Blocking YouTube, here is why.

oldSock

Hi everyone,

For those of you that enjoy YouTube and the content creators as a form of entertainment 

may want to click away from this post. Please be warned.

Right with that out of the way I will continue.

For anyone that reads my stuff, you will know that "for now" i like most people use the second hand market for computer parts.

Now normally most parts are good and yes you do get the scams, and broken stuff. This is the reality of the second hand market.

However a while ago i ran into a strange problem with a 1070 and it turned out that it wasn't a user error it was an actual problem

with some of the cards. Yes the high fan spin and black screen situation. Now i have tried everything including turning it down to

its minimum performance i even went as far as putting on a custom Firmware but this card was a total loss. yes did try it on new 

1000 watt "new brand name" PSU.

Now at first i blamed myself because yes there was some news/post about it but honestly i had to dig a little to get to the truth.

So i binned it, Took the 1070 and turned it into target practice.

On my way home i tried to remember if i saw anyone doing long term follow-ups on these cards after the release date?

Well here is the problem. Firstly i didn't recall anyone doing a follow up. Now it is not to say that no one did a follow up

it is just i can't recall seeing a follow up on these GPU's

It is always Just a flashy bench-marking experience with some meaningless performance overview. After that they move on to

the next shiny thing.

Then i thought to myself, "Why am i watching this review?" What meaningful information did i get from it?

See many Tech YouTube channels say "hold off on buying it until we reviewed it" Why? What real world test do you actually

do? Do you run these components longer then a few days? Few months? Do you research the comeback trends on these

products? Do you outline any problems normal users will have with this product? Truth is some do but many just don't.

See these Tech YouTube channels will install it into a system that does NOT reflect the real world to begin with. So yes the

product gets the best possible chance to shine BUT chances are many users are thinking "i need a new card i am not going

to buy a new system" and then they don't get the same performance because their systems might be old or not supporting

some functions. Honestly that is fine, as long as the thing works. 

So in short, reviews is moot, it is just a flashy advertisement and that is all it is. They say honest review and honest opinion

and YES they are honest about it. But the fail point is not their honesty, it is the real world implementation and how this card

will preform over time.

Now i hear you "OLD SOCK YOU STUPID IDIOT THEY CANNOT TEST EVERY SYSTEM"

Well why can't they do some tests? I have seen enough videos where they take "oldish" but otherwise perfectly good tech and just

destroy it for  the sake of views. Truth is some YouTube channels have enough old stock to test a few scenarios. So yes they

can actually do tests and some channels with enough staff they can do a followup and outline that "this piece of tech had the

following problems" For them it is just a phone call because they have the contacts. In short they have contact persons and

they have access to old stock.

So in conclusion, i feel a simple followup video every few months would have saved a lot of second hand users a lot of 

trouble. Now to be CLEAR I BLAME MYSELF FOR BUYING IT and BUYING IT SECOND HAND. i should have done the

research before buying the 1070 and yes 1080 also had a similar situation.

So will i still trust NVIDIA ? Short answer is no. Why? Well my reason is if a card is going to give trouble out of the box then

they should at least ask the tech channels to address the situation right?  

Will i buy NVIDIA ? Yes. But from now on i rather will buy only new cards. Why? Because i have time to return it if there is

a fault on the card.

Will i trust a Tech channel again? No... Why?

Because despite their influence and contact persons as well as other resources only a hand full will give you long term

feed back on a secondary channel. Even less will actually report on the problems the product experienced long term. 

So from today my firewall will be blocking YouTube outright. Unless i am really board and i want to watch a Among us

game play or something i will check it out.

But as far as me making decisions on hardware? I will do my own research, find out what is happening and then make

a choice do buy it or not. Reviews to me is no longer even worth watching.

But oldSock you made the mistake not the tech YouTube channels! You are just a bitter old fart.

Here is the deal, i don't care what someone else have to say about a product. If i need it and can afford it i will buy it.

Why? because i am responsible for what i buy. If i made a mistake it is my mistake. i must do the research on the

product i must make my own conclusions. Watching a YouTube review on any product is moot. Why? Because they

have a small sample to work with and many do not do followups.

Real world customers and forums on the other hand do get to experience the ups and the downs of products and

as long as they voice their experience it's hands down a better resource then any YouTube channel.

2 minutes ago, oldSock said:

-snip-

You do make some good points. Like I'm sure many of us still use HDDs to store our games. While tech reviewers for the most part use all SSD systems for their test benches. Some of us are using slightly older platforms that are several generations old but just upgrade the latest GPU and call it a day. These factors do matter, maybe not night and day differences. But these sacrifices made in the builds of actual users should be taken into account by reviewers. I for one use just plain old Kingston ValuRAM or whatever they call their base model RAM offering is. I'm sure plenty of other people do as well. What performance delta should I expect to see? 

The same problem exists in the car review business too. Reviewer know damn well, and we all know damn well that not every one is buying the fully loaded model of a vehicle. Take the Honda Civic for instance, most people would be buying the base or mid trim. But good luck finding a review that wasn't done with the top trim. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, oldSock said:

See many Tech YouTube channels say "hold off on buying it until we reviewed it" Why? What real world test do you actually

do?

Because they independently verify claims made about products and give you the information to understand if there is an issue with your product. Everyone should know that. Hardware doesn't change over time like you think it does either? There's no point in constantly testing specific products years later, we know how hardware ages. Nothing is a surprise.

If you buy a damaged product that risk is on you, because you should be thinking about the risks involved. If a product is a lemon it gets reported quickly (Gamers Nexus reporting on the RTX 20 series artifacting bugs, for example). Very, very little is unknown with computer hardware in this day and age that needs to be over-reported on to say "hey this thing works just like it did six months ago." You need to have your own knowledge and judgement about your specific use-case if you're an outlier.

hmm wall of text. so you got a used 1070 and had problems with it and its  NVIDIA fault? or the problem was never mentioned after the reviews? to be fair the performance changes with each driver update. some times you got better fps some times you lose fps.

also there so many different setups combos its impossible to test every scenario. like gn said that even a up date in the background can mess up the data.

yes there are lots of reviews that are sell outs that's why i only trust serten youtubers. sometimes they don't go deep in depth reviews of the product ether.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

17 minutes ago, oldSock said:

So in short, reviews is moot, it is just a flashy advertisement and that is all it is. They say honest review and honest opinion

and YES they are honest about it. But the fail point is not their honesty, it is the real world implementation and how this card

will preform over time

Bull. Shit. This is a PEBKAC.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

20 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

hmm wall of text. so you got a used 1070 and had problems with it and its  NVIDIA fault? or the problem was never mentioned after the reviews? to be fair the performance changes with each driver update. some times you got better fps some times you lose fps.

yes there are lots of reviews that are sell outs that's why i only trust serten youtubers. sometimes they don't go deep in depth reviews of the product ether.

No if you actually go out and find some info about it, there was cards with real problems on it that was sold new. The fact that i got a second hand card with factory fault on it suggest a completely different situation. But yea more power to you. 

21 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Bull. Shit. This is a PEBKAC.

There is literally a warning on the very top of the post to click away LOL 

11 minutes ago, oldSock said:

No if you actually go out and find some info about it, there was cards with real problems on it that was sold new. The fact that i got a second hand card with factory fault on it suggest a completely different situation. But yea more power to you. 

what is the problem? sory i must have missed it?

"high fan spin and black screen" is this it? you do no that if you buy used there no warranty right? my dad got a gtx 780 i think and keep crashing in  crysis so he had to under clock the ram from 2gb to 1.5 and it worked find. yes he could have shipped it back but he didn't care at the time. and that was a new asus strikes cared.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

1 minute ago, oldSock said:

There is literally a warning on the very top of the post to click away LOL 

So, you just want people who don't agree with you to not reply in this thread?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

So, you just want people who don't agree with you to not reply in this thread?

No i just want i meaningful debate on hardware and the real world aplication

Just now, oldSock said:

No i just want i meaningful debate on hardware and the real world aplication

Your whiny rant certainly doesn't provide a good base for that. How do you e.g. define "real-world application", when literally everyone's situation is different? The complaints about how you're not getting the same numbers from a GPU as a reviewer gets are just inane: no one ever claimed that you would get the same numbers, the point is in showing the relative performance when compared to other similar products and it's your own, personal problem if you don't understand that, not the reviewer's.

11 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

what is the problem? sory i must have missed it?

"high fan spin and black screen" is this it? you do no that if you buy used there no warranty right? my dad got a gtx 780 i think and keep crashing in  crysis so he had to under clock the ram from 2gb to 1.5 and it worked find. yes he could have shipped it back but he didn't care at the time. and that was a new asus strikes cared.

Yes you are missing the point. The point here is this: How was  clearly faulty card never returned? Surly the original owner could have done so right ? Why didn't he. See this is the story that is NOT being told. Why do people have to sell faulty cards to the second hand market when a known fault existed on the product line? That is the whole point to my wall of text. 

There is a real story here, one that matters to both new and second hand users. Why is it not being told?

I am not trying to be a jerk i am trying to show you that there is a question on customer support here. This card should be landfill and the original owner should have gotten something else. That is all i am saying. Feel free to roast me but you know i am right.

An initial review and benchmark still serves it's purpose, and helps buyers become more informed. There is no valid argument against that. I 100% trust my independent go-to sources over Nvidia, AMD, Intel etc. 

A lot of channels will follow up with issues if they become a clear common spread problem, even if they themselves do not experience it. But realistically they cannot long term test all the hardware. Maybe it's the content you are watching or just the select videos from a given channel, but I have seen a lot of the good tech content creators (LTT, GN, Jay, Paul, HW Unboxed) take a deeper dive and often revisit something if they themselves have a significant change with how that product has worked for them (if that was a product they happened to use frequently). Or even just to provide their thoughts. 

And to your point, while some arguments are somewhat valid, what you want already exists. The frequency is not going to be monthly, big channels (especially) aren't going to create work for themselves if everything is going good, they need valuable content that actually gets people watching. Maybe some small time youtuber who does it as a hobby is the right content for you, because if you as a channel do not value the viewership or AdSense then you can justify that content, big channels do not, and can not, and that is okay. 

I get what you are saying, however, your view points have some glaring holes in them, take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Big channels have to stay relevant, this is there full time job, they often have many employees, families, and are at the mercy of an algorithm. So reviewing old products for long term testing will not bring the viewers. Yes, a certain audience will appreciate that, but they need growth. The space in which they compete in is constantly growing with more competition, relevancy and up to date content are key. 

I think you need to look more directly for the content you want, because it 100% exists, and I think you would be surprised by how much of it is even done by the big channels. Otherwise some of that type of content is going to be niche, and it would take place on small channels or forums like this. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Your whiny rant certainly doesn't provide a good base for that. How do you e.g. define "real-world application", when literally everyone's situation is different? The complaints about how you're not getting the same numbers from a GPU as a reviewer gets are just inane: no one ever claimed that you would get the same numbers, the point is in showing the relative performance when compared to other similar products and it's your own, personal problem if you don't understand that, not the reviewer's.

And yea i can see you are angry but try to read the above again and look at the question marks.

Then think to yourself. Isn't it strange that this card wasn't returned? What really happened here? Like i said this is not to trigger you it is to make you think outside the box and ask why did this card ended up in the second hand market and why didn't it end up in a landfill. Why was there no swap-out? What is the deal here. But again please roast me i don't care. I stand by my point more can be done to look at the costumer side of things. 

As for real world. I am running a 6core FX Phenom AMD i am sure it is very old but it still works. That said i don't expect anyone to test new stuff on this old system. However a 1 year old system or even 3 year old system might be a good real world stest i don't know you tell me what you would like to see.   

31 minutes ago, oldSock said:

And yea i can see you are angry

I'm not actually angry at all.

Isn't it strange that this card wasn't returned?

I have zero reason to start guessing why the previous owner -- who I don't know, who I've never met or who I've never even exchanged a single word with -- did or didn't do something. The answer could be literally anything and it's pointless to spend any time guessing. My objection is to how you're blaming reviewers for things that aren't their fault.

However a 1 year old system or even 3 year old system might be a good real world stest i don't know you tell me what you would like to see

I actually understand the point with the reviews, ie. that they exist to show the relative performance compared to similar products, instead of specific numbers on a specific system in a specific environment with specific software configured in a specific manner and thus I do not have the need to "see" such.

7 minutes ago, oldSock said:

Yes you are missing the point. The point here is this: How was  clearly faulty card never returned? Surly the original owner could have done so right ? Why didn't he. See this is the story that is NOT being told. Why do people have to sell faulty cards to the second hand market when a known fault existed on the product line? That is the whole point to my wall of text. 

There is a real story here, one that matters to both new and second hand users. Why is it not being told?

The card not being returned was up to the previous owner. If there was no warranty that could be a reason. Maybe they did not want to RMA the card as it mostly worked fine, or were to lazy/uniformed to do so. This is not a story that needs to be told. Shit happens, products have issues, this is not anything new. 

People are dishonest and either do not care or do not think about their actions. There always will be bad apples and unless people feel repercussions they will continue to act as they do. 

What is the story you want told? 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

I see a lot of issues with what you've put forth.

• Why warn people? Seems confrontational.
  • How are they supposed to find issues normal users will have? When it comes to GPUs, some issues are down to the certain game the person is playing, or other parts in their system. It's an incredibly hard thing to replicate.
  • Some YouTuber's do test cards later on. GamersNexus will occasionally have roundups of older parts. Why don't they do this often? It doesn't make them money. Why doesn't it make them money? There simply isn't that much interest.
  • There's absolutely nothing dishonest about their reviews. Just because they don't do it the way you want it done, doesn't make it dishonest.
  • Their reviews, on launch, are incredibly useful. They show what the card is capable of when it isn't bottle necked. That's why they use top tier systems. Do you expect them to go through, and test with every CPU? Have you any idea how incredibly time consuming that would be?
  • Did you buy a Founders Edition card? If not, then the problem isn't even Nvidia's, it's the company that produced the card. Not the same thing.
  • What exactly is a benchmark a few months later going to do? It's going to test the exact same as it did before, because it's going to be using the exact same test bench. Sure, you might have different drivers, but if you're running the same benchmarks you did the first time, the chances of it changing are pretty slim unless they've specifically optimized for that title.
  • YouTubers talk about issues cards had all the time. That's why, much to AMD fanbois chagrin, their failures with drivers is brought up time and again, or any other numerous issue that has plagued a specific GPU. There will always be the odd outlier, maybe 30 or 40 people have issues with early production cards and it doesn't get touched on too much. That's because it touches a very, very small percentage of actual users, and is usually fixed.
  • If someone buys something and it's not supported in their system, that's entirely on them. It's always up to the purchaser to do their due diligence when it comes to research. No one is responsible for holding their hand.
  • Forums aren't going to be a great place to get performance metrics. Chances of finding someone that's done the exact same thing, in the exact same game between different cards is unlikely, so the numbers are really quite baseless.
  • How do you plan to do research with performance if you don't watch reviews? You do realize that print publications do the exact same thing, right?

You seem to be basing your decision entirely off a single bad experience, which is a very asinine way to look at it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, oldSock said:

This card should be landfill and the original owner should have gotten something else. That is all i am saying.

Ya know; that's the problem with rthe seller not a corporation - maybe he never experienced the problem in his workload, or he knew the fault and was a scumbag. But that's not a problem with tech reviews on youtube. What they give you is a rough number what to expect and any major issues that they can find while they test the card. Its nearly impossible to deep dive into every model of 1070 or whatever that's out there.
If you are buying used, you should know the risk.

Yes, tech reviews don't give the full story on youtube, that's why somethong like googling exists.

For example, the VW Golf is the best selling car in Germany. I was looking to buy one a few years back and looked at reviewa and conparison tests ro see how the car stacked up against the competition. Did I buy it straight after the review? NO!

After the rough idea i got from these tests i even test drove one or two to verify their claims and simultaneously scrolled through many forumy to find any potential failure point of the car, "known" faults. And voila, this particular model I was looking at had a problem with the valve chain, where the tensioners would break fairly soon (if I remember correctly). Of course no one mentioned it in the reviews. So should I be mad about reviewers? No! They have a bloody sample size of one, the chain didn't break on all cars but had a higher likelihood to break and frankly, even professional reviewers cant test every engine and gearbox combination of literally every car out there for 50000miles in at least 10cars each. Am I out of warranty and on my own if I purchased it as a used car? Yes! That's life, thats why I wouldnt pay as much for a new car than an used one.

You see where I'm going? Buy used, the have trust in the seller or verify its working before sending money over. And googling and forums help to find lesser known faults of specific models.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

22 minutes ago, oldSock said:

I am not trying to be a jerk i am trying to show you that there is a question on customer support here. This card should be landfill and the original owner should have gotten something else. That is all i am saying. Feel free to roast me but you know i am right.

thats just the price you pay when buying used. on anything and any ware. i gets screwed all the time. i got some audio cables off ebay a week a got and wanted some orange cables only. well the ship it with other colors so i wanted my money back and ship it back but im probably not going to get my full money back even thow it was the seller fault. i hate it but what els i can i do, ill just leave bad feed back if i can. so i payed $35 and shipped it back for $17 and might get $35 back and out $17.

point is people sell there junk all the time deal with it. no idea why they dint return it. no one knows that answer but the seller. maybe the seller got it used?

some times we just need to vent that is ok. sometimes we are wrong that is also ok.i post and say things all the time that are wrong too. im not a robot...yet.

1 hour ago, oldSock said:

On my way home i tried to remember if i saw anyone doing long term follow-ups on these cards after the release date?

Well here is the problem. Firstly i didn't recall anyone doing a follow up. Now it is not to say that no one did a follow up

it is just i can't recall seeing a follow up on these GPU's

No if you actually go out and find some info about it, there was cards with real problems on it that was sold new.

If you want a discussion about something, it would help if you clarified what that is. You seem to start by saying that tech reviewers aren't following up on products to see if problems arose. Then you seem to be talking about a problem that was known from the factory, so if a lot of cards were having the problem, that would have been caught early on, not only 6 months to a year after the product has been used. Then to finish it off, you start talking about the point being that someone didn't return a product that may or may not have been dysfunctional when in their possession, and that there's a story there. What happened to the story being YouTube tech reviewers not doing follow up reviews?

3 minutes ago, The_russian said:

What happened to the story being YouTube tech reviewers not doing follow up reviews?

What tends to happen to these kinds of stories: it fell apart.

Didn't read OP, just replies (reason is wall of text without good formatting, I'll might read it later).

You should update your title. This isn't about Youtube as platform, while it might be about your feelings towards tech-tubers as group. But if you want to complain about reviewers, why you limit it to youtubers? Why not talk about whole reviewer community which includes written reviews, and in past also published pieces.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You should check out RandomGaminginHD, I think his sort of content may be to your liking.

He doesn't focus on the newest tech out there, but has more of a focus on older (and often budget) second hand hardware. Through his videos, he benchmarks cards that are a couple years old and thus reviews them from a perspective of someone buying said videocards today, rather than when they came out (he mostly does videos on videocards).

The issue is that YouTubers like LTT, Hardware Canucks, JayzTwoCents, etc. just don't have a focus on previous generation components, it's not their focus.

It's also highly impossible to test out a component for long term support on launch and these YouTubers mentioned above don't benchmark cards after the release, because that is just not something their audience is interested in.

Some of these channels do touch on these sorts of issues, just not in huge detail, because these issues are very often not well-documented.

For example, these large channels do touch on very large issues, such as the Techquickie video on what Spectre/Meltdown are and JayzTwoCents' video on the performance impacts of patches for these vulnerabilities.

I think it's highly unfair to judge these channels based upon something that is outside of the scope of their videos subjects.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 hours ago, oldSock said:

do?

BECAUSE THE FUCKIG 1ST PARTY BENCHMARKS ARE NOT TRUSTWORTHY!! 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler