Pono

Laptopgamer

well , if it really plays FLAC then no doubt it will sound good , prolly not too much better than my sansa clip etc that will worth spending the extra money on them. Since the shape sucks , why in the world would i put a triangular dildo mp3 in my pocket , ever.

Sound is far to subjective for me to just take a bunch of peoples word for it. I have already read articles on "myths" of audio its rather boring. I would rather hear for myself, which doesn't seem like a option right now.

There are plenty of online tests you can do to see if you can tell the difference.  Or you could just get your own cd and rip it to several different bitrates and give yourself a blind test using the foobar plug in.  Then you'll know for yourself (without spending money) that it's just not worth chasing the extra bits as they don't add anything to the sound.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 2 weeks later...

somewhat necro, but the Pono thing was brought up again and I went to the page to see how many people actually supported this 300$ magicbox and something caught my eye.

I'm sure quite a few of you can tell what they're listening with and can pass adequate judgement about the product, the advertisement campaign, and how serious you should take this.

The happy faces of consumers: 

138b20e3fb3de2d78f9d83430e9ec570_large.j

33eabfd00902d7cea0e800479bce62aa_large.j

Error: 410

somewhat necro, but the Pono thing was brought up again and I went to the page to see how many people actually supported this 300$ magicbox and something caught my eye.

I'm sure quite a few of you can tell what they're listening with and can pass adequate judgement about the product, the advertisement campaign, and how serious you should take this.

[pics and it did happen]

post-2468-0-95335400-1396148548.jpg

Thanks Helping for an awesomely detailed response, that certainly cleared up a few things I was slightly confused about, and might just have saved me $300 xD. It's totally crazy that so many supposedly "great music personalities/celebrities etc" would recommend this however I am highly convinced by your response, which matches up with all of the other opinions here.

And good luck with that test  ;)

Don't be so quick to totally dismiss it. Could it look like an over promise directed at folks who give the page just cursory look, sure, but the people who can't be bothered to listen to the entirety of what they are being told before spending three hundred plus on a device deserve what they get. All throughout the kickster page they repeat that this is geared to the audiophile and if you have things like substandard headphones than you are not getting the full value of the device.

Price is also important to mention because it is on par with the IPod if not better because each unit comes with 64 GB of storage and a micro ssd that can be swapped in and out. So for a hundred bucks less than than the latest generation IPod with half the storage space you can have a portable player capable playing high quality music. Whether you take full advantage of all it's abilities is up to you. In that same vein I should also mention they have come out and already said you can use it on iTunes and all of you already purchased music from there.

Hope this helps a little. :)

No one ever said all marketers were smart. ;)

No one ever said all marketers were smart. ;)

you're kidding, right?

this is literally all you're given to act on

Who do you think approves and does marketing for a kickerstarter project? It's certainly not a BestBuy associate. 

I'm humoring you right now and the slightest doubt is giving me an intense surge of emotion that I simply cannot put into words.

I can't believe people would give money to this.

Ikr where r the beets at am i right?

"The internet is a series of tubes"

you're kidding, right?

this is literally all you're given to act on

Who do you think approves and does marketing for a kickerstarter project? It's certainly not a BestBuy associate. 

I'm humoring you right now and the slightest doubt is giving me an intense surge of emotion that I simply cannot put into words.

I'm sorry, I was talking about the cheapness of the buds not the brand. I forget sometimes how deep a chord that stuff strikes with this crowd and I get it but I try not to be overly knee jerk in my opinions based on the company you keep. Your actions mean more to me. Now does that mean I could be setting myself up for disappointment down the line? Maybe. But I'd rather give the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong by the product in question rather than the past of the company they keep and as a start up sometimes beggars can't be choosers in all regards, especially in the beginning of such a large undertaking.

Plus, I should mention on the kickstarter page itself those pics are not the only info you are given and at the moment that is the only place you can buy a Pono player. Though I would posit that if you did spend a few hundred bucks without any further research than looking at those pics then you deserve what you get.

Anyhoo, the original post was just poking fun of the individual whose job it was to make the advertisement, Sony affiliated or not. I mean while I'm no Sony fanboy, there must be something better than the cheapest buds they make available. Someone was asleep at the wheel.

Ikr where r the beets at am i right?

Yes.

I'm sorry, I was talking about the cheapness of the buds not the brand. I forget sometimes how deep a chord that stuff strikes with this crowd and I get it but I try not to be overly knee jerk in my opinions based on the company you keep. Your actions mean more to me. Now does that mean I could be setting myself up for disappointment down the line? Maybe. But I'd rather give the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong by the product in question rather than the past of the company they keep and as a start up sometimes beggars can't be choosers in all regards, especially in the beginning of such a large undertaking.

Plus, I should mention on the kickstarter page itself those pics are not the only info you are given and at the moment that is the only place you can buy a Pono player. Though I would posit that if you did spend a few hundred bucks without any further research than looking at those pics then you deserve what you get.

Anyhoo, the original post was just poking fun of the individual whose job it was to make the advertisement, Sony affiliated or not. I mean while I'm no Sony fanboy, there must be something better than the cheapest buds they make available. Someone was asleep at the wheel.

Wait, are you saying you actually gave your money to this stupid project?

The page is a lot of text, very little content. Not much more than "it does the things and is better." The video itself tells you nothing either. 

..I'm not sure I follow the rest of what you're talking about, and what of Sony? You mean Apple? Hell if it were Sony that would probably have been better. 

And are you saying you went and bought one? (damn ninja above)

will reply when i'm more coherent

The page is a lot of text, very little content. Not much more than "it does the things and is better." The video itself tells you nothing either. 

..I'm not sure I follow the rest of what you're talking about

And are you saying you went and bought one? (damn ninja above)

You know what, I get the feeling I didn't follow what you were getting at earlier either so no worries. Just ignore the part you didn't follow, odds are it was just a bunch of blather anyways. ;-)

As for the kickstarter being inferior because it it utilizes a fair bit of text and doesn't go into the granule details of how the equipment works seems a little unfair. From what I got out of the whole presentation, they don't seem to claim to be creating a ground breaking piece of tech. Rather, their whole schtick is they wanted to create something convenient that was full out geared towards audiophile quality music. So think iPod with way more storage, which is what you would need if you wanted to listen to more uncompressed music on the go. Now would I pay 7 or 8 hundred usd for this, hell no, but for the same amount I'd spend on a new iPod, yes.

And lastly, yes I spent money on this. So what? I don't think I appreciate the tone of some of the folks here that decided not to spend on this to those who did. The people who disagree with you are not by extension stupid for disagreeing and I'll thank you all for not implying that we are. I also spent 200 usd on Klipsch earbuds are you going to razz me for that too? A reasonable counter argument can be made imho and should not necessarily shouted down and completely dismissed.

And lastly, yes I spent money on this. So what? I don't think I appreciate the tone of some of the folks here that decided not to spend on this to those who did. The people who disagree with you are not by extension stupid for disagreeing and I'll thank you all for not implying that we are. I also spent 200 usd on Klipsch earbuds are you going to razz me for that too? A reasonable counter argument can be made imho and should not necessarily shouted down and completely dismissed.

In my mind it isn't worth the money.

Make a "reasonable counter argument" if you want, but comparing them to iPods doesn't help your case in my eyes.

Edited by MG2R
Please do lose the attitude.

I wouldn't care what was written on the side, There is no way anyone is going to be able to tell this from most other PMP's in a blind test.  I wouldn't spend more than $50 on a PMP.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.