Samsung Magician Settings

Gummy

Out of curiosity, what do you guys have your settings at for your SSD? Do you use Over Provisioning? Do you keep RAPID Mode enabled or disabled? For OS Optimization do you use one of the three given presets or do you set your own in advanced, and if so what do you set it to and why? One part that confuses me with Magician is the OS Optimization, under the advanced tab I get to choose what is enabled, and what isn't. However it isn't completely specific. Rather than saying "Activated" or "Deactivated" it uses "Activate" and "Deactivate" so does this mean if I see "Deactivate" that it is currently active? Yeah? I think but just confirming. Like here for example, if I see this, this means prefetch is deactivated, and write cache is enabled? 

2014-03-12_2003.png

Deactivate the bottom one for max performance.

I click the deactivate and it toggles to activate, then I click apply all and it loads for a second and then goes back to looking like that, saying deactivate :S

EDIT: Went and did it manually and that worked.

I click the deactivate and it toggles to activate, then I click apply all and it loads for a second and then goes back to looking like that, saying deactivate :S

EDIT: Went and did it manually and that worked.

I was joking. Please make everything back the way it was.

I was joking. Please make everything back the way it was.

I didn't deactivate it, lol, but indeed samsung magician wasn't letting me set any of the settings via their software (just reset to what it was before after I hit apply) so I went and did it all manually, including making sure write caching was enabled, which it already was haha. I took your reply as a make sure Magician says "deactivate" meaning it was "active" since they use dumb terms like "activate" and "deactivate" rather than just stating whether you have it set to active or not. I was tired at the time and the joke seemed to go over my head though xD.

• 9 months later...
Since googling about Samsung Magician Advanced OS Optimization leads to this thread, I'll add some points here.

Samsung Magician has some translation imperfections, which makes some settings in Samsung Magician hard to understand (incomprehensible), especially in OS Optimization – Advanced tab.

An easy way to understand how buttons in Samsung Magician Advanced tab work is to enable hidden system files, go to the root of system C drive, and look at creation and deletion of hiberfil.sys file when Hibernation Mode is activated or deactivated in Samsung Magician Advanced tab.

1. You can Apply Maximum Performance, Maximum Capacity, Maximum Reliability tabs and see what functions were activated or deactivated in Advanced tab. Advanced tab uses a little bit awkward style by showing the opposite of the current status, i.e. Activate means that currently this feature is deactivated and Deactivate means that the feature is currently activated.  

2. Changes that you make in Advanced tab by pressing Activate or Deactivate buttons are instant and don’t require pressing Apply All button. For instance, pressing Activate button of Hibernation Mode instantly creates hiberfil.sys in the root of system C drive and button name is changed to Deactivate. On the other hand, pressing Deactivate button, instantly removes hiberfil.sys from the root of system C drive and button name is changed to Activate.

3. You don’t need to press and you shouldn’t press Apply All button in Advanced tab once you finish manually settings the features, because it changes the values to default ones designed by the developers, for instance it Activates (button name is changed to Deactivate) Hibernation Mode.

4. If the combination of settings that you’ve made in Samsung Magician Advanced tab is the same as predefined modes in Apply Maximum Performance, Maximum Capacity or Maximum Reliability tabs, Current Status: name will be changed from Advanced to that particular mode name.

5. In Samsung Magician Advanced OS Optimization: 

"Deactivate" button deactivates Prefetch / Superfetch.

"Activate" button activates Prefetch / Superfetch.

For SSDs Prefetch / Superfetch should be disabled.

Here is how you can check that the Superfetch is really disabled in Windows:

Open Run dialog (Win + R) - Type services.msc + Enter to open the Services Manager - Scroll down to Superfetch service - Double-click on it to open it Properties box - The startup type should be Disabled.

Example showing how to interpret Samsung Magician Advanced tab settings:

dnJ6Gpk.png?1

Buttons are showing the opposite status of the current state.  Clicking the button will set it to the state that it is showing. Currently the settings shown in the image mean this:

Hibernation Mode:                   OFF

Indexing Service:                     OFF

Prefetch:                                  OFF

Write Cache Buffer:                 ON

Write-Cache Buffer Flushing:   ON