March 14th 2014 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Better than Bieber Gagarin - First man in space Anniversary

Source 1: rt.com

n.b.: Pictures in article.

- On March 9th the first man in space would have turned.

- He went into space for a 108 minute flight on April 12th 1961.

- Yuri was born into a poor family on March 9, 1934.

- In 1955 he was called up for military service and sent to study aviation in Orenburg.

- On Dec 9th, 1959 he applied to join a squad for cosmonaut candidates.

- After his flight he was never allowed to fly into space again, something he dreamt of most of all.

- He was killed in a MiG-15UTI crash near the town of Kirzhach at the age of  34 while on routine training flight, on March 27th, 1968.

News Items Amazon Prime cost increase official

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: DLM_012

Source 2: www.theverge.com

Source 3: polygon.com

- Cost going up to $99 from $79 per year

- Goes into effect April 17th

- More items eligible for next day delivery

- Amazon Instant video included for all Prime users.

- Amazon is reported to be working on a music streaming service which could be bundled.

- Price was raised in UK and Germany earlier this year.

- Student price going from 39 to 49. Still a sweet deal...

pCell - New wireless standard

Source 1: businessinsider.com

- Made by a startup called “Artemis” founded in 2011.

- Could “leapfrog” 4G.

- Many uncertainties about it as with all new disruptive tech.

- Instead of a main “cell tower” pCell relies on many small “boxes” called pWaves.

- A user can combine the signal from many pWaves to get a full signal at all times.

- A good signal could mean the signal is as much as a 1000 times faster than what we are used to.

- pWave transmitters use less power and your phone will need to use less power to get the signal.

- Costs far less to deploy than a cell tower.

- pCell will work with all LTE phones. Only pWave native phones will use less power though.

- Initial roll-out in Q4 2014 in San Francisco.

- more challenging possibly to get deployment permits for many people waves vs few cell towers?

Tesla banned in New Jersey

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: AlexGoesHigh

Source 2: theverge.com

Source 3: teslamotors.com

- Cars can still be sold by dealerships, just not directly by Tesla.

- Texas and Arizona have same law, however, in New Jersey the luxury vehicle market is currently booming.

- Tesla says it isn’t just about cutting out the middleman, it also wants to give buyers an “experience”.

- “Its an affront to the very concept of a free market” - Tesla.

Popcorn Time

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: TopWargamer

Source 2: cbc.ca

Source 3: getpopcornti.me/ (Popcorn Time website)

n.b.: Got closed down a couple of hours ago.

- Netflix for Pirates

- Uses bittorrent technology to stream between users.

- Once you start watching you will carry on seeding until you restart your PC, at that point the movie will be deleted from your hard drive. You have no control over seeding or the movie file, they are both hidden.

- You are presented with a grid of movie posters. Click on one to view the blurb, then choose 720p or 1080p and start watching. You need to wait about 30 seconds for the stream to buffer and it starts playing a very high quality movie.

- On their site they show very old public domain movies being listed. Obviously in reality it’s mostly 2013-2014 movies right now.

- You do get a very visible copyright warning when you launch the application.

- Financial risk to users is too small to be worried about using it, realistically you could be charged $100-$200, not worth it to chase individual users.

- http://getpopcornti.me/ - popcorn time has shut down

- seeding vs Netflix cost in places with good service is an interesting trade off.

-Their farewell post makes a very good point about it being more of an issue for other places

- POPCORN TIME SOURCE CODE IS HERE: https://github.com/popcorn-time

Haswell-E 5000 and X99 for Q2

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: MyInnerFred

Source 2: kitguru.net

- 8 cores with HT

- 20MB of L3 cache

- DDR4 Memory controller (2133MHz max clock speeds)

- 40 integrated PCI-E 3.0 lanes.

- Compatible with The new X99 chipset as well as LGA2011-3 socket.

- Very flexible tuning and overclocking capabilities

- Up to five devices in PCI Express 2.0/3.0 x8 mode

- X99 platform will include: 10 SATA 6B/s ports, 6 USB 3.0 ports.

Google Drive Prices Slashed

Source 1: zdnet.com

Source 2: arstechnica.com

Source 3: google.com (Page to buy it on with prices)

- When Google introduced Drive two years ago, it offered 5GB for free, 25GB for $2.49 per month, 100GB for $4.99 per month, and 1TB for $49.99 per month.

- 4x the data for 50cents less on the 100GB tier compared to Drive’s launch costs

- a lot cheaper than comparative services like Dropbox (5x the cost at 9.99/mo for 100GB).

- Shares storage with gmail.

Brazil - Europe Undersea Cable

Source 1: au.news.yahoo.com

- $185 million project.

- Made to shield Brazil’s Internet traffic from U.S. surveillance.

- Existing cable is outdated and only used for voice transmission.

- (Brazil’s President) Rousseff postponed her trip to Washington last year after NSA spied on her e-mails.

- Brazil relies on U.S. undersea cables to carry almost all of it’s communication to Europe.

- Telebras would have a 35% stake, Isla link will have a 45% stake and Eu + brazilian pension fund would put up the rest.

Google Search removes underlined links

Source 1: linustechtips.com

Source 2: theverge.com

- Google started 18 years ago and now is removing the last of the design.

- It’s a significant change to google, who rarely change their search engine design.

- Matches more touch friendly sites.

Microsoft and Google aren’t happy with mutant android/windows hybrids.

Source 1:  pcworld.com

- Microsoft may be comfortable with WIndows Phone and Android splitting on the same devices but forget about it on PCs.

- Google isn’t too thrilled with Windows-Android either.

- Mostly applies to AiO style tablets that can dock to a keyboard dock to become a PC, but when you take the screen on it’s own it runs android.

- Microsoft and Google refuse to allow asus' windows/Android devices. What a crock. -  rant-tastic topic here...

HTC One Smart Cover Leak

Source 1: theverge.com

Source 2: pocket-lint.com

- Twitter account; @evleaks posted the image

- The case can display information like time and weather.

- Available in multiple colours.

Google to encrypt your searches

Source 1: time.com

Source 2: forbes.com

- Already started in China

- “This builds on our work over the past few years to increase the number of our services that are encrypted by default and encourage the industry to adopt stronger security standards.”

- Similar to Google’s stand against only showing search results for government approved sites in China

- Eric Schmidt was quoted saying last year “I believe there’s a real chance that we can eliminate censorship and the possibility of censorship in a decade,”

- Also may have a monetization spin, could help protect against ISP’s replacing ads or collecting data to sell… which is a massive part of Google’s business

San Antonio City Council Approves Long Term “Master Lease” Agreement with Google Fiber

Source 1: mysanantonio.com

- Gives the company the ability to efficiently deploy some 40 “fiber huts” — 12-by-26-foot communications shelters.

- “When we get this, and I believe we will, I would like to request a San Antonio-themed Google homepage,” he said. “That would be really nice.”

- San Antonio owns “CPS Energy” which owns 86% of the utility poles allowing Google easy access… unfortunately ATT owns the other 14%.

- Will still be a long time coming, there is still many legal hoops to jump through and then there is construction time and testing

- Has not pinned down locations of the fiber huts yet but they are likely to be installed at libraries, fire and police stations and other city properties across San Antonio.

Razer Blade 14

Source 1: anandtech.com

- Chipset Intel HM87? Google TM87….(first link)

-  Intel Core i7-4702HQ quad core processor

- Touchscreen 14” QHD+ panel.

- NVIDIA GTX 870M

- 8GB of DDR3L-1600

No one likes you, Time Warner Cable...

Source 1:bgr.com

- A discount of roughly $60 per year on their home Internet service, subscribers could opt for a new service plan that capped their data at 30 gigabytes each billing period

- Thats a savings of $5/mo

- Time Warner Cable chairman and CEO Rob Marcus said that practically no subscribers took the ISP up on its offer for cheaper service with a data cap.

- Subscribers on the new service sit “in the thousands”

- Less than 1% of their 11 million strong customer base+

@Slick, at 34min when you talk about physical games coming back, with the reason that it takes too long to download on release day, that's the reason why steam has that preload feature :P. Everyone should adopt that in my opinion.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

@Slick, at 34min when you talk about physical games coming back, with the reason that it takes too long to download on release day, that's the reason why steam has that preload feature :P. Everyone should adopt that in my opinion.

@Slick It would take me a month to download titanfall ! -_-

@40mins: @Slick It's like Person Of Interest ! more than Batman  :P  :D

Linus, why did you captured your screen sharing in interlaced mode?, interlaced scan should die in a fire.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Time warner pls..

So now i pay 30$ for 100up/100down and unlimited data cap. If my ISP offered me to pay half price but get 30 gig data cap, screw them. I download at least 500 gigs of data every month

heh data caps... still dealing with them in australia

Yeah, the better than Bieber is still too much Bieber.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

What is this after party they were talking about? They said they will be right back but the video is over.

@LinusTech You butchered my name.... T.T My Inner Fred

RSg3vx1.gif

Haswell-E is also misspelled on the video description btw.(sorry for being a accuracy bastard)

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I was shocked to see you guys laughing about 30gb data caps. I will just leave theses links here from the only ISP covering my area (and most of Australia).

http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/mobile-broadband/prepaid/

http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/mobile-broadband/plans/

For the record, going pre-paid is the only option if you want more than their 25gb/$160 per month plan.

No there is no ADSL available as there is no physical copper lines to the houses. Phone land lines use radio towers.

Nice show. Also enjoyed the garage sale haha! I think you could even get away with selling your toe nails. Not sure on the laws about that...but still lol

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I miss the covered wall, behind on the right.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

the isp situation i can only be sorry for every1 dealing with it, i havn't seen that kind of thinking around here for a decade, 2 isp have alredy set up 1gb connections and the ideas of caps are starting to be thrown away even by mobile companies.

as for your popcorn, piracy disscussion as always it is crude and lacking. the nr1 reason is proven to be distribution, the secon income.

i earn a decent wage and even i havn't ever considered buying a game on day 1. Steam sales, discounts, bundles and trades, never 50-60-100$, its stupidity. Especialy when u compare wages. If u go like u just did and tell a person in China, India, parts of Europe, South america, Russia, even in NA  ... that if they like a game to just buy it and spend 50$ on it when they make ~2-300$ a month... even at 30$ its to high when its a third of rent for some

i'm hopping thats not what you thought cuz... i dnt even... no. The best way i can consider your view on the subject is narrow.

So I was a little late getting to watch the show, only getting to it today. So I was watching the archive, and got to the point where Slick says to go ahead and look up TM87. I figure why not, I don't normally but, as a person that looks to Pokemon for nostalgia sometimes, I did. 

post-62786-0-73687600-1395029039_thumb.p

Since the WAN show aired on the 14th, TM87 has become the only TM on the suggestions, and note that these are not suggestions for previously searched TMs. We should become the new Anonymous. With blackjack. And hookers. 

Spoiler

CPU: AMD 5800X

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 3070 Ti

SSD: WD SN850X 4TB x2

MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Master B550

Case: Fractal Torrent

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

I think google did this for Microsoft but not Ubuntu because Ubuntu is free unlike windows