Advice to properly test my Internet connection

Ethnod

So I've been having this back and forth argument with my ISP for months now and unfortunately I am stuck with them as they are the best of a bad bunch in my area :/

So it boils down to speed. They say that there is nothing wrong and yet my testing says otherwise but they say that they are monitoring it and see no issues but I cant seem to test it consistently

So, I was hoping that someone knew of software I could leave on the PC and have it test my connection on a regular basis, like once an hour or 3 times an hour over a week period so I could then go to them with proof and ask them to provide the stats on their monitoring and compare.

I have looked and so far I can find nothing other than a website based system.

Any ideas?

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

you could ask the ISP if the have a "iperf" server where you can test your speeds. if they do, then ask for the IP and ports. (that's how a technician would test the connection from your home)

if they have iperf then ill tell you how it works, no point in explaining it if they don't have it :)

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

My router has a diagnostics panel that has a test like you discribe that can run forever if you wanted to. maybe your router has the same option.

I7 2600k @ 4,5GHz - 16GB Kingston 1600Mhz RAM - Asus Sabertooth P67 - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - 2x Caviar Black 1TB - ADATA 80GB Boot SSD - Club3D 7870 XT - 42" Panasonic 3D Led TV - 22" Samsung SyncMaster

Who runs the net in Ireland because i know that whenever i see Ireland and internet speed in the same chat i know its going to be bad. If you're on ADSL and in Ireland then don't expect more than 4Mbps ask them to replace your phone line and master socket. Also do you live the the city or country?

"There's no test like production!"

Who runs the net in Ireland because i know that whenever i see Ireland and internet speed in the same chat i know its going to be bad. If you're on ADSL and in Ireland then don't expect more than 4Mbps ask them to replace your phone line and master socket. Also do you live the the city or country?

I live in the country but still within reach of Dublin (the capital). My connection is supposed to be between 16-24 but I am getting 6-10 (average around 8) and anything below 12 they say they are supposed to reduce the price and yes its ADSL. And they wont be replacing the master socket or the line as Eircom (the national provider) owns the line coming in to the house

The ISP is Magnet Entertainment

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Ethnod, on 04 May 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

I live in the country but still within reach of Dublin (the capital). My connection is supposed to be between 16-24 but I am getting 6-10 (average around 8) and anything below 12 they say they are supposed to reduce the price and yes its ADSL. And they wont be replacing the master socket or the line as Eircom (the national provider) owns the line coming in to the house

The ISP is Magnet Entertainment

Thats a joke they won't replace your gear, can you get your service from Eircom or do they only use resellers. If you speak to them again ask them to re-sync your phone line if they don't i ask to speak to a manager because it sounds like you're talking to F*cking idiots, if that has already been done they i would say get the gear need replacing claim after bad weather your line speed drop and you think the phoneline has been damage then they will be force to test it.

"There's no test like production!"

Thats a joke they won't replace your gear, can you get your service from Eircom or do they only use resellers. If you speak to them again ask them to re-sync your phone line if they don't i ask to speak to a manager because it sounds like you're talking to F*cking idiots, if that has already been done they i would say get the gear need replacing claim after bad weather your line speed drop and you think the phoneline has been damage then they will be force to test it.

Eircom are 100 time worse, trust me. Magnet are the best out of a bad bunch :/

I know I can either get them to do something or even just reduce my monthly cost if I can get my own tests that they cant argue with but without being able to reliably test the line on a regular basis I cant see how. If anyone knows of any software I was asking about at the start that would be great