GPU won't work for Folding@home

Go to solution Solved by Whaler_99,

If you do know how to isolate the Log (checkmark so it only shows the one you want) copy and paste it here, that way we can go through it all.

As for deleting/adding - if you click the Configure you can then go into the Slots tab, choose the GPU on and delete it. Save and reboot system. Go back into Configure, slots, Add - check the radial button for GPU, leave all defaults. Save. GPU slot should be back, give it a few hours...

Hey everyone, my gpu won't fold on folding at home for some reason. I've had the program running for over 12 hours and have seen no results or progress with the gpu. The gpu has also been trying to run while on medium when my computer isn't idling(or at least I think it isn't cuz I'm using it). Is this fixable or is this something I'll just have to deal with? I literally just started folding last night and I'm a noob, but I did try to use some of the "tips and tricks" stuff from this forum.

I'm running:

-core i7 870

-ATI Radeon HD 5570

-6GB RAM

-1TB HDD

post-44631-0-25135400-1394804171.png

Evil exists where good men fail to act.

I use the F@H screensaver, and after the screensaver is active it should start folding...

EDIT: And I think you have to have it set to full in order for the GPU to fold.

@Whaler_99 is the master of this.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I use the F@H screensaver, and after the screensaver is active it should start folding...

In the picture he has it on full so it should be folding.

well since you do have it but isn't running try and deleting the GPU slot and re adding it back.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

see those 3 tabs above the load slider? status, system info, log, click on the log tab then click on show only the gpu slot, should be 00, see what the log says about what your gpu is doing or failing to do.

it's wierd though because to me it looks like your gpu is folding but your cpu is not, slot 00 is working but 01 isn't, then again your picture shows your gpu not working ..

The f@h screensaver works briefly for me, then my computer comes out of idle for some reason... other screen savers are working fine though.

In the picture he has it on full so it should be folding.

well since you do have it but isn't running try and deleting the GPU slot and re adding it back.

ok I'll try and figure out how to do that.

see those 3 tabs above the load slider? status, system info, log, click on the log tab then click on show only the gpu slot, should be 00, see what the log says about what your gpu is doing or failing to do.

it's wierd though because to me it looks like your gpu is folding but your cpu is not, slot 00 is working but 01 isn't, then again your picture shows your gpu not working ..

It keeps ending the script saying it's "interrupted" and then tries to restart which it then fails again at.

My cpu is folding but the gpu isn't. I think you might be confused from my screen shot because the gpu is slot 00 but it's in the working queue as 01.

If you do know how to isolate the Log (checkmark so it only shows the one you want) copy and paste it here, that way we can go through it all.

As for deleting/adding - if you click the Configure you can then go into the Slots tab, choose the GPU on and delete it. Save and reboot system. Go back into Configure, slots, Add - check the radial button for GPU, leave all defaults. Save. GPU slot should be back, give it a few hours...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

My cpu is folding but the gpu isn't. I think you might be confused from my screen shot because the gpu is slot 00 but it's in the working queue as 01.

i saw, because screw logic right? :P

This is what I was talking about:

gpu 0 -gpu-vendor ati

15:35:10:WU01:FS00:Started FahCore on PID 6356

15:35:10:WU01:FS00:Core PID:3792

15:35:10:WU01:FS00:FahCore 0x17 started

15:35:11:FS00:Shutting core down

15:35:12:WU01:FS00:0x17:*********************** Log Started 2014-03-14T15:35:12Z ***********************

15:35:12:WU01:FS00:0x17:Project: 8900 (Run 489, Clone 13, Gen 3)

15:35:12:WU01:FS00:0x17:Unit: 0x0000000c028c126652b4eb81e42ec8fe

15:35:12:WU01:FS00:0x17:CPU: 0x00000000000000000000000000000000

15:35:12:WU01:FS00:0x17:Machine: 0

15:35:12:WU01:FS00:0x17:Digital signatures verified

15:35:12:WU01:FS00:0x17:Folding@home GPU core17

15:35:12:WU01:FS00:0x17:Version 0.0.52

15:36:12:WARNING:FS00:Killing WU01

15:36:12:WU01:FS00:FahCore returned: INTERRUPTED (102 = 0x66)

And when you say reboot system, I'm assuming you mean restart my computer not just the program?

ok, because you have an older card, it may not be able to process this WU, where newer cards could.

Exit out of FAH client. Got to Program... Folding and choose the shortcut to go to the data directory. In there is a folder called work. In there are folders that correspond to the Slot numbers. Delete the slot number for your GPU.

Restart FAH - should download a new WU for the GPU (hopefully not same) and then see what happens.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

ok, because you have an older card, it may not be able to process this WU, where newer cards could.

Exit out of FAH client. Got to Program... Folding and choose the shortcut to go to the data directory. In there is a folder called work. In there are folders that correspond to the Slot numbers. Delete the slot number for your GPU.

Restart FAH - should download a new WU for the GPU (hopefully not same) and then see what happens.

Ok I've done all that now... It's now working on a different WU and Fah Core 17 is showing up now in processes on task manager (it wasn't before), but in the requirements in the log for the gpu it says "Requirements: single Nvidia GPU" ...I don't have one

Also I'm going to let it run for a bit and see what  happens.

Ok I've done all that now... It's now working on a different WU and Fah Core 17 is showing up now in processes on task manager (it wasn't before), but in the requirements in the log for the gpu it says "Requirements: single Nvidia GPU" ...I don't have one

Also I'm going to let it run for a bit and see what  happens.

Don't worry about that NVidia junk, some test stuff in there for NVidia temp controls.

Do you have any Flags set on your GPU slot, like the beta or advanced ones?

Don't worry about that NVidia junk, some test stuff in there for NVidia temp controls.

Do you have any Flags set on your GPU slot, like the beta or advanced ones?

I put in the advanced ones on for both cpu and gpu

Ok... remove em. :) The advance one for CPU doesn't do anything, and you don't want the advanced one for GPU - core 17 is in general release. Advance Flag means you could get test WU's that may or may not work....

Ok, they've been removed

ok so after about 5 hours on full, in the log it says my gpu has folded 2%, but in its status bar it's still showing as 0% with all its estimates unknown still... Is this normal not to see any progress in the status area? cuz I've noticed with the cpu it usually updates the status area after 1%... Other than that everything seems to be working now thanks :)

It's up and running completely now!!! Thank you everyone for helping and an extra special thank you to Whaler_99 for your legendary expertise! I shall fold forever now, so expect to see me with that badge in a couple weeks :D

Glad it all sorted out :)