Schiit Modi & Magni (Stack)

Sorry I am a complete noob in terms of audio equipment... But what exactly do you need those for?

what would this be like for running with speakers say for example for a media pc in my living room?

best company ever. Is there now going to be a headphone company called chunt, or fuuuk

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

what would this be like for running with speakers say for example for a media pc in my living room?

It would be a waste of time, For running speakers you only need a line level out (which nearly all onboard can manage exceptionally well) and an amp, or use an optical if you have one straight to the optical in of a receiver amp.

best company ever. Is there now going to be a headphone company called chunt, or fuuuk

For a company that is the "best ever" or even trying to be simply high quality they seem to be having way too many issues with too many of there products, I.E ringing valve amps, amps that kill headphones (asguard) and base models with too much gain for average headphones.  

It's a shame because I feel we need more down to earth companies releasing good quality audio gear at reasonable prices and not the usual price plus a 4000% markup for being an audiophile grade product.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It would be a waste of time, For running speakers you only need a line level out (which nearly all onboard can manage exceptionally well) and an amp, or use an optical if you have one straight to the optical in of a receiver amp.

For a company that is the "best ever" or even trying to be simply high quality they seem to be having way too many issues with too many of there products, I.E ringing valve amps, amps that kill headphones (asguard) and base models with too much gain for average headphones.  

It's a shame because I feel we need more down to earth companies releasing good quality audio gear at reasonable prices and not the usual price plus a 4000% markup for being an audiophile grade product.

*name* is best ever. I don't know anything about this dac amp shit.  I only know about instrumental amps.  Music products, i think, are where having a real store is better.  They, as you said, mostly have about a 500% mark up.  In music stores (well atleast instrument stores) you can get a $4000 amp for 2500 because they have so much room to barter.  AS long as you kinda know what your talking about, you can haggle and they will drop the price.  Just my opinion which you didn't ask for...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Just my opinion which you didn't ask for...

Lol, you didn't ask for mine either, but we all have one and if we don't express them then there's no point in being on the forums.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Interesting story, NwAvGuy (the guy who created th O2 and subsequently dissapered) was banned from Head-Fi fourums due to what he belived was a disagreement with the Head-Fi team regarding a Schiit audio product. This ban lead him to create his O2 dac and amp a product that he considers "nearly perfect" here is the link if you want to read more http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/banned-at-head-fi.html regardless of what you think of the audio world or NwAvGuy in general it is definatly an interesting story. Great video LMG team as usual.

large.jpg

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Sorry I am a complete noob in terms of audio equipment... But what exactly do you need those for?

It is a DAC or digital to analog converter and a headphone amp combo. essentially the DAC takes the digital song data from your computer (the 1's and 0's) and converts it into an analog wave (think soundwave) that can drive headphones to make sound. The Amp part simply makes the wave bigger so that higher impedence headphones (imagine high impedence headphones are a solid block of metal and low impedance headphones are a feather, they need a bigger wave to move them) can be driven properly. You might need this product if your onboard audio DAC solution is not very good, or you have very high impedance headphones.

I love sh...stuff like that! I'm all in for lower priced products which don't compromise on quality but instead just deliver where it counts and cut on useless but flashy features. I mean you can often add something flashy yourself depending on your taste and budget and that's much more fun, anyway.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I just purchased the Schitt Magni and Modi to pair with my Sennheiser HD8's. I'm not an extreme audiophile, however to me they sound great. The only complaint I would have about them, and I'm curious to see if this happens to others with the product is when you bring your phone or other device near the stack it creates a significant amount of interference. To me this isn't the biggest deal, it just means I put my phone on the opposite side of my desk. Another quick addition I would have like to have seen is another set of rubber feet. All and all great product.

tricky, on 17 Mar 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

I just purchased the Schitt Magni and Modi to pair with my Sennheiser HD8's. I'm not an extreme audiophile, however to me they sound great. The only complaint I would have about them, and I'm curious to see if this happens to others with the product is when you bring your phone or other device near the stack it creates a significant amount of interference. To me this isn't the biggest deal, it just means I put my phone on the opposite side of my desk. Another quick addition I would have like to have seen is another set of rubber feet. All and all great product.

Doesn't sound like it is properly shielded. Why would it do such thing?

Going over their website I'm actually pretty impressed by their attitude. They have a distributor here so I will keep these guys in mind if I ever want to step up from my E10 combo DAC/amp

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Main CPU: i7-3770k 1.2v 4.4ghz | MOBO: Asus M5E | RAM: Corsair Dom Plat. 2133mhz 8gb | GPU: Asus gtx 680 direct cu II Top | DRIVES: Samsung 840 Pro, Segate Baracuda, Western Digital Caviar Black | POWER SUPPLY: Corsair AX860 | CASE: CM HAF 932 a | CPU COOLER: H100 w/ push pull sp120's | KEYS: Ducky Shine II (black switches, purple backlit) | MOUSE: mionix naos 8200 ||||| Backup CPU: i5-4670k 1.2v 4.4ghz | MOBO: Asus M6H | RAM: Corsair Dom Plat. 1866mhz 8gb | GPU: Asus gtx 560 direct cu II OC | DRIVES: Samsung 840 Pro , Segate Baracuda | POWER SUPPLY: Corsair HX1050 | CASE: Corsair Carbide 300r window | CPU COOLER: Corsair H80 w/ push pull sp120's | KEYS: Microsoft sidewinder x4 | MOUSE: : Logitech g400 

Serious question, does the stack introduce an audio delay from the source?

Actually looking at it now, seeing as it's based on USB, it probably does...

I had a Little Dot mkII, you don't want a tube amp. A Magni is better and almost 1/3 the price.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Going over their website I'm actually pretty impressed by their MARKETING. They have a distributor here so I will keep these guys in mind if I ever want to step up from my E10 combo DAC/amp

FTFY.

I had a Little Dot mkII, you don't want a tube amp. A Magni is better and almost 1/3 the price.

schiit makes some tube headphone amps too, please explain why one doesn't want a nice tube amplifier for their headphones?

Main CPU: i7-3770k 1.2v 4.4ghz | MOBO: Asus M5E | RAM: Corsair Dom Plat. 2133mhz 8gb | GPU: Asus gtx 680 direct cu II Top | DRIVES: Samsung 840 Pro, Segate Baracuda, Western Digital Caviar Black | POWER SUPPLY: Corsair AX860 | CASE: CM HAF 932 a | CPU COOLER: H100 w/ push pull sp120's | KEYS: Ducky Shine II (black switches, purple backlit) | MOUSE: mionix naos 8200 ||||| Backup CPU: i5-4670k 1.2v 4.4ghz | MOBO: Asus M6H | RAM: Corsair Dom Plat. 1866mhz 8gb | GPU: Asus gtx 560 direct cu II OC | DRIVES: Samsung 840 Pro , Segate Baracuda | POWER SUPPLY: Corsair HX1050 | CASE: Corsair Carbide 300r window | CPU COOLER: Corsair H80 w/ push pull sp120's | KEYS: Microsoft sidewinder x4 | MOUSE: : Logitech g400 

schiit makes some tube headphone amps too, please explain why one doesn't want a nice tube amplifier for their headphones?

Tube amps distort the signal.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Tube amps distort the signal.

Some of the best systems I've heard and that grace the homes of high end audiophiles contain tube amplifiers. 

Every amp distorts the signal. 

Every amp distorts the signal. 

Absolutely, but if you want to replicate the source file as closely as possible, tube amps aren't the way to go. Keep in mind most of what you hear is the audio drivers, yoo, not the amp itself.