Powerline vs wifi, worth it?

Snickerzz

Right now i'm useinng a dualband usb 2.0 wifi adapter and my speeds top at 2.4mb/s and avg around 1.8-2.1mb/s when downloading. My router is a linksys E2500 and i use xdinity (comcast), not particularly sure on what plan. Would i get that much of a boost from powerline? Also if it matters the router is downstairs, im upstairs :)

Heres a speedtest http://www.speedtest.net/result/2684302635.png

This would probably be the powerline ide get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156390

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

To be honest, your speed test looks pretty good. If you want better performance, get a PCIe WiFi card.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

To be honest, your speed test looks pretty good. If you want better performance, get a PCIe WiFi card.

i was also thinking about that too, and you changed you avatar, i like :)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

i was also thinking about that too, and you changed you avatar, i like :)

Thanks you :D

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Is running a CAT6 cable an option?  Thats my pick.  

USB wifi adapters are not really that strong,  I would get a pci-e wifi card with external moveable antennas such as the ASUS PCE-AC66.

Our dear friend Linus has a video about this, might help you.

Greetings from the Netherlands!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

1. Run a cable its cheap and all your problems go away.

2. If you can't do step one do powerline.

3. If all else fails - wireless.

(no trolling intended)

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

I personally use powreline now. This reason why I do this is because someone hacked my Wi-Fi and was downloading huge amount of data lol, luckily i'm on unlimited download but was still being throttled. 

Anyway, I use 2 powerline, 1 upstairs for the PS3 (in another room), and one downstairs for a laptop. I personally saw a huge improvement in speed, i have no idea if the modem/router by ISP is bad but i saw a huge improvement. 

On wi-fi I was getting about 10Mb/s (my download is 60Mb/s), with Powerline i was getting 50Mb/s. 

So for me it was worth it. 

I would have gone for the wired route but would be too much hassle. And yes the laptop is old and wireless card is bad in there lol. 

But hope it helps :) 

Is running a CAT6 cable an option?  Thats my pick.  

USB wifi adapters are not really that strong,  I would get a pci-e wifi card with external moveable antennas such as the ASUS PCE-AC66.

nope :/

Our dear friend Linus has a video about this, might help you.

seen it but it didnt really help much 

I personally use powreline now. This reason why I do this is because someone hacked my Wi-Fi and was downloading huge amount of data lol, luckily i'm on unlimited download but was still being throttled. 

Anyway, I use 2 powerline, 1 upstairs for the PS3 (in another room), and one downstairs for a laptop. I personally saw a huge improvement in speed, i have no idea if the modem/router by ISP is bad but i saw a huge improvement. 

On wi-fi I was getting about 10Mb/s (my download is 60Mb/s), with Powerline i was getting 50Mb/s. 

So for me it was worth it. 

I would have gone for the wired route but would be too much hassle. And yes the laptop is old and wireless card is bad in there lol. 

But hope it helps :)

thats a huge improvement! i think im going to go with powerline :) thanks everyone

I've almost finished running cat6 through my house. It was quite a challenge getting it from upstairs to downstairs through the wall cavity as it's about 1.5cm thick..