Pono

Laptopgamer

I Don't get it. They're just using studio recording. if you downgrade it to a 320 mp3, for the most sounds the same. Hell. The only reason I "pirate" music is for the vinyl masters.

they sound better even if you get them at whatever bullshit they say they are. 96/48/196 etc etc, i just turn them into mp3 and I can't tell the diff for the most part. 

Alot of what they said in the video is, "mp3 and cds are shit geting the master tapes at 192/24bit sounds better" and they're right. turn to an mp3 or whatever you want and you're good. most people know vinyl/tape masters sound better than the CD masters. 

I guess what I'm saying is. They're going back to vinyl masters for the "digital" music and that why they think it sounds better and even people said in the video "wow i haven't heard anything like this since vinyl" 

TL;DR PEOPLE LIKE VINYL MASTERS THAN CD MASTERS AND WE NEED A BETTER WAY TO BUY VINYL MASTERS ONLINE.

I Don't get it. They're just using studio recording. if you downgrade it to a 320 mp3, for the most sounds the same. Hell. The only reason I "pirate" music is for the vinyl masters.

they sound better even if you get them at whatever bullshit they say they are. 96/48/196 etc etc, i just turn them into mp3 and I can't tell the diff for the most part. 

Alot of what they said in the video is, "mp3 and cds are shit geting the master tapes at 192/24bit sounds better" and they're right. turn to an mp3 or whatever you want and you're good. most people know vinyl/tape masters sound better than the CD masters. 

I guess what I'm saying is. They're going back to vinyl masters for the "digital" music and that why they think it sounds better and even people said in the video "wow i haven't heard anything like this since vinyl" 

TL;DR PEOPLE LIKE VINYL MASTERS THAN CD MASTERS AND WE NEED A BETTER WAY TO BUY VINYL MASTERS ONLINE.

There are some shit vilnyl masters as well, however it's interesting to note most vinyl was originally recorded on one inch tape with a digital equivalence of 13bits.   If they are increasing the originals to 24bits then they are effectively artificially doubling the dynamic ranges for zero gain. Pop goes the argument of bit depth and sample rates for using the original masters.

And as far as sample rates go I have yet to find an authority on the conversions, I have yet to see evidence that magnetic tape is even close to a 192Khz sample rate as far as a time based resolution goes. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

There are some shit vilnyl masters as well, however it's interesting to note most vinyl was originally recorded on one inch tape with a digital equivalence of 13bits.   If they are increasing the originals to 24bits then they are effectively artificially doubling the dynamic ranges for zero gain. Pop goes the argument of bit depth and sample rates for using the original masters.

And as far as sample rates go I have yet to find an authority on the conversions, I have yet to see evidence that magnetic tape is even close to a 192Khz sample rate as far as a time based resolution goes. 

Yeah, most shit vinyl masters are newer, I like my music how i like my women, Over 20, If you can find albums Nevermind vinyl master online (its not hard to find) it sounds by far better than anything you can buy online or even the cd, even if you turn into a mp3.  Or hell, A really good one is Fleetwood Mac Rumors, The current Itunes or cd master hell even the CD master from about 20 years ago I think is the one I have, sounds NOTHING like the old vinyl master. 

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Wait? He's STILL at it?

That's the same player he showed off on the Colbert report.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Wait? He's STILL at it?

That's the same player he showed off on the Colbert report.

They mentioned it in the kickstarter...

It also seems like they plan to make a lot of money through selling different quality FLAC files, racking up income on people who aren't familiar with extreme diminishing return to the eerz.

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

It also seems like they plan to make a lot of money through selling different quality FLAC files, racking up income on people who aren't familiar with extreme diminishing return to the eerz.

Capitalism fool, an uneducated consumer makes a snake oil business happy. 

Capitalism fool, an uneducated consumer makes a snake oil business happy. 

That's why the best scenario for any country is capitalism, really good education system (non-political/bipartisan managed) and freedom of speech.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That's why the best scenario for any country is capitalism, really good education system (non-political/partisan* managed) and freedom of speech.

Needs more then two parties to work right, and Washington said it best, shouldn't have any parties. 

listen here u scrubs, no creating political frats and circlejerks, it's going to ruin this here government thing I built.  I'm tired of this shit and going to go home now, someone else put up with this job.

forming political parties seemed like the only logical thing to do succeeding that.

Error: 410

Needs more then two parties to work right, and Washington said it best, shouldn't have any parties. 

True capitalism needs no government at all.

I was reading through this post and I have a question for the more experienced and knowledgeable. When I saw this I wasn't excited about the player at all, I was excited that it could provide a push for better quality recordings. Have you ever noticed that some music is recorded in such a way that is sounds better than anything else in the genre? I have a theory that people can't tell the difference between very high quality flac files because they don't put the effort to make it sound better. If you skip to 8:45 in the video you'll see what I mean. That is coming from an artist in the studio, that there's no point in making it sound better when they won't hear it.

TL;DR: I thought if people care more outside of audiophiles then studios could put out better quality recordings on the ponomusic site; therefore you'll have better sounding music. Is this plausible?

I was reading through this post and I have a question for the more experienced and knowledgeable. When I saw this I wasn't excited about the player at all, I was excited that it could provide a push for better quality recordings. Have you ever noticed that some music is recorded in such a way that is sounds better than anything else in the genre? I have a theory that people can't tell the difference between very high quality flac files because they don't put the effort to make it sound better. If you skip to 8:45 in the video you'll see what I mean. That is coming from an artist in the studio, that there's no point in making it sound better when they won't hear it.

TL;DR: I thought if people care more outside of audiophiles then studios could put out better quality recordings on the ponomusic site; therefore you'll have better sounding music. Is this plausible?

Well, someone might not even have resources to get the stuff needed to actually record and mix nice sounding stuff. Or they mix what THEY think sound good, you might not think it sounds good then. Also, most music is made in higher quality files, and CD's are high quality, but MP3 below 250 or so kbps might not sound good, although most people won't be able to tell the difference between 320 kbps MP3 and FLAC files.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I doubt that'll actually happen. There's no reason for studios to release a "good" quality recording to one site, and "bad" quality recordings to other sites.

Well, someone might not even have resources to get the stuff needed to actually record and mix nice sounding stuff. Or they mix what THEY think sound good, you might not think it sounds good then. Also, most music is made in higher quality files, and CD's are high quality, but MP3 below 250 or so kbps might not sound good, although most people won't be able to tell the difference between 320 kbps MP3 and FLAC files.

The reason that people don't have the equipment to record and mix nice sounding stuff could be in part to the low standards that we currently have. If there was more demand for recording devices that recorded at 192khz/24bit then perhaps it would be more affordable?

I doubt that'll actually happen. There's no reason for studios to release a "good" quality recording to one site, and "bad" quality recordings to other sites.

The questioned wasn't if it is plausible for them to release it but rather if you "can't hear the difference between 16bit/44.1khz and flac 24bit/192khz" due to the lower standards of recording. After all you can hear whats not there to begin with.

I can see them doing this if it actually makes a difference. Its more expensive to release Vinyl than a cd yet a lot of bands do it. I am not expert but it would appear to be more work to make vinyls rather then sending a file through an algorithm.

The reason that people don't have the equipment to record and mix nice sounding stuff could be in part to the low standards that we currently have. If there was more demand for recording devices that recorded at 192khz/24bit then perhaps it would be more affordable?

I doubt there would be much of an audible difference..

The questioned wasn't if it is plausible for them to release it but rather if you "can't hear the difference between 16bit/44.1khz and flac 24bit/192khz" due to the lower standards of recording. After all you can hear whats not there to begin with.

I can see them doing this if it actually makes a difference. Its more expensive to release Vinyl than a cd yet a lot of bands do it. I am not expert but it would appear to be more work to make vinyls rather then sending a file through an algorithm.

Vinyls have worse-than-CD potential quality, but are often mastered better. Good mastering is much more important than file format capabilities much like good headphones/speakers are much more important than DAC and amp specs.

There is no audible difference between any files above 40kHz/16bit, unless of course it's worse due to subsonic/supersonic frequencies causing too much distortion in your playback hardware.

I doubt there would be much of an audible difference..

I don't know. I have not been able to get a hold of files that are 24bit/96khz to compare to 16bit/44.1khz for a comparison myself. Torrents aren't really reliable for that, but nothing really is. How would you know if it isn't just up-sampled and not original full quality? How would you know that the hardware and software aren't being created to standards of true 24bit/192khz since it will be just compressed anyway, HOW DO YOU KNOW!?!?!

Vinyls have worse-than-CD potential quality, but are often mastered better. Good mastering is much more important than file format capabilities much like good headphones/speakers are much more important than DAC and amp specs.

There is no audible difference between any files above 40kHz/16bit, unless of course it's worse due to subsonic/supersonic frequencies causing too much distortion in your playback hardware

I always wondered about Vinyls it doesn't really make sense how they are "better" quality when they are going through physical means. They have a different sound but aren't necessarily "better quality".

I don't know. I have not been able to get a hold of files that are 24bit/96khz to compare to 16bit/44.1khz for a comparison myself. Torrents aren't really reliable for that, but nothing really is. How would you know if it isn't just up-sampled and not original full quality? How would you know that the hardware and software aren't being created to standards of true 24bit/192khz since it will be just compressed anyway, HOW DO YOU KNOW!?!?!

dunno if it's just me who's tired as F, but most of what you just wrote didn't make sense, at least to me.

I always wondered about Vinyls it doesn't really make sense how they are "better" quality when they are going through physical means. They have a different sound but aren't necessarily "better quality".

Basically the only people who think vinyl is better quality are simple minded audiophiles who are easily fooled and the uneducated. 

I had a cd once that was reordered and mastered at 24 bit. Whilst I don't have another copy of that recording that was done a 16bit I can tell you there is nothing in the recording that stands out as special or different.  Also ethan Winner talks about recording at 16 and 24 bit in some detail in the myths video that is linked in the FAQ. That's worth looking at.

Basically the only people who think vinyl is better quality are simple minded audiophiles who are easily fooled and the uneducated. 

I had a cd once that was reordered and mastered at 24 bit. Whilst I don't have another copy of that recording that was done a 16bit I can tell you there is nothing in the recording that stands out as special or different.  Also ethan Winner talks about recording at 16 and 24 bit in some detail in the myths video that is linked in the FAQ. That's worth looking at.

Sound is far to subjective for me to just take a bunch of peoples word for it. I have already read articles on "myths" of audio its rather boring. I would rather hear for myself, which doesn't seem like a option right now.

dunno if it's just me who's tired as F, but most of what you just wrote didn't make sense, at least to me.

You're probably right; the grammar was atrocious. I am too lazy today to be meticulous about proper sentence structure.

Sound is far to subjective for me to just take a bunch of peoples word for it. I have already read articles on "myths" of audio its rather boring. I would rather hear for myself, which doesn't seem like a option right now.

Well if it's boring for you, then you're not interested enough! ;) Also, when it comes to the topic we're on right now, it's not really subjective at all.. I hardly doubt anyone would prefer a 64 kbps MP3 song to a 320 kbps one, really. and mr moose here has been working with audio for many years, I trust him to know what he's talking about, and have heaps of knowledge about it.