-Sailing

-Possibly synchronized swimming

There's like, 20-25% of Olympic sports that aren't real sports by your definition

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

It's not about the sport being a sport or no, nobody cares about that

It's the competition

I can host a egg throwing event and declare it's a sport because of competition

LMFAO

did you actually quote the wrong posts?

i am DEFINITELY submitting this for all the relevant reports.