Amazon court argument : you do not own your Prime Video purchases ; what is bought is an on-demand viewing licence

WkdPaul

Summary

Amazon filled a motion to dismiss a lawsuit about Prime Video purchases, saying their ToS are clear ; Prime Video purchases are an on-demand viewing licence, you don't own the movie / TV show that was purchased.

Quotes

Amanda Caudel in April sued Amazon for unfair competition and false advertising. She claims the company "secretly reserves the right" to end consumers' access to content purchased through its Prime Video service. She filed her putative class action on behalf of herself and any California residents who purchased video content from the service from April 25, 2016 to present.

[...]

When an Amazon Prime Video user buys content on the platform, what they're really paying for is a limited license for “on-demand viewing over an indefinite period of time” and they're warned of that in the company's terms of use. That's the company's argument for why a lawsuit over hypothetical future deletions of content should be dismissed.

My thoughts

Not surprised that's what they're pushing, Prime Video is a subscription based service, if you or Amazon stop your subscription, you won't have access to your purchases anyway. I'm interested in how the court case is going to evolve, the plaintifs are claiming false advertising, and I see their point ; on Prime Video, the "purchase" option does look like you're buying a digital version of the movie, not a licence that could be revoked.

And with that, I'm wondering what happens if something you purchased get taken down, can you get a refund?

Sources

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/amazon-argues-users-dont-actually-own-purchased-prime-video-content

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/amazon-argues-prime-video-customers-dont-own-purchased-content

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/10/28/amazon-says-users-dont-own-content-bought-on-prime-video

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

And with that, I'm wondering what happens if something you purchased get taken down, can you get a refund?

what if they did something like audible and you could trade your now no longer available series or movie, for one of equal value?

dont know about profit magins tho

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

I'm sure there's some contractual outline in the TOS and who reads that anyway? So I doubt Amazon will have trouble winning this case

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

This is why I like digital copies (ie the file mp4 or what ever) or physical copies.

not viewing though said app

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

I see their point ; on Prime Video, the "purchase" option does look like you're buying a digital version of the movie, not a licence that could be revoked.

If there's no way to download the media and play it outside of Prime then you don't own that media. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, Monkey Dust said:

DVDs & Blurays may be old school, but they have their advantages. 

even digital copies of music

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

5 minutes ago, Velcade said:

If there's no way to download the media and play it outside of Prime then you don't own that media. 

Agreed, but that's a distinction most of us here understand, but like I said, their point is that the purchase options are misleading, and for someone that doesn't know that you need a video file to actually own the media, it does seem to be misleading on the part or Amazon.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of the population is EXTREMELY tech illiterate, nowadays, most don't know the difference between WiFi and Internet.

Edited by wkdpaul

This is one of several reasons why I just stream video stuff from less than legitimate sources. That, and signing up for prime where I currently live would make packages arrive precisely zero days faster 99% of the time.

12 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Agreed, but that's a distinction most of us here understand, but like I said, their point is that the purchase options are misleading, and for someone that doesn't know that you need a video file to actually own the media, it does seem to be misleading on the part or Amazon.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of the population is EXTREMELY tech illiterate, nowadays, most don't know the difference between WiFi and Internet.

While I'll agree that most people probably don't understand...I'd prefer a "purchase" button over "Indefinite purchase of a license".  Purchase is a good term for it (in my opinion)...just like a purchase option for insurance.  Ultimately, while people might not understand, purchase in a digital world is really just like a lifetime subscription.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

11 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Haha, yes this is true.

Some people wont understand the concept of streaming.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

16 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

This isn't really Amazon's problem.  If you're not educated enough to understand 'term's of service' that burden does not fall on Amazon.

How many people really buy movies anymore? I personally don't see the point. Want to watch it again? Rent it. The chances that you'll want to watch it more times than the cost difference is, is pretty low. Plus with services like Netflix, there's always movies to watch on there. Really love it? There's other places you can go to get a copy.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

This isn't really Amazon's problem.  If you're not educated enough to understand 'term's of service' that burden does not fall on Amazon.

And again, I agree, I'm just saying I understand their point of vue ; I have to deal with end users that have a hard time understanding what's an icon on a desktop, or what a "tab" is ... so yeah, I never said I agree with the plaintifs, only that I understand where they're coming from.

29 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

DVDs & Blurays may be old school, but they have their advantages. 

It's just delayed expiration .. . 10-20 years after purchase, good luck playing the disc, as the medium goes bad (unless you keep it in a sealed box in controlled environment.

at least if you're willing to break the law by ripping the media then you can say you truly "own" that movie and nobody can take it from you.

image.thumb.png.9079ddf422b22e224086571c0058c877.png

Pretty straight forward.

This is why I think having a copy of it to download, or owning a physical disc is so much better.  Although streaming is convenient and I can understand people might not realize they don't own the video through a streaming service, Amazon could make that more obvious for people that don't understand how streaming works.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

copy of it to download,

*looks at flash drive

it has about 100 dollars or more in music

yep a ton of albums

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

well yea, aren't all digital products like that?

Not all, no. If you can download a file, then you do own a copy for offline viewing / listening.

The issue here is the language on the platform, most people won't understand that "purchasing", doesn't mean you own a copy of the movie / TV show.

42 minutes ago, Velcade said:

From my point of view and many others, IT IS Amazon's responsiblity (as with every other corp. out there) to explain the ToS in a easier way not to confuse the consumers. This kind of talk is just defending the ways how companies deal their ToS which has been a problem for quite some time. They make it so complicated that on many occasions it can be hard for the regular consumer to understand what it contains. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

Amazon tried it a while ago in Germany. They denied access to ebooks, audiobooks and other stuff but the courts already decided that customers need to have access to their bought stuff or get a full refund.

No lie, this gains traction Ill jump all over it.  I have hundreds of Prime Videos - what Id like to see this result in, is the ability to download the file itself.

But I dont think this has a leg to stand on in court, unless its the court of Social Justice.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Not all, no. If you can download a file, then you do own a copy for offline viewing / listening.

The issue here is the language on the platform, most people won't understand that "purchasing", doesn't mean you own a copy of the movie / TV show.

Though it seems it's like that even for digital versions of games (and sometimes even physical copies). Like many games these days are completely online. It's only a matter of time the developer is just going to pull the plug on the game servers and all of a sudden, that 60 dollar game + 100s worth of expansions you've paid for is completely inaccessible. 

Take the Destiny franchise. The moment Bungie moves onto the next IP (which is rumored to be happening), who knows when they will pull the plug on Destiny and Destiny 2 servers. And those two games are completely online. You cannot even launch a basic story mission or get past the welcome screen when you're not connected to the servers. Once they pull the plug, that game is 100% dead, no one will be able to play it anymore. 

So this case probably will set major precedents outside of video streaming. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

Summary

Amazon filled a motion to dismiss a lawsuit about Prime Video purchases, saying their ToS are clear ; Prime Video purchases are an on-demand viewing licence, you don't own the movie / TV show that was purchased.

There's a contradiction there: "you don't own the movie / TV show that was purchased"

If people don't own it, then they didn't purchase it. If they did purchase it, then they own it.

10 minutes ago, poochyena said:

well yea, aren't all digital products like that?

Nope:

Understanding software licenses and EULAs: You own the software that you purchase

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987